PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Problems

crowdedhead
08-19-2002, 03:51 PM
just a warning...check over your new bikes as soon as you get them, you may have problems as i did...

i bought my 400ex new about a month ago, and when changing the oil for the first time and upgrading sprockets, i found the following ...

went to install new sprockets, lifted up the rear of bike and noticed that the left hub on the end of the axel was loose. it had about an 1/8" play side to side. pulled the hub and found that the splines were still in good shape, put the hub back on and tightened with an impact.

when changing out the oil filter, i felt that the two bolts holding the filter cap on were over torqued, as it took me hitting on the end of the ratchet to break each bolt loose. when reinstalling i found that the hole threads were damaged...the bolts wouldn't even bottom out much less tighten

the hub i think will be ok, but the filter threads need to be fixed, so instead of letting my bike sit at the local honda dealer for months, i'm taking it to my mechanic to have steel inserts put in. i'll let you all know how things turn out.

just remember...just because its factory built/assembled, doesn't mean its perfect.

Castor-426ex
08-19-2002, 11:30 PM
ok

L.Vegas400
08-20-2002, 02:56 AM
when you put together as many bikes as the build up guys do, you do make mistakes. im not defending them, just making a point.

L.Vegas400
08-20-2002, 05:22 AM
hardy har har. listen buddy, why dont you do something besides sit on the computer in your little hole you call an office.:grr

crowdedhead
08-20-2002, 07:00 AM
i hope your not talking about me...if you think thats all i do is sit in front of the computer all day, you got me wrong...

maybe your the one who needs to step outside and do something for a change.

08-20-2002, 08:06 AM
Easy now felllers...I think somebody made a post and then went back and deleted it so everybody should be OK now..:D

Str8Wicked
08-20-2002, 08:54 AM
When I got my 400 the filter was so oiled that if you put a finger on it, it would drip oil.... Never did any harm but just the point bothered me. Also when I bought my paddles from the dealer one was aired to 5 psi and the other to about 16 psi. That was a rough ride the first few mins. before I got off the bike and double checked the pressure.

crowdedhead
08-20-2002, 10:16 AM
as far as your paddles go, which you may have already done this...check and make sure your paddle blades line up, if they have a big offset you will ride rough.

if they are off, just pull one of the hubs and rotate it till the paddles line up.

i had to do this to mine.

Razorback
08-20-2002, 10:22 AM
what part of texas are you from?

crowdedhead
08-20-2002, 10:31 AM
conroe texas, looks like i'm about four hours away from you

Castor-426ex
08-22-2002, 12:59 AM
you took your back brakes off?

cool!!

crowdedhead
08-22-2002, 06:41 AM
yeah i removed the complete rear system...i do a lot of river riding on sand bars and such and being in the sand all the time the rear brake pads lasted only a few weeks...whether i used them or not.

so instead of spending money all the time on back brakes i took them off, and to i removed quite a bit of weight when doing so.

less weight helps when sand dragging :)

RED121572
08-22-2002, 07:53 PM
2 1/2 years ago, when I bought my 400EX, I took mine into have the first service done to it. The mechanic came out and said....."Have you taken your rear tires off, one rear tire is backwards!"

Heck, I rode the thing for a few weeks and didnt even notice. LOL

RED:D