PDA

View Full Version : 400ex tie rod adjustment problem

MarkN05
07-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I've been working on my 400ex and found that I had been running it with a full inch of toe in. I had to change it badly. I was told that 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch was roughly the proper toe in on it, so I got it within that range very easily.

The problem is, my handlebars are turned slightly when I'm riding in a straight line. Is there a trick to this or do I need to spend another 3 hours trying to get it straightened out?

I had the handlebars straight when I started, everything went fine on that note, but I just can't get the wheels good and straight.

exboomer
07-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Example, If your bars are slightly to the right, straighten them out (which would put your tires left). Then loosen and turn each adjuster the SAME amount bringing each tire to the right. Make sure you are careful the tire is going in the direction you want. You should only have to turn each side VERY little. If the bars are left, just do that procedure the other way. Check toe when your done.

plkmonster2
07-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Make sure your tie rods are the same length. I can get you my measurements. I put them the same, and adjusted each in or out to get the right toe in. If this doesn't work, your steering stem could be bent.

MarkN05
07-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the help, I ended up fixing it perfectly with careful use of a tape measure, straps on the handle bars, and tensioned up some fishing line to help make sure things were right. Everything is good and straight.

guinness77
07-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by exboomer
Example, If your bars are slightly to the right, straighten them out.

That's the best phrase I've seen in a while.
LOLOLOL