PDA

View Full Version : too much sleep?

Warnerade
07-17-2006, 10:01 PM
I have always heard that the perfect amount of sleep a night is 8 hours...well, I've been trying to get 8 hours of sleep every night now for the past few months, wether im going to work at 4am, 5am, 6 or 7...and every morning im still just as tired as if i was to go to bed and get 5 hours of sleep...

why am i always so tired?

Pappy
07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
do you drink alot of caffiene or eat alot of sugary foods?

Hondadudeehhhh
07-17-2006, 10:03 PM
bad diet? I always eat breakfast and have energy the entire day. As long as its a big waffle breakfast in the morning, i could get less than 5 hours of sleep and still be good for the day.

Warnerade
07-17-2006, 10:05 PM
I try to keep caffeine to a minimum...usualy just one pop a day...i dont drink any coffee or cappincino (sp?).

In the mornings 95% of the time I will eat a big bowl of a healthy cereal, frosted mini wheats, cheerios...etc...during the day at work around 10am i munch on a protein bar...I try and keep junk foods down to a minimum also...

Pappy
07-17-2006, 10:08 PM
You could get a blood test, maybe there is something not clicking....

I dont think it matters alot, some folks just natural run in high gear and get enough good rest that 8 hours is not needed. I get 8 usually, but its from midnight till 8 am or so:p

Jake250ex
07-17-2006, 10:12 PM
holy hell its good to hear im not the only one in this boat. i am so tired i can fall asleep standing up, and its happened before at work. i hope its just a temporary funk, but ive never felt like this before and im getting plenty of sleep :confused:

Warnerade
07-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
You could get a blood test, maybe there is something not clicking....

I dont think it matters alot, some folks just natural run in high gear and get enough good rest that 8 hours is not needed. I get 8 usually, but its from midnight till 8 am or so:p Ya, it seemed about my entire life i could go on 4-5 hours of sleep and still have enough in me to pull an all nighter the next day....Torwards the end of my senior year i started getting like 8-10 horus of sleep a night, and i felt great every morning..then as soon as i graduated i started going into work at 4am to work a 12 hour day, i would have wake up at 3am...i was going to bed around 6:30-7 at night...and when i woke up in the morning i felt like i just went to sleep?

I change my sleeping schedule a lot, i go from going in at 4 to going in at 7 all the time..and go in between those times also. Is it possible my sleep schedule is just not constant enough?

Pappy
07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Possibly, and your getting older. Changes happen:p

When I was 16, I would go to bed at 1 am, be up at 6 am for school, and some nights that involved being gone on a fire call. After I turned 21 it all seemed to catch up to me and no matter how much sleep I got I was still dog tired but managable.

Now adays, I have just given up. I go to bed when I am tired, and I wake up when I wake up. I am very fortunate to have that freedom, not sure if I could function any other way:(

firefighterjosh
07-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I work 3rds and site right nex to the sup. Its nice I get to sleep around 8am then wake up at 1pm and have alot of energy. The only bad part is about 4am - 6am. That is when it hits me

honduh440
07-17-2006, 10:26 PM
10 hours is my perfect time. i get 8 hours usually on work days and by 2 o clock im fightin to stay awake.

Warnerade
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Possibly, and your getting older. Changes happen:p

When I was 16, I would go to bed at 1 am, be up at 6 am for school, and some nights that involved being gone on a fire call. After I turned 21 it all seemed to catch up to me and no matter how much sleep I got I was still dog tired but managable.

Now adays, I have just given up. I go to bed when I am tired, and I wake up when I wake up. I am very fortunate to have that freedom, not sure if I could function any other way:( I really do think its just my schedule isnt constant enough...one week ill do something, the next week ill shift it 3-4 hours...

Mx_523
07-17-2006, 11:06 PM
During school days I go to bed at 1am and wake up at 6am. Slept on a 45 minute bus ride. Then was fine inschool as long as something was there to hold my attention. If it didn't interest me I would dose off and fall asleep. I tried to go to bed eairler but I wouldn't fall asleep until 12 or 1am. But about once a month during the school year I would fall asleep from about 6pm til 6am and felt really really great the next morning. Now during the summer I sleep monday through saterday from about 2:30-4:00am to 9-1pm, depending on what day it is and how much I worked that nite. Just find the right schedule that will make you feel great in the morning and stick to it I soppose.