PDA

View Full Version : faint engine knocking

1ride2for-god
07-17-2006, 05:51 PM
I was just wondering why my 06 Rancher 350 has a faint knocking sound coming from the engine. I can't tell exactly where it comes from, but sounds like the top. It just started a few hundred miles ago. I ride a lot, so that might have something to do with it. God bless you.:)

400eXr1d3rZ
07-17-2006, 05:57 PM
A knocking sound, or a tick? If its a ticking sound then you should adjust your vavles.

DieselBoy
07-17-2006, 06:27 PM
verify it's not a tick, and we can go from there. further description is required.

1ride2for-god
07-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Now that you say tick, that sounds more like what it is. Now that I think about it, it doesn't knock, it's a tick tick tick.......

bwamos
07-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Is is a consistent tick at all rpms... or does it occur when the engine is under load, like heavy acceleration going up a hill.

RiderTRX400ex
07-18-2006, 03:28 PM
the tick is pretty normal on the aircooled hondas, not an outrageous ticking though.. have your valves adjusted. if it does it underload, maybe the camchain is getting worn (stretched), but doesnt sound very likely because its an 06. it probably just needs a valve adjustment. get it serviced or DIY

1ride2for-god
07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Ok, I've taken a carb apart and put it back together without instructions. Just tell me what tools I need to adjust valves and I can probly DIM. thanx you gyz! God bless you.

John

mastinson
07-18-2006, 07:06 PM
If its only during idle its normal for a rancher, I was worried about my 06 also but the dealer started another one up to show me its normal. Also its so faint most people don't even notice its there, but if you want it to go away just raise the idle speed a hair.

400exrules
07-18-2006, 07:23 PM
if there is a heatshield on a rancher, grab it and see if the noise stops. that happened to me, but it was more of a pinging noise

DieselBoy
07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Light valve ticking is normal. People mix up ticks with knocks and that makes all the difference in the world when diagnosing things. Valve adjustments are quite simple. It generally consists of removing the plastic, tank, and "inspection holes" on the valve cover where the rocker arms will be exposed. you use the appropriate feeler guage between the rocker arm and the valve, and you loosen the arm and adjust it until there's a slight drag, retighten, and repeat for all valves. Good luck.