PDA

View Full Version : 8 plate clutch setup

sburton1
07-18-2006, 08:02 PM
hey did a search and dident find any thing on this so all help appreciated!!

i need a new clutch and i was gonna get that sparks 8 plate clutch will it work with the other stock parts or do you have to get a new clutch basket?? and what is the bennifit of having an 8 plate setup? and lasty where is a cheap place to buy an 8 plate setup!

thanks guys

RiderTRX400ex
07-18-2006, 08:45 PM
it will work with other stock parts, but i read somewhere ( i think sparks website) that it is recommended to replace the stock basket with an aftermarket one because the stock one can actually blow apart. im sure this clutch kit would kick arse though.. call C&D for good prices if they have it

1fst400
07-18-2006, 09:38 PM
I had a sparks 8 plate kit in my built 400 motor. I was runing a hinson basket, and an aftermarket inner hub ( forget brand). I kept breaking the Fibers in the clutch. They would shatter for no reason...

Here is a pic.

Colby from c&d was able to get me an individual fiber tho.

sburton1
07-18-2006, 09:56 PM
so what is a good regular brand? hinson ebc barret????? so many brands lot alot of tech info on the choices.

cals400ex
07-19-2006, 11:12 PM
i had good luck with my sparks setup. the pad on those fibers still look good. that makes me think that possibly the hub or basket may of had an issue. i am even wondering if the bolts were not torqued down evenly....

sburton1
07-20-2006, 04:27 AM
so is the sparks 8 plate setup made of thinner disks? i guess it would have to to fit

lghickman21
07-20-2006, 10:54 AM
The sparks set is thinner but it has more surface area, so it evens out. I have had pretty good experience with them except that i lost alot of adjustment out of my clutch cable with them. Had a buddy that also got them and had them same problem. Anyone else noticed that. (we had all stock clutch components except the clutch pack.)

cals400ex
07-20-2006, 04:34 PM
yeah the adjustment is different at first. you need to make sure you do not have too much slack in the cable.