PDA

View Full Version : Gt Thunder rebuild.. Compared to Axis/Elkas

Punk'd
07-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Im looking for shocks, but I really dont want to spend $1,000 on just fronts. So my question is....

Would the Gt Thunder rebuild feel similar to axis or elkas? I felt my friends axis shocks and they felt like pillows. So I was just wondering if Id get that same feeling and preformance in the woods.

Thanks

MX#9
07-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I have the GT Thunder package,front,rear and link and I'm gonna
say......NO!

ohsobad_chevy
07-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by MX#9
I have the GT Thunder package,front,rear and link and I'm gonna
say......NO!

HAHAHAHAHA...Good to meet an honest man, most people would tell you they are the ****, simply cause they own em'. ;)

MX#9
07-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Oh,they are def. better than stock but it is not a "pillow" ride by any means.
I would hope,for the extra cost,that Elka or Axis are WAY better.

I don't know and I'm too cheap to find out.

Maybe I'm just getting old!

fandl450r
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
IMO its all abotu how serious you are planning on getting. I started off with some rebuilds and for the time being, they were better than stock and were perfect for the type of riding I was doing. As I became more serious, I soon came to find out these woudn't cut the cake, so time to upgrade and went aftermarket. Best advice I can give is ask yourself how much do you want/have to spend, and how serious are you going to get.

Punk'd
07-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
IMO its all abotu how serious you are planning on getting. I started off with some rebuilds and for the time being, they were better than stock and were perfect for the type of riding I was doing. As I became more serious, I soon came to find out these woudn't cut the cake, so time to upgrade and went aftermarket. Best advice I can give is ask yourself how much do you want/have to spend, and how serious are you going to get.

Yeah im already serious, but my stock shocks beat me to heck..

Does anyone have any opinions for me and what I should do.. If I get custom Axis ill need aftermarket A-arms correct?

jlm996s
07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
You don't have to get aftermarket a-arms for Axis or Elka. They make standard travel.

fandl450r
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by jlm996s
You don't have to get aftermarket a-arms for Axis or Elka. They make standard travel.

Correct. Most shock manufacturers make STD travel shocks which will work fine with stock arms. Do you race? Compete in GNCC? Just local? I mean how serious is serious. A lot factors into a decision like this.

Punk'd
07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Correct. Most shock manufacturers make STD travel shocks which will work fine with stock arms. Do you race? Compete in GNCC? Just local? I mean how serious is serious. A lot factors into a decision like this.

All of my riding is ruff woods.. I race the Missouri Harescrammble Series. Im in C class for now, but plan to move up to B nextyear and later down the road I plan to move up from there.

The type of riding I do calls for aftermarket shocks no doubt.

I've never purchased shocks before so I dont know much about any of this.

fandl450r
07-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
All of my riding is ruff woods.. I race the Missouri Harescrammble Series. Im in C class for now, but plan to move up nextyear to B.

The type of riding I do calls for aftermarket shocks no doubt.

I've never purchased a shocks before so I dont know much about any of this.

Well if you're going to be doing a lot of rough riding, for the time being a good set of rebuilds should be able to keep up. But with a nice set of aftermarket shocks, you can always grow into them. Rather than spending money now and later.

Punk'd
07-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Well if you're going to be doing a lot of rough riding, for the time being a good set of rebuilds should be able to keep up. But with a nice set of aftermarket shocks, you can always grow into them. Rather than spending money now and later.

Excatly what im thinking. Id rather get the good stuff now so later I dont have to worry about anything. Im very intrested in Axis. If I do purchase Axis fronts what would you reccomend for the rear?

I dont plan to buy A-arms right away. Id like to use my stockers for now, but later I will for sure buy them.

fandl450r
07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Rear shocks on the 450R are pretty stout, I ran mine in A Class MX for awhile with a GTT linkage and it worked flawlessly. Get it resprung and revavled for your weight. This will help cut down on cost as well.

Prey
07-17-2006, 03:13 PM
JMO opinion, match your front and rears, if you go axis front, go axis rear with a gt thunder link

and given the choice between axis and elka, it would be axis all the way.

also, is it in your plans to go long travel when you do upgrade arms?, i might call an axis dealer, (i can give you a number) and check and make sure that you can have the bodies re-shafted for LT arms, provided this is in your plans

Punk'd
07-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Prey
JMO opinion, match your front and rears, if you go axis front, go axis rear with a gt thunder link

and given the choice between axis and elka, it would be axis all the way.

also, is it in your plans to go long travel when you do upgrade arms?, i might call an axis dealer, (i can give you a number) and check and make sure that you can have the bodies re-shafted for LT arms, provided this is in your plans

Standard suits me fine. Maybe WAY down the road its possible, but not right now.

MAD450r
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
since you dont want to get aarms yet i'd just rebuild your shocks now. Then start saving for a long travel setup down the road. Thats what I did. I been running my setup for a while now im saving for a tpin frontend with fox evos

the predator
07-17-2006, 05:53 PM
i've had the GT thunder with his progressive rate front spring and tripple rate front springs both, and his old valving and link and his NEW valving and link (still have for sale) and now i'm running Elka elites in front and rear. NIGHT and DAY difference. i don't 2 wheel in the corner anymore, and my elkas arent even close to dialed in ride height is to high in fornt etc. just that much better. if i were you and was gonna get some thing done i'd get the rear done first! atleast a gt thunder link his old one will work with stock valving and it will help the fronts too, i know it sound weird but it will something abotu the leverage ratio and weight tranfer from front to rear.

i have the old style link for sale...if you want to try it. you can buy it and if it don't do what i sid it would send it back and i'll refund your $$... let me know.

or you can get my whole shock/link setup (the newest one)

JR3
07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Excatly what im thinking. Id rather get the good stuff now so later I dont have to worry about anything. Im very intrested in Axis. If I do purchase Axis fronts what would you reccomend for the rear?

I dont plan to buy A-arms right away. Id like to use my stockers for now, but later I will for sure buy them.

well do u plan on buying long travel a arms. If ur serious nothing beats a long travel set up. Dont buy std travel after markket shocks just for a couple months if u plan on buying long travel a arms. You could sell em on here but u wont get to much.

Johnson
07-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I'd get a rear shock before the fronts that would save you some money but I get the best rear shock you can.

woodsman250r
07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Get the Axis fronts but make sure you get the model that fits your budget and riding ability. DON'T get the rebound adjustable ones because you won't be able to ride it to the full potential. Triple rate with comp. adj. is more than enough. As for the rear, have Laz respring, and revalve your stocker and get the new link. I have riden on Axis rears and I can tell you straight up this is just as good if not better. Here is a pic of what the new link and setup looks like as well.

trx400exxracer
07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
get axis fronts and get your rear revalved by DeRisi and get his linkage:D

Punk'd
07-17-2006, 10:15 PM
How much would it run me to convert axis shocks from Standard to LT?

JR3
07-17-2006, 10:17 PM
i dont even know if thats possible because ud have to change shock bodies etc i dunno.

07-17-2006, 10:21 PM
you can convert them by changing the shock shafts and springs, but you would have less oil then an lt shock would, which may cause the shock to overheat faster, depending on the angle your shock is at, it would travel a further distance on the shaft, which would of course generate more heat, so you would need the oil, jus depends

DJJ450r
07-17-2006, 10:36 PM
My friend Ronnie converted his std to LT with no problems.

07-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by DJJ450r
My friend Ronnie converted his std to LT with no problems.

ya i kno, and his works and feels fine, i was just saying, not for certain

kirtob
07-17-2006, 11:17 PM
punk'd

check your pms. I got 04-05 axis rear, comp/rebound, mx link 210 lb rider, one race, mint, $700 shipped. Been posted for a while. I think nothing as far as a stock rebuild would compare to a axis or fox.

Punk'd
07-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by kirtob
punk'd

check your pms. I got 04-05 axis rear, comp/rebound, mx link 210 lb rider, one race, mint, $700 shipped. Been posted for a while. I think nothing as far as a stock rebuild would compare to a axis or fox.

Thanks, but I think im going to go with Axis fronts (standard travel) and Gt Thunder rebuild in the rear. Then maybe later down the road get LT A-arms and convert my shocks to LT as well.

Im kinda tight on money because I just bought a truck. Thanks for the offer though bro.

Prey
07-18-2006, 07:41 AM
i could be wrong punk'd

but I THINK the site sponsor C&D offers the same service

you might give them a call too and see if do provide the service and if you can save a few $$

xsr_racing28c
07-18-2006, 07:47 AM
I've got some Elka Triple Rate Standard travel remote rezzie shocks that are compression adjustable..

They are setup for +2 arms on a 450r and 175 lb mx rider.

If your interested let me know. $535 shipped