PDA

View Full Version : End of chain adjustments??

njk4o5
07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Just a quick question. What happens when the chain adjuster wont go any further? Like when it completes a full turn or once youve adjusted the chain so much that it cant be adjusted anymore. Or it is like "perpertually" adjustable

Scro
07-18-2006, 07:19 PM
You would buy a new chain at that point.

brapbrap13
07-18-2006, 07:19 PM
u get a new chain and maybe sprockets.

njk4o5
07-18-2006, 08:39 PM
how far can the adjuster block be turned before you need a new chain?

Floorit
07-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by njk4o5
how far can the adjuster block be turned before you need a new chain?

LOL.......Uh......till you can't turn it anymore and get the chain tight enough !!:rolleyes:

Dannys440
07-18-2006, 10:14 PM
If you are running a stock chain you get a new one, if you are running an after market you can take links out. if you look at the bearing carrier/adjuster it looks like a big cam lobe(oval shaped). look at his piece when the lobe part is toward the motor you chain is at full adjustment.

njk4o5
07-19-2006, 10:45 AM
k thanx

underpowered
07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Dannys440
If you are running a stock chain you get a new one, if you are running an after market you can take links out. if you look at the bearing carrier/adjuster it looks like a big cam lobe(oval shaped). look at his piece when the lobe part is toward the motor you chain is at full adjustment.

whoa there buddy. never just remove chian links. the chain stretches and as it does the links get longer, hence the stretch. when it does this the distance between teh pins on teh chain increases. the sprockes are made to match the chain and if it stretchs it will not match the sprockes any longer. the pins will want to ride on top of the teeth of the sprockets. just taking links out will cause many problems, like breaking teeth of the sprockets and such. when you reach the end of your adjustment, buy a new chain at least and give your sprockets a good look over.

Dannys440
07-19-2006, 04:34 PM
He does have a point, I forgot I had full sidewinder sprokets and chain.

GPracer2500
07-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Agreed with the others--if you've reached the end of the chain adjuster's range you need a new chain (and almost certainly sprockets too). And NEVER just take a link out of a chain to shorten it up because of stretch. That's just asking for trouble.

While I'm on the subjuct, I'll add: Chains don't actually stretch. The metal doesn't stretch, it wears away. As the chain wears, the pin-holes in the inner chain plates become wallowed out. The pins themselves loose material and get thinner too. This is where the extra chain length comes from, making it appear to stretch. This is also why O-ring chains last so much longer. The O-rings keep grit away from that inner plate and pin juncture preventing (or at least delaying) the "stretch" causing wear.

Wildbrain
07-20-2006, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dannys440
[B]He does have a point, I forgot I had full sidewinder sprokets and chain.

If you got a Sidewinder chain than it is definately time to replace it {Sidewinder} with something else !!!
Unless you like to deal with a broken chian on the side of the trail.

Dannys440
07-20-2006, 03:37 AM
I broke 3 stock chains and one Regina chain on the side of trails, at least if i break this on i will have the warantee with it.I got the 15,00Lbs tensil strenght chain.the only problem i have had is where the guy before me put the 16 tooth front sprocket on it and my chains have all but ate away the case saver.