PDA

View Full Version : Full Exhaust + Cam + Piston

ghott
07-17-2006, 01:33 PM
So here is the deal, I should be getting a pretty good payday soon...as I am trying to sell my YFZ450.

I want to put some money into my TRX and make it a bit more potent.

My mods are listed in my signature as to what little bit has been done to my 450r already. I am unsure if anyone needs this information in regards to the questions I ask, but I'm 160lbs. and ride between 800-1600 feet above sea level.

Here goes...

What I don't want to do is buy race gas...so the piston size will be controlled by the type of gas I have around here, which is 93 octane.

What I want to do is try and make a really nice combination of: a full exhaust system, radical cam, and bigger piston. I am looking for them to all compliment one another. Now on with the questions....

As for a full exhaust, I was looking at Dasa, Rossier, HMF, and Yoshi pipes as they seem to be some of the favored brands and I was hoping that would have some pretty nice power gains as well. Which one is the most quiet?? I would prefer a quiet pipe for where I ride. Which one will compliment the Cam and Piston?

The cam I would like to go with is either the Hot Cams Stage 2, or the 04/05 HRC Cam. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two because I don't know which cam will compliment a full exhaust and higher compression. I've read that the 04/05 HRC Cam is a good mid to topend cam, while loosing a bit of bottom end..but will higher compression and a full exhaust give me good boosts on the bottom to make up for the power lost? I've heard the the Hot Cams Stage 2 is a good all around cam, but not nearly as potent on the topend...would the compression and exhaust be able to help the topend as much as an HRC cam would? This is where I'm kind of clueless....picking a good combination where each part will compliment every other part.

As for the Piston, I have no clue which brands are good. I read somewhere around here that 12:1 Compression would be the highest recommended on 93 Octane. I'm not sure how old this was, but has anyone disproved this as time has progressed? What brand and compression numbers would compliment the HRC or HCS2 and full exhaust? I also do not want to have to rebuild for a while and have fun for at least a couple of seasons before tearing anything apart.

2nd to last question is does anyone know the prices on how much a piston install is? I don't think I have the confidence or gearhead knowledge to dive into the engine myself...for fear of messing something up pretty bad.

Last question...promise....What kind of HP/Torque gains will I be looking at from the combinations you fellas suggest?

So there it all is, I'm just looking for a great combination of parts that will compliment each other and pull like hell all the way thru the powerband thru every gear.

MAD450r
07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
When I got my R with hrc installed I was thinking I had to change the gearing do to the lack of lowend. I then installed the Sparks pipe that I purchased before I picked up my R [I installed it after first oilchange].
The sparks pipe is loud but gave me the lowend I was missing. I think adding compression would also boost some lowend.

As for usin the hcs2. A friend had that setup with a yoshi slipon on his R. It woke it up alot but still needed a gearing change since you had to clutch so much in the woods to keep it running.

Hope that will help out some.

Modded R
07-24-2006, 08:50 AM
i have a 2004 450r. just last spring it blew up and me and my dad tore it apart and rebuilt it ourselves. if you have a manual that tells you how everything goes it is a breeze. the hardest part was making sure all the timing gears were right. when we had it apart we installed a wiseco ultralight 12:1 piston and a stage 2 hotcam. these two hopups really woke it up. as for losing top end i lost some i won't lie but i've discovered that if you short shift every gear when racing it builds horsepower faster than rapping out the gear. my dad installed a hrc cam in his 2006 450r and can always out run me on the top end but in a race he can't touch me!!:devil: it's all rider opion and what you like so good luck.:D

chad502ex
07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Wild and Wonderful WV!

is there even a well-known builder in WV? If so, I havn't heard..

:confused:

good luck.

WVdude
07-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Im from W.V. and i honestly couldnt name any reputable engine builders.....i kow of one good one..he is a Honda tech here in williamson..
He seems to be pretty good....