PDA

View Full Version : I just can't get it right?

rooster300ex
07-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Alright man i took my carb and set the needle to the 3rd groove(4th is what DJ says),put the 124DJ, and turned the fuel screw 2.5 turns out, and it seems boggish, and when i put my airbox cover on it got worse. i let it idle for alil while to get it warmed up and when i would crack the throttle open really really quick it would bog and die if i kept the throttle WFO, it did this worse when i put the airbox lid on it.

Do you think i need to put the needle on the 4th groove,128DJ,2.5 turns on the fuel screw or what. what do ya think.

swva400ex
07-14-2006, 05:48 AM
it sounds like you are jetting for no airbox lid. its running to rich. have you checked the plug to see how it is burning.

bwamos
07-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Alright man i took my carb and set the needle to the 3rd groove(4th is what DJ says),put the 124DJ, and turned the fuel screw 2.5 turns out, and it seems boggish, and when i put my airbox cover on it got worse. i let it idle for alil while to get it warmed up and when i would crack the throttle open really really quick it would bog and die if i kept the throttle WFO, it did this worse when i put the airbox lid on it.

Do you think i need to put the needle on the 4th groove,128DJ,2.5 turns on the fuel screw or what. what do ya think.

Below 3000ft with Aftermarket pipe, Aftermarket Filter, and Airbox lid OFF: 128dj, 3 turns out, and DJ needle in 4th slot was dang near perfect on my 300ex.

If you want to run with the lid on, you have to drop the main down to an 118dj.

Just use what the instructions say for your altitude/setup combination. They are pretty dang close for the 300ex.

Incase you don't have the instructions handy.
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q101.pdf

Use the stage2 instructions for no-lid. stage1 w/ lid. I personally run no lid, just remove the drain plug from the bottom of the airbox so the water that splashes in can drain out. ;)

You're probably bogging in both areas because your misjetted.
Lid off you're bogging because the needle is too lean. Lid on your dogging because the main will be too rich.

Being that you have an 11:1 piston may throw it off a bit.. but it shouldn't throw it off much. Also I don't know how the cobra pipe flows compared to other aftermarkets, but it should still flow better than the stocker.

Iliketogofast
07-14-2006, 07:09 AM
You're TOO RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're trying to go fatter when you need to go down!

rooster300ex
07-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Below 3000ft with Aftermarket pipe, Aftermarket Filter, and Airbox lid OFF: 128dj, 3 turns out, and DJ needle in 4th slot was dang near perfect on my 300ex.

If you want to run with the lid on, you have to drop the main down to an 118dj.

Just use what the instructions say for your altitude/setup combination. They are pretty dang close for the 300ex.

Incase you don't have the instructions handy.
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q101.pdf

Use the stage2 instructions for no-lid. stage1 w/ lid. I personally run no lid, just remove the drain plug from the bottom of the airbox so the water that splashes in can drain out. ;)

You're probably bogging in both areas because your misjetted.
Lid off you're bogging because the needle is too lean. Lid on your dogging because the main will be too rich.

Being that you have an 11:1 piston may throw it off a bit.. but it shouldn't throw it off much. Also I don't know how the cobra pipe flows compared to other aftermarkets, but it should still flow better than the stocker.

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what i set my carb up too last night,execpt i turn the fuel screw 2 3/4 turns out. When i first got the kit this is what i did too, and it would cut out when i was barely on the throttle crusin around. Thats why i set the fuel screw where it is. And what about this guy saying i'm to rich, i'm going fatter when i shouldn't be. I think i'll never be able to get it finely tuned, because i think if it was givin a pressure test it would fail. I've read an engine with leaks can never be finely tuned.

swva400ex
07-14-2006, 09:34 AM
yeah the pressure thing is true.my 400 when i first jetted it did the same thing. the problem was the position of the needle.took me a while to figure it out. i kept over looking it.

rooster300ex
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Yea i tried the needle on the 3rd groove, that wasn't working at all. I think i have it right now. i'll have to ride it for awhile to see what happens though.