PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the fix for this??

QuadJunkies
07-17-2006, 01:30 PM
MY son Brandon was in 1st place on Sunday at State race this wk end ,when he pulled off cause he knew something was wrong...

MY Daughters is showing same signs of wear on hers from the chain,and would liek to correct it before it does the same thing.How can you keep the chain from wearing on this ?

Does anyone have a fix for this? Im guessing other minis go threw this as well .

We will be doing some welds,maybe even an insert of some kind inside the tubing since its hollow to start with .

His motor shifted and he had at least 4 inches of slack in his chain when he pulled off :(

Im guessing it snapped this wk end atthe MX track . Sucks cause this kid was on FIRE this wk end !:macho

Scro
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Where is that exactly? It's kinda hard to tell in the pic.

dodgepower
07-17-2006, 04:00 PM
QJ

Get ahold of Brad Sims at Team Sims Racing. He has a fix for this as this happens to the dinlis often.

newnick
07-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Ours broke about two inches from there between the motor mounts. Funny thing is when I met Markvette, his sons frame was welded up in the same place as ours. We've got a pipe that is welded in vertically between that crossmember and the one above it between the motor mounts. I think the way I would fix that would be to get a piece of 2" pipe and cut it in half. Mount it with the open end down fit in where the chain travels. You would have to cut your frame some to fit it in. This would give you more chain clearance.

Logan #34's Dad
07-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey Junkies, Cory at www.Koolkidzatv.com sells a bolt on (AMA legal) roller that bolts on with the rear motor mount that will keep the chain off the frame.

Livin4Real
07-17-2006, 09:48 PM
We have a piece of 1/4 angle iron welded to the back of that tube that runs the complete length horizontally. Our frame is gusseted a ton, you can just make out the top edge of the angle iron behind the tube in this pic. I'll try and get a better one for you.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-4/702601/sideview.jpeg

QuadJunkies
07-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone.. I knew you would have the answer we needed!:)

Living4real~~ Im about to have my kids welded like yours. They sure are hard on there minis!:scary: :ermm:

Livin4Real
07-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Ours is an 05 frame if that helps. The angle iron covers both side tubes and the whole center tube. The other pieces are custom formed for the right side along with several "L" shaped brackets at almost every 90 degree angle throughout the quad.

Brian

QuadJunkies
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Hey Junkies, Cory at www.Koolkidzatv.com sells a bolt on (AMA legal) roller that bolts on with the rear motor mount that will keep the chain off the frame.

I like this idea, it keeps the chain off it and doesnt cause wear o nthe chain or metal.

Ill give him a call :)

newnick
07-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I was in the process of making one of those rollers for our Eton when I realized it's not such a good idea. What I thought was if the chain is tight between the two sprockets and the roller comes down pushing on the chain all it will eventually do is break the trans shaft. On the swingarm that we have I can raise the bottom shock mount up about a inch and this is enough to give that crossmember clearance so I can run a 19t front with a 25t rear. If I run a 18t front I drop the shock down to the lower hole in swingarm.

QuadJunkies
07-19-2006, 12:24 AM
WE never run anything less than a 20 or a 22 front spocket(22 for the stroker) on the front anyhow .

Wont that make the butt end taller that way??

newnick
07-19-2006, 02:44 AM
It does raise it a little, but not much. While we had the 28t rear sprocket thats how it ran. I just got nervous about the roller pushing on the chain myself. Others have done it so it may not be a problem. Just sharing my thoughts.

BradLoomis
07-19-2006, 09:34 AM
The wheelguide will work fine and the chain won't break if you get rid of the chain tensioner and go with a chain guide like anyother quad or bike out there. I run my chains way looser now and they don't break or come off, so there would be more than enough room for the wheelguide.

Livin4Real
07-19-2006, 10:30 AM
A better shot of the angle iron, and ignore the dent it comes from the factory that way on the 05's.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-4/702601/LLSMC-ESPNRace025.jpg

newnick
07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
What size sprocket you runnin in the back QJ?

markvette
07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
tina
i found a fix for this about a year ago. the etons arent as bad as some of the rest. the eton frame swoops up to give the chain a little more room. most the other minis the bar goes straight across and if you run a big front sprocket the chain will rub when the suspension compresses. our frame break was from hard riding not a chain rub. i tried universal rollers but after an hours ride there would be no rubber left on it as they were too big. i took 2 bearings out of my sons in line skates and had to add a couple of washers to get the bearings to center on the chain. then all you have to do is use a longer 8mm motor mount bolt. i had to do this on bubbas new frame as it is an xtreme frame. i will take pics tomorrow and post. i did also weld a piece of angle steel across the back of that bar. bubbas last frame break was all the way through on both sides of each motor mount and then the frame twisted. it was unrepairable so i bought a new xtreme frame and used 2 rolls of welding wire to transfer every mount from the eton frame to the xtreme frame so all the eton parts would bolt up to it.

Mark

QuadJunkies
07-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by newnick
What size sprocket you runnin in the back QJ?
Depends on the track but we have been running 28 for themost part for both minis ,we only change the front from time ot time for a few of the races lately and its worked out pretty good!
Branon didnt seem to have any issues passing this 250ex this past wk end
:p
http://i.pbase.com/g4/26/660826/2/63653887.G22dGlES.jpg

Sis blew another shock this past wk end so I think were gonna have them re-serviced AGAIN and Im ordering stiffer springs this time around . I think she has outgrown the ones she has now .

Markvette~~
Brandons Cross member broke on both sides... I hope this will be repairable at least until the summer racings over! Whats a new frame run in price? I think Brandons is an 02??Not sure of all the Eton changed on the RXL50 frames,if any.If its OK, maybe Ill have Troy give you a buzz,he kinda has an idea what you mean but not completely.

The kids have really stepped it up this year and its starting to show on the wear and tear lately.
:scary:

newnick
07-20-2006, 04:49 PM
QJ, you could run a 18/25 set of sprockets and be close to the 20/28 setup. That will give you a good bit more of chain clearance. Is your front motor mount holding up? That was the first place our Eton frame broke at. Had to replace the whole crossmember with a heavier gauge of pipe.

Livin4Real
07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
If you drop to a 25 in the rear keep an eye on your sprocket for chain slippage, 28's are bad enough.

newnick
07-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Why is that a problem? We've been running a 25 half the season now and everything looks good so far. There is another boy that has had problems but his tensioner was bent causing the chain to come off and he finally tore up the sprocket.

markvette
07-21-2006, 06:29 AM
with the eton the 25 is no problem as they run a 520 chain so the sprocket is bigger than a 428 sprocket. i have ran 19/25 gearing for a year and before that i ran 18/25 for about 2 years. the chain tensioner is a must though.

Mark

gbcap
07-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

They sure are hard on there minis!:scary: :ermm: [/B]

i don't think most of the manufacturers would have guessed that these kids would be doing what they are doing on them. i know when i was riding an 80 i was just riding circles in our feilds basically. maybe a lil woods action.

now days these kids are mxing and xcing the crap out of them and pushing them far beyond most manufactures expectations for the quad when they were designing it. haha.

QuadJunkies
07-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
If you drop to a 25 in the rear keep an eye on your sprocket for chain slippage, 28's are bad enough.

Yes!!!We dont want to create TWO evils!:p
I think Troy and Billy talked about the gearnig once and this is what they both thought would work best.

Brandon hasnt broke his-YET but Sis has broke hers a few times in the back And we had to reinforce it . Were going to fix his before that happens

I may be sending this off to Pappy to get PC'd and Gussetes as we have a break for a few weeks in the racing , maybe he can come up with something on the front end

newnick
07-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Mark, I've been having good luck with the 18/25, this weekend I'm going to try the 19/25. We're going to a track in Austin thats supose to be a long straight away track. We'll have to see how it works.

QuadJunkies
07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Mark, I've been having good luck with the 18/25, this weekend I'm going to try the 19/25. We're going to a track in Austin thats supose to be a long straight away track. We'll have to see how it works.
Ill have to post the video of Sis and Brandon out of the hole .My kids gearing was AWESOME for the long straight away and pulled off the line nicely as well.We ran this gearing with 18 in tires for a WORCS race(track is WIDE OPEN) and here mini was the fastest on the straights out there (besides the two hybrids) I just really dont want to buy more sprockets if I dont have to, we have bought so many already and this works so well for them.
When its Shorttrack racing, the gearing is dif.

newnick
07-21-2006, 10:24 AM
I hear ya QJ. I've been hesitant to change for this race but I need to try it. I'm worried about giving up the holeshot because it helps getting the lead early. I need to get the jetting back right. I've been running a little rich last couple of races so I'm going to try and do a better job this weekend.

QuadJunkies
07-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Brandons has been a lil WHACK lately too!! He may be needing a new Jug as well :(
This last race was approx 105 degrees,the race before High 80's. KElseys actually doesnt care if she Holeshots too much or not, she likes alot top end than some of the other kids .Brandon likes getting her off the line :p

Heres a clip from this past wk end at State. Ill have to throw up the one with the 250 in there too.The Dad was totally in shock just how fast all these minis could GO!:macho

Off the line clip (http://media.putfile.com/mini--off-the-line-)

newnick
07-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Thats the kind of start we like to have. Just jump on out there and let the other kids try to get around him.

markvette
07-21-2006, 07:13 PM
here is the bearings i was talking about. the quad is up on its side.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p2dd50d32ebabe1cffce1c237930627ba/ede65d93.jpg

markvette
07-21-2006, 07:16 PM
i also add these braces to all of bubba's frames. he raced this quad once and bent the part the seat sits on. if it was a big quad i would call it a sub-frame.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/pd80f0347bb7397df0698dffc19cabfbe/ede65d7b.jpg

markvette
07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
also here is a pic of the angle welded to the bar the motor mounts are on. this is where he broke the frame last time.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p6045e62057a9f236b4bfcb3bd0fb360b/ede658fb.jpg

newnick
07-24-2006, 07:19 AM
One of the boys that races with my son has been having alot of issues with his chain coming off the last few races. He's on a Eton with a square tubed swinger. He tore up his sprocket last race cause his frame was broke and his tensioner was bent, helping to derail the chain. He welded up the frame and got a new sprocket but decided to run without the tensioner. First race the chain came off. Second race he decided to tighten the chain a little. This was after I showed him that the chain was getting extremely tight when you compress the rearend. Here's the amazing part. The swingarm has two adjusters on it one on each side. The chain was so tight it pulled the carrier forward bending the two thick tangs that the adjusters go through. Chain came off. I told his dad he's really lucky that he didn't rip the trans right out of the quad.

QuadJunkies
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the pics Markvette:)
Well... We wasnt going to tear it all the way down until this winter, I guess winter came a little early this year.:ermm: :p

I can see about 50 spots to throw gusset on.
Who makes a Gusset kit for the E-ton anyways?? Hetricks?

Troy is trying to come up with something a little dif ,but similiars to some of the other alternatives.Hopefully he can come up with something
The break looks worse no that its bare :(
Whats the cost of a new frame anyways?

QuadJunkies
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM

QuadJunkies
07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Im sure all the rust inside didnt help matters any either :grr:

Its gonna get a glssy black PC when were all done, Sis's will have to be next before hers looks like this .
Troys also shaving some weight since were adding gusset(starter,cuting lights off ect)

QuadJunkies
07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Im just glad we have a fw weeks to get it done before the next race .Kelsey is waiting on new stiffer springs for her shocks(she blew a re-serviced set last race too!)

If its not one thing... Its another!:scary:

Livin4Real
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
wow, that frame def needs some reinforcement. Almost every 90 degree angle could use a little "L" gusset. Also before you go gusset crazy make sure you have clearance for the parts that go back on i.e.: exhaust, steering stem, etc. Nothing worse than throwing in a nice neat gusset only to have to cut it out :eek:

QuadJunkies
07-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
. Also before you go gusset crazy make sure you have clearance for the parts that go back on i.e.: exhaust, steering stem, etc. Nothing worse than throwing in a nice neat gusset only to have to cut it out :eek:

LOL!! True Dat!:p

WE have two gusset kits on order threw Hetricks :)

QuadJunkies
07-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I suppose now it would be pure specualtion but....

I wonder if any of this would have anything to do with when it got ran over in the pit area at State race:huh

Troy found another break so Im glad we got it torn down!

ACME ROCKET CO.
07-26-2006, 12:24 PM
It might have been a fix for your problem if the insurance company would have been shown the crack. But at what price do they total these things out. You might have gotten totaled out instead of any repairs at all. After all these things are notorious to break after the kids start flyin' like yours do!

QuadJunkies
07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ACME ROCKET CO.
It might have been a fix for your problem if the insurance company would have been shown the crack. But at what price do they total these things out. You might have gotten totaled out instead of any repairs at all. After all these things are notorious to break after the kids start flyin' like yours do!

lol. It might have been overlookedor racing ..who knows.... Oh well, we didnt want to OVERDUE things .Chances are it was just from racing.

How ya been anyways stranger? Havent heard from you in awhile.
Troy said you have been a busy bee!:) ;)

QuadJunkies
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
We need to find out where the best places on the front of the Chassis is to put the Gusset?
The diagram was vague and wanted to get everyones imput 1st
Troys going to use a Chain Buffer (if it will work) we had a spare, they re-inforced all the spot welds,put in a heavy duty tubing that will never break again where the 1st one initally broke. He said something about welding from the inside then out ect... I dont know aton about welding and it was brief on the phone(we work opposite shifts so it was a talk on the run lol :p ) Ill get some pics up when hes done.

newnick
08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2130827401
I've got some pics here of when I did my boys Eton. You have to register to see them. ( I know, I'm not up speed on the puter.) I've got the same kit as you for the gussets. The ones in the front I had to grind just a small amount out of the center for tierod clearance, but you could trim them down a little before welding to avoid grinding. Knock on wood, it's holding together very nicely this year. My boy weighs in about 110 with his gear on and from looking at your vids rides like your kids.

QuadJunkies
08-01-2006, 11:23 PM
I've got some pics here of when I did my boys Eton. You have to register to see them. ( I know, I'm not up speed on the puter.) I've got the same kit as you for the gussets. The ones in the front I had to grind just a small amount out of the center for tierod clearance, but you could trim them down a little before welding to avoid grinding. Knock on wood, it's holding together very nicely this year. My boy weighs in about 110 with his gear on and from looking at your vids rides like your kids. Thanks! Ill forward this on to Troy and post if he has anymore questions ;)

Markvette, Troy tried to call you tonight.sorry we missed ya!

QuadJunkies
08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I've got some pics here of when I did my boys Eton. You have to register to see them. ( I know, I'm not up speed on the puter.) I've got the same kit as you for the gussets. The ones in the front I had to grind just a small amount out of the center for tierod clearance, but you could trim them down a little before welding to avoid grinding. Knock on wood, it's holding together very nicely this year. My boy weighs in about 110 with his gear on and from looking at your vids rides like your kids.

Could you do me a HUGE favor?? Can you email those pics to me in full size?? Its hard to see on imagestation

If you still have the originals,that would be a big help.
Let me know and Ill PM you my email.

newnick
08-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I removed them from my computer some time ago because of space.

markvette
08-03-2006, 12:30 PM
tina
sorry i missed the call and didnt get back to you yet. i had surgery tuesday so i have been out of it for a few days. dont know if i can help anyway, dont know where the front gussets go. i have never seen a mini break anything in the front. let me know

Mark

QuadJunkies
08-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by markvette
tina
sorry i missed the call and didnt get back to you yet. i had surgery tuesday so i have been out of it for a few days. dont know if i can help anyway, dont know where the front gussets go. i have never seen a mini break anything in the front. let me know

Mark
That must be why Billy said you wasnt doing anything and to call you.. :p

What happened??

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 01:12 PM
WEll we finally got the frame finished and starting to assenmble this wk end...
Troy was able to modify it without doing too much. It is now suported by an angel iron support, he went in a added additional supports, re-inforced anything that needed it and then some!
:p
he notched out the piece that hits, it should now be good to go!:)
Kelseys will be next...

I think his frame is MUCH better than it was before ;)

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 01:12 PM

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 01:13 PM

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 01:13 PM

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 01:14 PM

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 01:15 PM

kgmtech
08-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Quadjunkies was wondering who you had fix and reinforce your frame it looks real good, I was needing this done to a Eton and a Dinli over the winter break, so any info would be great. Thanks!!!

newnick
08-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Looks good.

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by kgmtech
Quadjunkies was wondering who you had fix and reinforce your frame it looks real good, I was needing this done to a Eton and a Dinli over the winter break, so any info would be great. Thanks!!!

MY husband and a freind done it .

QuadJunkies
09-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Just a quick update...

so far so good! Everything is holding up GREAT!!
Looks like we need to do a good weld on the tank now,it broke this wk end:ermm: stock form its not the thickest ,would have never guessed to reinforce that one .

he needs his dialed in cause he will now be running the 116 motor in his mini as Sis is moving up to her project quad soon.Actually, he will run two classes since he will have two minis now .

Anyhow, I appreciate everyone responses, you all are always such a great help ;)

QuadJunkies
09-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I forgot to post a pic of it redone.

QuadJunkies
09-19-2006, 10:32 AM

QuadJunkies
09-19-2006, 10:32 AM