PDA

View Full Version : If you have a 400ex, and haven't changed the brakes in a while, read..

plkmonster2
07-16-2006, 02:06 AM
A few weeks ago, I went on a week long ride at various places on the Oregon coast. On the Thurday following the sunday that we arrived, we loaded my bike and my uncles into his pickup. To get 2 quads in a pickup, we put the fronts in the bed, and the back tires sit on the bedrail. I decided to look for the wear indicator for the rear brake. I had not seen where is was since I had gotten my bike. The indicator was located under the caliper, in an odd location, and it was pushing against the caliper. It read ok, but it looked odd. It was inset from the rest of the caliper I got woried, and plucked the piece of metal away from my caliper. The vibration had dug itself into the caliper. I went to look at my aunt's bike, which is a year newer, but with stock brakes. The indicator had dug in, and buried itself into the caliper. It was actually seeping brake fluid! I wanted you to notice this problem. Pull the indicator away from the caliper, so it isn't vibrating and eating in. Losing brakes or a caliper is never fun.

Honda#4
07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
mine is kind of digging in too alittle and my rear brake is shot so im gonna buy new brake pads

OH'S 400ex
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
i think im going to need some new brake pads too.

you guys know of any good ones out there? and how much?

coryatver
08-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Dang a year newer would make it a 2000 with stock breaks?:eek: I have a 2000 I have went through at least 25 sets! You really should check these things out before every ride! The rear brakes last about 5 good rides.

pnut420
08-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Most people seem to get the best wear out of the OEM pads. Service honda carries them.

firefighterjosh
08-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Dang a year newer would make it a 2000 with stock breaks?:eek: I have a 2000 I have went through at least 25 sets! You really should check these things out before every ride! The rear brakes last about 5 good rides.

You need to hit the gas more and use less brake;)

CD400EX
08-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I just changed all my pads the other night and noticed this on my rear caliper. It wasn't as bad as some of you have mentioned, just some deep scratches.

I get about a whole season out of a set of pads, don't use the brakes much :p

81 clark racing
09-08-2006, 09:04 AM
what is the wear indicator wearing into?

jrvinny
09-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Can't find any info on this but I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads on a 300ex and can get the piston compressed enough to fit the new pads over the rotor. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

81 clark racing
09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
i used a big c-clamp an tigntened it on the piston to get it to go in

300EXrider356
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
I used vice grips, but just use a pad or something so the groves dont dig into the caliper or piston.

jrvinny
09-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the input. Turns out the emergency brake was seized up and was not allowing the piston to compress completely. I got it all cleaned and lubed up and it works perfectly. Thanks again.

dmedal
05-11-2008, 07:14 PM
before the weekend i put on a fresh set of OEM honda pads and after 2 days of riding muddy trails i noticed my pads are completely finished !
I am actually down to the metal backing...

Anyone else with there pads wearing down this quick ?
Is it the muddy trails and the dirt that wears down the pads faster ... I hardly use the breaks at all.

dmedal
05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
oh if it helps to know i have a 400ex

dustin_j
05-12-2008, 03:09 PM
dmedal:
Sounds excessive to me. Pick up the back end and turn the rear wheel; is there a lot of drag?? Do you still have the parking brake attached, maybe it is too tight or broken.

dmedal
05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Dustin : Do you still have the parking brake attached, maybe it is too tight or broken.

Oh believe me i have tried. I took out the caliper, made sure the piston was not seized and lubed up all the sliders. After it was assembled i disconnected the parking brake ( which i don t use anyway) and lifted the back end to make sure the axle was free to rotate even after the brakes were applied and released.

I just can't figure it out. How long do your pads last you ? ... and what kind of riding are you doing.... conditions wise i mean. Appreciate your help.

dustin_j
05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I mainly ride mx now, so it's generally dry and dusty. Which should promote pad life more than wet muddy trails. I've been running the pads I bought it with (used) for a few months without extreme wear. I used to do more trail and muddy riding, and my pads would usually last about half a year, but I was never real hard on brakes. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a really worn disk (rotor):ermm: Good luck!