PDA

View Full Version : twin turbo powerstroke

dead eye 00
07-18-2006, 08:07 PM
One of my friends told me his new ford box truck had twin turbo powerstroke in it and I told him he was full of it. Well he pulled up in it just a few minutes ago and sure enough it has two turbos and on the door says LCF Powerstroke 4.5L. Does anyone have any info on these.It's an 06 by the way.

sakirocket28
07-18-2006, 11:49 PM
i dont know much about the box trucks, but a buddy of mine works at a ford utility truck dealer. he sells box trucks and all the heavy duty work trucks, and he was telling me about it. it sounds really cool. somehow, he got his hands on a twin turbo kit that they are using on the trucks, he says he's gonna put them on his 7.3L powerstroke 4x4. i cant wait to see what he's gonna do!

XCpred
07-19-2006, 09:16 AM
A twin setup on a 7.3 would be awesome. I have just the single turbo on mine and it pulls like crazy soo a twin would be nasty.

bigbadbrad
07-19-2006, 10:44 AM
yes is it a twin turbo set up from the factory, it is actual an international engine, international makes all the diesel engines for ford. Actually internationaly makes that whole truck for ford. The twin turbos are not for power really, they are for emmisions, how it works is that one of the turbo is a "low" pressusre turbo, it gets the boost pressure up for the main turbo. It is all for emmisions if you look at the turbos one of them is actually fairly small. this is the same set up they are going to have on the new porwestrokes for the superduty. Cat also runs twin turbos on their accert truck enginges for emmisions, doest not do anything for power, just helps with emmisions

sakirocket28
07-19-2006, 12:13 PM
ahh, i didnt know about the low boost on em. i wonder if the twin turbo set will push more boost then a stock one on the 7.3?

DieselBoy
07-19-2006, 12:23 PM
get a pic of this effin thing

eBone
07-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sakirocket28
i dont know much about the box trucks, but a buddy of mine works at a ford utility truck dealer. he sells box trucks and all the heavy duty work trucks, and he was telling me about it. it sounds really cool. somehow, he got his hands on a twin turbo kit that they are using on the trucks, he says he's gonna put them on his 7.3L powerstroke 4x4. i cant wait to see what he's gonna do!

Well id tell him to save his time. Those turbos for a 4.5L engine will burn up in no time on a 7.3L engine. The exuast airflow you provide will spin the turbo in excess of 160,000 RPM.

you can make alot of power with twins but you need a very large turbo supplying high flow moderate boost air to feed a smaller, high boost turbo.

Bone

416exmx
07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by eBone
Well id tell him to save his time. Those turbos for a 4.5L engine will burn up in no time on a 7.3L engine. The exuast airflow you provide will spin the turbo in excess of 160,000 RPM.

you can make alot of power with twins but you need a very large turbo supplying high flow moderate boost air to feed a smaller, high boost turbo.

Bone

Boooooone, you crazy dude. What the hell you been up to?

parkers30
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
Cat also runs twin turbos on their accert truck enginges for emmisions, doest not do anything for power, just helps with emmisions

Your are quite a bit off, the non ACERT engines don't even hold a candle to the 50+ psi of boost and power that the ACERT line is putting out, I have worked in the CAT plant makes those engines for about on and off for 4 years

nosliw
07-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Those turbos for a 4.5L engine will burn up in no time on a 7.3L engine. The exuast airflow you provide will spin the turbo in excess of 160,000 RPM.

ford having problems? possible ford recall? no! say it isn't so! ;)

sakirocket28
07-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by nosliw

now thats crazy talk! who ever heard of such a thing! ride chevy!:D

eBone
07-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by nosliw

Wanna line that LLY up and see how she does?

Bone

nosliw
07-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Wanna line that LLY up and see how she does?

Bone

if you were closer i'd absolutely take you up on that offer.

i'd spank the hell out of a stock anything. throw what you want into a new tt psd and i'll still run you for your money.

popo
07-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Ford needs two turbo's. Becuase the first one always fails. :devil:

nosliw
07-20-2006, 10:09 PM
TT sounds good, and also will help emissions like stated.

it's not ford's fault. the diesel engine is on death row. hell, ULSD and you know these things are just gutless airpumps now.

bigbadbrad
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
accert sucks dude, lot easier to get more power out of a non accert, and also with accert you get horible fuel milage, no mattere what cat says. also the accert turbos dont last that long, always replaceing them. dont believe what cat tells you just because you work for them.

eBone
07-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
accert sucks dude, lot easier to get more power out of a non accert, and also with accert you get horible fuel milage, no mattere what cat says. also the accert turbos dont last that long, always replaceing them. dont believe what cat tells you just because you work for them.

I have to strongly disagree with almost every part of your post. Except turbo failure, I'll give ya that one. But that happens with everything new. However, your way off on power and fuel. Some of these trucks seem underpowered because with programing, you can have a hundred different power curves for one engine. It just needs to be set right for the application and if its incorrect then you have nothing.

Bone

bigbadbrad
07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
i do have to admit that the accerts wuth heavy hauler programing do go pretty good, but i stand on the fuel milage thing, at least out in the woods, an up here you do get worse milage with an accert, acording to most people who have owned both, and if you talk with most drivers the like like the non accerts better, at least the drivers who work their trucks hard do, and buy hard weighing in upwards of 150 thousand