PDA

View Full Version : one spark

Tri-valleyracin
07-16-2006, 08:57 PM
i have a 86 lt250r and i just bought it in peaces friday, right now all it needs is to get the front plastics on but i cant put them on untill i fire up the motor. im building a wiring harnees from scratch and it is almost there. when i kick it over i get one spark from the spark plug on that one kick and after that one kick i dont get any more spark. the cdi is new and from the looks so is the coil. i dont thave a regulator for it but do i need it? im trying to have it ready to race by sunday but i want to ride it first. i made the new harrness out of the old one.

Tri-valleyracin
07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
bump

GPracer2500
07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
The power for the spark comes directly from the exciter coil portion of the stator--no regulator is involved in that part of the electrical system. A regulator would only be applicable to the lighting coil side of the stator.

Are you saying that it only sparks on the first rotation after being kicked but not on subsequent rotations from the same kick? If I'm understanding you right; that may just be because the exciter coil needs a minimum RPM to generate enough power to actually trigger ignition.

If you kick repeatedly does it fire on each kick? If so, I wouldn't be too concerned until it becomes clear the engine is not running normally from faulty spark. At that point a service manual (with it's detailed electrical component troubleshooting procedures) is your best friend.

Good luck!