PDA

View Full Version : warrior exhaust exploding! HELP!!!

Eddiesanders250
07-16-2006, 12:15 AM
my friend has a warrior and when he was riding it the exhaust blew apart. It was actually the the silencer. he has an fmf megamax, what could make this happen. you may need a picture of it to even understand what happened but my digital camera is out of batteries. where the spark arrestor mounts to the silencer, is where ist blew out. the end cap also has a crack in it. i do not know what could cause this. he said it sounded like a backfire when it happened. the packing inside is old and needs to b replaced but i dont think this could cause the silencer to explode. there was nothing clogging the end such as carbon build up. i will try to get pics soon.

ryanh250ex
07-16-2006, 12:44 PM
i dont know exactly what is going on but it sounds like he's running lean as well as the endcap, etc are loose. repack and re-tighten the exhaust bolts, and perhaps richen the mixture, and the problem should go away.

Eddiesanders250
07-16-2006, 01:43 PM
yea except for its a two stroke so that wouldnt work out oo well haha. but he has to get a new exhaust because there is a bighole in the side of it. im just curious as to what caused it.

Eddiesanders250
07-16-2006, 02:26 PM
i meant to say four stroke

ryanh250ex
07-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
yea except for its a two stroke so that wouldnt work out oo well haha. but he has to get a new exhaust because there is a bighole in the side of it. im just curious as to what caused it.

:eek2: :huh :huh

this is a new one to me...

i've had some NASTY backfires before , and none of them came even close to affecting the strctural integrity of my T-4...

the only way i could even see that happening is if someone had dumped some fuel or something else flammable inside the muffler itself.

can you get a picture?

Eddiesanders250
07-16-2006, 06:01 PM
well i got some pictures. it haz been fixed a little bit but you can still see that it blew a hole in the side.

Eddiesanders250
07-16-2006, 06:04 PM

DirtDevilBT
07-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Close up setting! CLOSE UP SETTING!!!! lol

Looks like maybe something was old and gave way. Maybe at the same time there was a clog in the silencer like old packing getting stuck where the tip is. I dunno, that's friggen crazy. I wish I was there when it happened. :D

bwamos
07-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Did he rejet when he put on the pipe?

Does the FMF emblem has heat gradients on it?????? The silencer can appears to have heat marks on it too. If that's the case that pipe was getting waaay too hot.

Eddiesanders250
07-17-2006, 07:53 PM
the fmf logo only got heat marks after it exploded. the whole end cap blew off today after he repacked it

bwamos
07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm jstu saying.. endcap or no endcap.. the silencer can should NEVER get hot enough to cause discoloration. That should never happen beyond the first 12" of the header.

Your friend was running way too lean. He's probably fried his exhaust valves which is causing the explosion problem. (The valves aren't holding in the combustion)

rideforlife
07-20-2006, 01:04 AM
i went ahead and got a hmf pipe. but i still dont know what the hell happened to the megamax

firefighterjosh
07-20-2006, 01:39 AM
I had a 89 Warrior with a Alba Racing pipe. It ran 3 Years with the silencer then it broke. Not sure why it did ether. I think the aluminum just gets weak.

Seano300ex
07-20-2006, 09:38 PM
yeah i had a fmf megamax also and that thing didnt hold together too well, so i got an HMF:D