PDA

View Full Version : drag engine build question

kiesta00
07-16-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm looking to dump some money in the motor mainly for drag racing and duning. What would be the best setup without spending crazy amounts of money...a slight stroke and bore (4mm stroke and 2mm bore), or big bore (say 350). Also what are your opinions on using alcohol with 2stroke motors? Is a 350 all that badass or can I make a screamer out of the stock cylinder? Thanks

wilkin250r
07-16-2006, 03:39 PM
You don't necessarily have to spend a million dollars. It just depends on how far and fast you want to take it.

For a few hundred bucks, you can get the stock cylinder ported, and the stock head rechambered. Combine that with a high-rev pipe, and you'd have a potent drag racer. It won't be the fastest in the world, but it would take high-dollar motor to beat you.

The next further step takes significantly more cash. It would require a new cylinder and head ($1000 minimum), along with bottom-end modifications to handle it. It will certainly outrace a stock cylinder, but you would probably be looking at well over $2000 by the time it's all said and done.

kiesta00
07-16-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm probably going to bore it to 69mm and have FTZ drag port the cylinder. What do you think about alcohol fuel?

zedicus00
07-16-2006, 06:32 PM
alcohol makes more power and makes yur engine run cooler. good stuff if u can get it. only thing is u hafta purge after every ride.

beerock
07-16-2006, 06:49 PM
well in my opinion the 330 has the most grunt and the highest over rev out of all the big bore.

I know there are alot of stock jugs that can piss all over some big bore but thats the case when no work is done to the big broe, if theres good work done to the big bore well then say bye bye to the small jugs.....

recently my whole perpspective has changed over the huge big bores for the R's especially when comapring a 330 to a 350....

my friend had a fully ported 350pv from curtis sparks and my non ported 330 walked him, now im not sure if he was on it completely but the look on his face later in the day told me he was.

i have ridden some large big bores like a esr 370 stroker and it absolutely ripped i still think overev is limited when you go over 330 from my personal experience.

so take what you like from this post, i am partially buzzed but we all know the truth comes out when your buzzed... heheheheh

zedicus00
07-16-2006, 07:04 PM
heh, i agree with the buzzed bee actually. anything over 330cc gains torque and looses up top. (well anything based on the pro-x design) ive seen a bored stroked stock jug resleeve whip up on some good pro-x designs too so there is power to be had there but it takes a porting mad scientist to get to it. if you want the hugest power possible go with the sabertooth, and there is a new release on the way, the sphinx and one other that i cant remember the name of, all from the builder of the sabertooth. theese engines have the highest power and are close too the best dollar to HP ratio because they come in a 'everything but the kitchen sink' package. meening you get everything from the carb to the exhaust and clutch and crank and EVERYTHING in the kit.

kiesta00
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I've got a couple of friends with lightly modded banshees and I wanna show 'em what it feels like to get smoked. The fastest one only has porting with pipes and carburetors on avgas.

pharit
07-16-2006, 10:47 PM
i know my old R motor was pretty bad, la Sleeve 295 (Biggest you can go without modding the cases and i could walk banshee's all day, but it had a port job done and running 110 octane gas.with an old air box and 38mm Air stryker carb. Very nice power

beerock
07-17-2006, 09:47 AM
my 265 walked all over ported banshees and even some stroker banshees

250r4life
07-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by beerock
my 265 walked all over ported banshees and even some stroker banshees

mine stills walks :D

kiesta00
07-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Anyone know where I can get an alcohol conversion kit for my a/s carb?

ESR350r
07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
There is no real conversion kit. I have heard that a rule of thumb is 2 times your main jet, and .75 times your pilot. If you do that start with your air screw and tune up from idle to full throttle. You will also need to find a way yo et more fuel to your carb. I picked up a fuel pump that taps into the cylinder and a 40.5mm alcohol carb off ebay. An alcohol carb has a power jet that just allows you another tuning point for fuel delivery.