PDA

View Full Version : kick start fab

mudmann
07-14-2006, 04:07 PM
I was just reading a post about a 300ex modded and the poster had the idea of putting a 350x bottom end on it and having a kick start. So I got the idea of putting a XR400 bottom end with a 400ex top on a 400ex to have kickstart on a 400ex. Now my questions; would the xr bottom work with the ex top and would the xr bottom allow kick and electric start? Also, would this work with the new ex's reverse?

Floorit
07-14-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm going to say it won't work.... the electric start on the 400 tranny. But, then again, you'll have to get a look at the both of them and see if the cases are the same mould.

mudmann
07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
ok but would this be a way to make the ex have kick start?

Floorit
07-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by mudmann
ok but would this be a way to make the ex have kick start?

Possibly......like I said, you have to look at the cases and compare them.

Try doing a google search for "400ex kickstart"

07-14-2006, 11:58 PM
you are willing to do all that for a kickstart?

just act like your kicking it when you hit the start button

400eXr1d3rZ
07-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Kickstart Doesnt suck in every situation. Id MUCH rather a kickstart 400ex than electric start.

mudmann
07-16-2006, 08:48 AM
What does a decompressioner or hot start do on a 4stroke kickstart? Cuz that is another thing that would have to done. Would the XR one work on the ex with the above working?

Floorit
07-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by mudmann
What does a decompressioner or hot start do on a 4stroke kickstart? Cuz that is another thing that would have to done. Would the XR one work on the ex with the above working?

Called a compression release...it releases the pressure of the piston as it slides up the cylinder to the top. Makes it easier for the engine to be started.

I still remember my XR500. That thing was a beast. If I didn't use the compression release when I was trying to start it, sometimes it liked to try to break my foot...or throw me over the handlebars.

Compression releases are a good thing to have...LOL

07-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Floorit
Called a compression release...it releases the pressure of the piston as it slides up the cylinder to the top. Makes it easier for the engine to be started.

I still remember my XR500. That thing was a beast. If I didn't use the compression release when I was trying to start it, sometimes it liked to try to break my foot...or throw me over the handlebars.

Compression releases are a good thing to have...LOL

yea i had a suzuki DR500 and it had comp. release and if you didnt pull it in....:eek2:

ELewandowski
07-16-2006, 12:25 PM
It would be cool to have kickstart, but wouldn't be easier to just swap the whole XR motor into the 400ex. I don't know, i never built a hybrid before, but it seems like less hassle to put a new motor in with kickstart. It would have tons more power too.

fox17
07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
you are willing to do all that for a kickstart?

just act like your kicking it when you hit the start button

you can act like you are kickstarting it all day long when you hit the button but if the battery or starter go bad it aint gonna start. it would utterly suck to have to push or have someone pull you out of the woods or not be able to go riding cause of that.

i think the whole xr engine is the best idea. it is probably faster but it dont have reverse. i never use reverse anyway but...

Floorit
07-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Problem with putting the motor from a bike in a quad is...the kickstarter operates to the back of the bike. You'd have to take off or cut the fenders to have it workable. Quads with kickstarters go forward

07-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by fox17
you can act like you are kickstarting it all day long when you hit the button but if the battery or starter go bad it aint gonna start. it would utterly suck to have to push or have someone pull you out of the woods or not be able to go riding cause of that.

i think the whole xr engine is the best idea. it is probably faster but it dont have reverse. i never use reverse anyway but...

what if your 4 wheeler doesnt crank and your leg falls off from kicking the crap out of it. It gets really annoying.

ive dealed with many kickstart dirtbikes/4 wheelers and i would rather have electric start any day!

Floorit
07-16-2006, 07:06 PM
True that. I've been there also. But at that point in the game if the bike won't start with a kicker, a battery ain't much good neither. Batteries tend to drain down if the quad doesn't fire...kickstarters are pretty much bulletproof and a proven way of firing it up without a button.

Then again......I know EXACTLY where yer comin from when your boot and right leg are laying on the ground:eek2: :mad: :grr:

deathman53
07-17-2006, 08:06 PM
a xr400 motor is pretty much the same as trx400ex, but the 400ex has different tranny gears, cluth, lower compression top end and milder cam. Most xr400 stuff works on 400ex's. Infact the hison cluth covers are just xr400 covers with the kicker hole welded up.