PDA

View Full Version : K&N to Foam Filter

indyZrider
07-16-2006, 03:15 PM
after reading about the air cleaning capabilities of a k&n i want to switch back to a foam filter. however i have the pro design base plate in my airbox. i was wondering if i could just order a replacement foam filter and it would mount right up to the base plate? curious if the foam and k&n's are the same size.

hokes
07-16-2006, 10:58 PM
You can get the foam filter through a company like Rocky Mountain ATV. Check with site sponsors first, as they keep the boards goingl.

I switched to the foam as well for dusty conditions and they fit fine. Just make sure you are getting the Pro Design filter.

indyZrider
07-17-2006, 05:49 AM
thanks alot-i thought the foam might just go right on but i wanted to make sure

rooster300ex
07-17-2006, 08:47 AM
What is the deal with people saying K&N filters aren't any good, and don't filter. I ride in some hellasish dusty conditions, and everytime i clean my K&N airfliter its as clean as a whistle on the inside of the filter,my airboot everything is still clean. I think when somebody has a bad expierence with a k&n. Its either damaged where it needs to be replaced, cleaned it wrong and tore something up, dont' know how to oil it or something.

bwamos
07-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
What is the deal with people saying K&N filters aren't any good, and don't filter. I ride in some hellasish dusty conditions, and everytime i clean my K&N airfliter its as clean as a whistle on the inside of the filter,my airboot everything is still clean. I think when somebody has a bad expierence with a k&n. Its either damaged where it needs to be replaced, cleaned it wrong and tore something up, dont' know how to oil it or something.

Amen.
I've been running K&N for almost 9 years on my 300ex. I haven't seen these "claims" that others have stated either. Hell, I've had the filter completely submerged in water, and it doesn't even let water through. Missouri is very very very dusty, and I haven't seen these dust issues others talk about either.

I know it doesn't filter as well.. but it's microns difference not large amounts.

I think a lot of people hit their filters with a power washer, or just a hose nozzle intentionally or unintentionally when cleaning them or washing the quad. They have to have water poured through them when cleaning.. no pressure. Water with any pressure behind it will tear the guase, and the wrong detergents will eat the glue sealing the edges.

I garauntee.. that people put way more contaminents into their engines by running too rich than they ever do through a properly maintained K&N.

indyZrider
07-17-2006, 09:42 AM
9 years!?! thats interesting. the thread i was reading was on the central and one of the guys had his k&n for 3 years with an outerwear and his head and valves had pits in them from the particles and sand the k&n let through. so maybe he just needed to replace his damaged k&n? i dont pressure wash mine, i clean it after every ride and re oil it so i thought i was in good shape. maybe just a little paranoid huh? thanks for the info

bwamos
07-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I can take a picture of the intake port of my head to prove there is no pitting or wear. It looks as good as the day it was installed.

250r4life
07-17-2006, 11:14 AM
there are so many opinions on this, and you are never going to get a consensus...

but i do agree that much of the problems with the K&N is do to user error...

i have 3 K&Ns and one UNI, and the UNI gets lucky to be used once a year...

bwamos
07-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Aye.. it's Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar. ;)

Toadz400
07-17-2006, 12:27 PM
I used K&N on my 400EX and everytime there would be dust particles on the inside of my intake tube. Filter was brand new, used K&N filter cleaner and oil and never put any pressure on it. Nothing else was wrong with my intake, I checked everything to make sure there were no other openings and everything was sealed fine. I guess it just works for some people and doesn't work for others. I've used foam filters since and never had a problem. The very slight performance gain by switching to the K&N isn't that important to me so why even bother if there is a chance it might not filter as well as the foam.

250r4life
07-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Aye.. it's Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar. ;)

but you see, thats too easy... chevy is clearly better than ford :D

jk...

i actually like the look of fords quite a bit right now...
for gas engines i feel that chevy clearly has the better engine, but for diesel i would go with the powerstroke simply cuz the duramax doesnt get crap for gas mileage...

i currently have a z71, but my next truck will be a f250 fx4 powerstroke...

back to the matter at hand... i also run an outerwear on the filter, an outerwear for an airbox lid, and an outerwear over the hole where my snorkel is missing...

so anything that gets into my engine has gone through 2 outerwears and a K&N filter.

indyZrider
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
i run the ehs lid also but i never thought about one for the snorkle hole. what do you use to cover that?

250r4life
07-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by indyZrider
i run the ehs lid also but i never thought about one for the snorkle hole. what do you use to cover that?

some local shop around here had small ones just for that and i picked one up... it doesnt have any marking on it or anything, but appears to be just like hte other outerwears... you could always get another outerwear and zip tie or rubber band it on...

bwamos
07-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by indyZrider

Probably an outerwear made for a breather filter.

RiderTRX400ex
07-18-2006, 03:35 PM
i love K&N, they are on almost everything I own.. on my 400ex, i do notice the occasional "dust" in the intake boot.. its probably my fault from cleaning it too rough. still love em though

400exrider707
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I used K&N on my 400EX and everytime there would be dust particles on the inside of my intake tube. Filter was brand new, used K&N filter cleaner and oil and never put any pressure on it. Nothing else was wrong with my intake, I checked everything to make sure there were no other openings and everything was sealed fine. I guess it just works for some people and doesn't work for others. I've used foam filters since and never had a problem. The very slight performance gain by switching to the K&N isn't that important to me so why even bother if there is a chance it might not filter as well as the foam.

Exactly I had this problem no matter what I did to my K&N. It was NEVER cleaned with anything more than the appropriate filter cleaner, and then left to soak in a bucket of water with a very mild dish soap. I even tried switching to a different brand of filter oil. Although some oils did work better than the K&N stuff, I still couldn't get the dust particles to stop. I realize we are talking about microns, but if you think microns dont matter then you dont know what your talking about because all dust particles are in microns. Once I switched to UNI's I've had no problems what so ever.

I know that my K&N was properly maintained, but lets say for instance that someones filter wasn't, why should a filter be so hard to maintain in the first place? The UNIS are pretty much fool proof.