PDA

View Full Version : Good dirtbike for driving on road??

xtullyx16
07-18-2006, 01:20 AM
whats a good sized dirtbike to drive to town and stuff and/or to putt/play around on?? i was looking at 250 4 stroke but those are huge bikes.. and im a beginner i just want something thats fast and good on gas.. 2 stroke would be fine i guess but dont they take up alotta gas?? thanks guys im not lookin for awsome mostly stock .. and could i put on an exhaust if i used it on the road? thanks for all help.. and oh yeah would it be hard to get a license to drive it in Ohio??

firefighterjosh
07-18-2006, 01:36 AM
You can pick up a Kawi 700 Street bike for like $800. If your looking for a on offroad bike I would get a eduro. I don;t know alot about bikes but I think they make enduros from 250cc to 650cc

xtullyx16
07-18-2006, 01:42 AM
i was really wanting just a regular dirtbike that i could ride to work saving miles and gas on my truck and sumthin to rip in my woods lol and it doesnt have to be absolutely fast like atleast go 60 to keep up with the cars and not slow them down.

firefighterjosh
07-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Were do you live? Here in Indiana You can register your quad/dirt bike for the road but you can only ride back roads

redgrizz
07-18-2006, 06:49 AM
well firsy off ur not gonna be able to put a 2 stroke on the road.....unless u have a lot of money lol. A bike that can hold 60 mph is probly gonna have to be bigger then a 250 fourstroke, unless you are comfortable at winding the thing out for extended periods. some bikes you can dualsport can be the xr line or a drz or klx. Check them out

rooster400ex
07-18-2006, 07:48 AM
what your looking for is prolly a crf250x or a wr250 i think they r wr's, the yamaha ones.

bwamos
07-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Well...
If you're looking for a streetable bike a 2-stroke is not an option. I don't think you can license a newer 2-stroke in any of the 50 states.

4-strokes.. the 250's and 450's are pretty much the same size. If you want something cheap you might want to look at a used XR400 (400ex motor). Easy to make street legal.

Also, depending on the state, most states you can't get a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license to drive on the street until you are 18.

brapbrap13
07-18-2006, 08:46 AM
crf250x

Hon300ex
07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
I would def. look at husky if I was you. there great bikes! my friends dad has a te250 and its good on the road but for cruising at 60mph you would need a 450 or 510. the good news is these bikes come street legal. http://www.husqvarnausa.com/ a huksy seems perfect for you

XtremeSkier
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
my buddy sold his 400ex and bought a bran new Suzuki Dual purpose 400 dirtbike, it has the same motor as the Z400 so it goes plenty fast and he still off roads with it quite a bit

ny300exrider
07-18-2006, 11:20 AM
hey, im going to be looking into a very similiar bike within a year or two and i have been doing a bunch of research on the subject. the suzuki dr-z400s is a very popular dualsport. it comes street legal from the factory, and there is a big used market for them. the drz's are very reliable and are known to withstand extended road/highway use without any problems. with some mods, the drz can be an ok trail bike, but when compared to a strictly offroad bike it is lacking. the drz is very heavy which is not a problem for on road use, but could be a p.i.t.a. offroad. if you want a bike that rips offroad and handles like a real dirtbike, but still can do some street riding, something like a crf450x or ktm 450/525exc with a dual sport kit would be perfect. i am going to go the crf/ktm route because i want a bike that feels like a real dirtbike, handles like a real dirtbike, and has the power of a real dirtbike, but can be used to run errands around town, explore new riding spots via road, connect from trail to trail legally on the road, and save some gas. there is also the xr650l which is factory street legal but that is also very heavy and all around big compared to the crf style bikes.

xtullyx16
07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
would a 250 4 stroke be able to go like 40-50 mph easily ?? and i live in OHIO and im 160 5'7 soo would i be able to handle a bigger bike ?? 250 or up?? and my uncle has the xr 400 thats a huge bike tho, very tall i dunno im looking for sumthin around a 1000 doesnt have to look pretty cause i cant work on that stuff but like a good engine that can go around 50-60 mph easily without it being hard on the engine or gas

xtullyx16
07-18-2006, 10:31 PM
bump anyone?

Mx_523
07-18-2006, 11:32 PM
It should.

GPracer2500
07-19-2006, 12:04 AM
You need to know if it's easy or hard to plate a dirt bike in your state. Some states it's hard, others it's easy. If you're limited to showroom steet legal bikes or bikes that others have slipped through the system then your options are significantly reduced. And remember that dual sports are all about compromise. Generally, the better they are off-road the worse they are on-road and vice versa.

I wouldn't get one of the newer 250 4strokes if you plan on riding on the road much. You'll be ringing it's neck out on the open road. They're not really ment to be dual-sport bikes anyway. Way too much maintence for something that's gonna rack up street miles. 200 mile oil changes doesn't sound good on a commuter. Same goes for the most of the newer 450s--to much maintanence. They're not really designed to handle road use.

I use to ride a dual-sported XR400 and it handles road work pretty well--especially for around town. Actually, it was a blast. If you plan on hitting freeways/highways for more than a mile or two at a time, then a 650 would be better. XR650Ls and DR650s can be found used pretty cheap. They're also very durable.

I currently ride a dual-sported XR650R and absolutely love it. It gobbles up the desert like few other bikes can while being comfortable enough for daily road use. I find the XR650R to be a VERY good compromise. It's a bike big in the tight stuff but is cabable of most anything.

If you're just looking for an inexpensive play bike that can also get you around town, maybe look for a DR350 (they can be found for very low prices) or an XR400. I believe the DR350 is factory street legal. The XR400 would require (at the minimum) a visit to your MVD. The XRL and DR 650s will be better on-road but less fun for playing around off-road. And they're both factory street legal.

Just to sum up, look for these bikes (in no particular order) and see what suits your fancy:

-DR350 (street legal)
-XR400
-XR600
-XR650L (street legal, great bike that will last FOREVER, very tall seat)
-DR650 (street legal, slightly better on-road than the XR650L but not quite as good off-road)
-XR650R (my choice if you can plate a dirt bike in your state)
-DRZ-400E/R (pretty darn good all around)
-DRZ-400S (street legal, a little softer than the other DRZ)
-WR400/416/426/450 (expensive and more maintanence than the others but a terrific dirt bike that can handle some road work)
-DR200 (street legal, but slow)
-any Honda XRL model (street legal, might be able to find an old XR350L or something for cheap)
-KLX250S (street legal, new model so not much used to choose from, smallish engine for much road work)

That's not a complete list but I think those are the types of bikes you should be looking for....

ny300exrider
07-19-2006, 11:46 AM
very good post gpracer, id say thats all the info you need. after looking into the whole dual sported 450x/exc idea, im pretty sure im decided on staying with the drz400s. the used market for them is good, you can find them pretty cheap, there is a TON of info floating around the web on them, mods are very abundant, and they come street legal from the factory which is a huge plus. the motor is very reliable unlike the high maintenance race motors in 250/450f bikes and road riding will be a sinch. i already have a whole list of mods i will be doing since the drz s isnt perfect for me stock, but by the time im done with it, it should be pretty cool. as long as i can ride wherever i rode my quad, and cruise around town, ill be a happy camper.

if i was you with your price range, i would look for a older dr350