PDA

View Full Version : Bead sealing problems.

timewass
08-18-2002, 08:23 PM
I have a 2002 400EX with White Brothers rear wheels. Ijust got a new set of radials and cannot get the inner bead to pop into place. I've tried every type of lube imaginable and I even tried to ratchet strap the tire almost tight to the wheel and put 40 PSI in it. I broke the strap and I still have a seperated inner bead. It holds air and itn's leaking, but it's out of place. I'll try to post a pic if I can.

racer_ex55
08-19-2002, 10:48 AM
Use wheel bearing grease on the rim and bead of the tire. You'll also have to remove the valve stem. Not the stem but the little piece inside. You need a tool for that and will be able to find it at a local hardware store or bicycle shop. Then use a gun and blast as much air as you can into the tire.

UglyMotha™
08-19-2002, 11:34 AM
i always use tranny fluid works like a charm, and i wouldn't blast as much air as possible cause i had one burst at 52 psi:huh wasn't to pleasent so i wouldn't go above 45 if i was you somtime you can put 40 in it then smack it with a sledge hammer right where the bead needs to set and in will slip in after a couple whacks

L.Vegas400
08-19-2002, 01:17 PM
the little piece - valve core

Scott
08-19-2002, 01:24 PM
So I'm guessing you already tried dishsoap? Most of the time I'll just use bead sealant, but if I'm out of that I use dishsoap. Normally they'll pop on with about 20psi. Most don't even need the rachet strap.

If you've already tried this, post everything you've tried so we don't repeat things you already know.

timewass
08-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Actually I only tried WD40 and bead sealer/tire install lube. none of these worked. I will try dishsoap, hopefully it will work.

Scott
08-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Put it on the rim and the tire bead. It should slide right on.

JabberJaw
08-19-2002, 01:43 PM
ASTRO GLIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!!!!

Sick0
08-19-2002, 03:41 PM
A more radical solution to tire promble is to put lighter fluid in and light it. Not to much and be careful. Its should pop it on its bead. It may not be the safest way to do it but it works on the most difficult tires.

RideRed400StYlE
08-20-2002, 12:38 PM
We use carb cleaner on our tires.. just spray some inside, and put a trace to hte outside of the tire, and light it on the outside. **BOOM!!** the tire will be on and blown up like a baloon.. and then it will slowly deflate, and you can put air in it. this is not the safest way, but it is most effective.. WD40 works, but not that good, I never tried lighter fluid, and I wouldnt use gas, just because. the carb cleaner is flamable as is the arosol(sp?) so it lights fast and it really puts it on the bead. just make sure you get out of the way when you light it.. lol

L.Vegas400
08-21-2002, 09:08 AM
another really dangerous one is starter fluid. its the most explosive spray ive seen. just a tiny spuirt in a vehicle tire does the trick. i wouldnt suggest these unless you have done it before. very dangerous.:devil

Sick0
08-21-2002, 02:26 PM
Like I said its a more extreme way of getting the tire. Be safe.