PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! 400ex Engine Problem???

RBHonda400ex
07-15-2006, 03:17 PM
About a week or so ago i pressure washed my quad like i always do after a good muddy trail ride. I used a little engine degreaser on some areas to help clean it. When i was done i stood it up and wiped it dry and let it stand for about an hour or so to completely dry.

Now when i went to start it, the engine and exhaust cracked and poped and then stalled. I then put the choke on and started it again same thing. So i started it it again and gave a little throttle and continuously cracked and popped louder until i released the throttle and it staulled out again.

I let it sit for about a week the tried to start it again figuring if i got something wet that wasn't supposed to be wet it would have dried out by now.

Now it will only start and stay started with the choke on but it still cracks and pops. Then after it warms up and i take the choke off it runs pretty good but then just staulls out for no reason.

PLEASE help i plan on going riding next weekend and would like to have this fixed by then.

Thanks,
Ron

07-15-2006, 08:09 PM
check the air filter and clean the carb

krt400ex
07-15-2006, 10:16 PM
there could be a prob in the float bowl. something could have gotton stuck from standing it up. it prolly could use a carb cleaning too

RBHonda400ex
07-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Ok, i am going to clean the carb out tomorrow after work and hopefully thats the problem.

Thanks,
Ron

brapbrap13
07-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
there could be a prob in the float bowl. something could have gotton stuck from standing it up. it prolly could use a carb cleaning too

bowl's tend to be the problem. take a peice of wire and pput it throw all the jets before reinstalling them.

2004exrider
07-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Probably a really dumb question (ive done this before when cleaning) but did you turn the gas back on. Usually you turn the gas off when tilting it all of the way back so gas dont leak out. I'd check on that first, it sounds like that' s the problem.

Jimmy

ohsobad_chevy
07-17-2006, 09:41 AM
I wash mine with a power washer as well, and when I start it back up after being washed, it will pop and crack for a little bit, but when it gets warmed up, it will stop. I would like to know what causes it to pop after being washed? I always thought it was something with the ignition maybe getting wet, but I have no idea.

2004exrider
07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Im pretty sure its because all the gas is out of the carb and it takes a while for it to get flowing thru good again.

Jimmy

ohsobad_chevy
07-18-2006, 07:41 AM
lol...I don't think that is it, bud. I start it up after 5 days of setting in my garage and it doesnt pop and sputter. I think it has something to do with the ignition getting wet, but I really do not know for sure. The bowl of the carb was full when i started it back up at the car wash. :)

troutman561
07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Be careful pressure washing a quad.. this high pressure water can get into areas it should get, mainly in the engine...

RBHonda400ex
07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks everyone,

I guess i will just have to clean the carb pretty good and see if that works.

But i was just talking to one of my riding buddies and he said empty the gas tank and try new fuel. I might have gotten some bad fuel or even got some water in the tank somehow.

Sounds like it is possible.

I thought i might be the ignition too, but wouldn't you think if it sat for about a week it would have dried out?