PDA

View Full Version : cutting fenders

Rogan91
07-16-2006, 11:05 PM
so what do u guys think of cutting ur fenders??? I wanna cut my front fenders off but im not sure how or where to cut them. Any commets would be nice...

tp300ex
07-16-2006, 11:17 PM
i did mine and im only 15 tape it off and take ur time...the slower and more time u give it the better it will come out

Rogan91
07-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex
i did mine and im only 15 tape it off and take ur time...the slower and more time u give it the better it will come out

weird im 15 to, what did u use to cut it? and were do u put the tape on the fenders?

400eXr1d3rZ
07-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Put the tape where ever you want to cut it, you can use a knife or razor, then sand the edges than take a lighter to it and hold it on the edges for a second, dont burn it, just heat it up.

Rogan91
07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Put the tape where ever you want to cut it, you can use a knife or razor, then sand the edges than take a lighter to it and hold it on the edges for a second, dont burn it, just heat it up.

Are u sure about that? Ive always herd that u should use like a hand saw or something....

400eXr1d3rZ
07-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Those work too, but with a razor you can go from the top of the plastics, to the bottem, which gives you a good even line.

Like keep going back and forth.

AR15 guy
07-17-2006, 12:12 AM
I used a cut-off wheel and a dremel. I still need to hit it with a sanding wheel but it came out pretty good.

I'm not horribly picky so I didn't tape it off or anything.

Funny thing is...I did a bunch of trail riding today. And it was muddy. I didn't get any muddier than usual...

Rogan91
07-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by AR15 guy
I used a cut-off wheel and a dremel. I still need to hit it with a sanding wheel but it came out pretty good.

Funny thing is...I did a bunch of trail riding today. And it was muddy. I didn't get any muddier than usual...

ya that would be handy but i dont have a dremel or a cut off wheel so thats outa the question, what about that little black bar on the bottom of the fenders, did u take that off or cut around it?

AR15 guy
07-17-2006, 12:47 AM
I think most guys cut them high enough to leave it on. However, I chopped mine pretty close so I removed it also.

It is just a support for the fenders. If you chop the fenders off you do not need it.

buster024
07-19-2006, 11:02 PM
There's a very good tutorial on this topic in the "how to" forum. I used it when we cut my buddies plastics. Good luck! Post pics when it's done!:D

miller821
07-19-2006, 11:05 PM
These should show you a good place to cut it and what it will look like. Its my brothers that are cut and he used tape, and I dunno what he used to cut it with but it looks pretty good.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/400exrider4eva/Quads/Sideshotofbros.png
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/400exrider4eva/Quads/Frontshot.png

tp300ex
07-19-2006, 11:29 PM
i wouldnt use a razer or kinves man but jig saw works good...just tape it out like u want it.

Rogan91
07-20-2006, 12:14 AM
alright guys thanx for the help, ill prolly do it sometime this week, ill post a pic when im done.

Rogan91
07-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ride hard man
These should show you a good place to cut it and what it will look like. Its my brothers that are cut and he used tape, and I dunno what he used to cut it with but it looks pretty good.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/400exrider4eva/Quads/Sideshotofbros.png
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/400exrider4eva/Quads/Frontshot.png

hey, ya the front view of the quads side by side helps alot, thnx.

krt400ex
07-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Rogan91
Are u sure about that? Ive always herd that u should use like a hand saw or something....

i'm 15 myself. my cousin did it to his mojave and hes only 12. he did it with a razor and it didn't come out too bad. i think that it would prolly be easier to do it with a jig saw. don't know though, never tried

krt400ex
07-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by AR15 guy

ya, i actually got less wet with my cousins cut fenders than i did before they were cut. maybe the way the fenders deflected the water caused it to spray at u instead of protect u, i dunno

Rogan91
08-21-2006, 08:26 PM
i kno this is a long time after but i forgot to post pics of my cut fenders but here they are.......... camera make my bike look orange but its red.

08-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i'm 15 myself. my cousin did it to his mojave and hes only 12. he did it with a razor and it didn't come out too bad. i think that it would prolly be easier to do it with a jig saw. don't know though, never tried
This is getting a little crazy because I am also 15.:eek2:

firefighterjosh
08-22-2006, 01:52 AM
Use a Axe!!!.....Just joking here is the link to the "How To"

Cutting Fenders (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221923)

FurryJello
08-22-2006, 08:50 AM
I am new to quads and have a question. I have seen a lot of pics that people have cut there fenders. What is purpose of this? Does cutting the fenders give you any kind of advantage or is it just for looks?

okbeast
08-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Alot of it is for looks but if you wanna get really picky about "going fast", think of the fenders as a wind-blocking agent. All they do is create resistance, very minimal, but still some.

armysig
08-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by FurryJello
I am new to quads and have a question. I have seen a lot of pics that people have cut there fenders. What is purpose of this? Does cutting the fenders give you any kind of advantage or is it just for looks?

Some MX'ers (like me) like to look down at landings of jumps and with the fenders cut they are able to see things better.
Some do it to cut down on wind resistance. If you're a very fast rider the front fenders act like wings and it can bring your front end up a lot.

Rogan91
08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
ya i cut my fenders mostly for looks but i went to the dunes last weekend and it does keep ur front end down alot when goin at top speed, and its easyer to see things....

BossmanEX
08-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Rogan91
i kno this is a long time after but i forgot to post pics of my cut fenders but here they are.......... camera make my bike look orange but its red.

I love the nerfs. What kind are they? Also, with the bar clamp that you have, will the bars clear an oversized tank or do you still need a longer steering stem? Thanks.

Rogan91
08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by BossmanEX
I love the nerfs. What kind are they? Also, with the bar clamp that you have, will the bars clear an oversized tank or do you still need a longer steering stem? Thanks.

Pro Armor heel guard nerf bars, and tho's are trail tech bars and clamp that are supposed to be at medium hight u could prolly get them all the way high if u want them to clear an over sized gas tank but im pretty sure it would clear it but ya tho's nerf are like 200 bucks there awsome.....

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 01:40 AM
I like cut fenders cuz you can see everything. Also all the drag shee cut there front and rears for less resistance and weight.

The thing that sucks is when you are turning the tires throw the mud and water right into your face:scary: