PDA

View Full Version : Installing Pro Design Kill switch?

bluebaron
07-13-2006, 06:21 PM
2 questions.

How do i install one, and does it matter which way to do it if its an electric start??

450R_lover
07-13-2006, 06:44 PM
I just recently did this on my 04' which is kick start. What you do is take the wire that they said is the ground (short or long I dont remember) and ground it to the frame under a bolt. Make sure that you scrape all the paint that is on the frame off so that it makes a good connection to the metal. Then, follow the kill switch wires down to under the hood where they are all connected. when you find the plug that the kill switch wires are connected to... look at them and find the one that is black with a white tracer on it. Splice that wire and connnect the pro design wire to it. I twisted it good and sottered it on. then used black electrical tape to secure it. Hope this helps. If you need more... let me know.

;)

bluebaron
07-13-2006, 07:09 PM
I remember looking at the directions and it said which one was the ground, but now i forgot. Which is ground?

bluebaron
07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Long or short wire = ground?

IOWAracer
07-13-2006, 08:38 PM
when i bought mine the ground had a round metal piece on it that is the ground so u can bolt it to somthing... not sure on length though....

bluebaron
07-13-2006, 08:39 PM
this one dont have it

DirtDevilBT
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
what happened to the directions?

I'd bet money it is the wire that comes out if the metal side. (opposite clip side)

450R_lover
07-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah DirtDevilBT is right. Where the clip is mounted and the wire that comes out of the end of the round knob looking thing is the hot wire. The one closer to the bars when mounted is the ground. :macho

bwilson624
07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
The shortest one should be the ground. It was on my pro armor.

red2004 TRX450R
07-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
what happened to the directions?

I'd bet money it is the wire that comes out if the metal side. (opposite clip side)

Ya the metal side is ground mine is hooked up backwards and some times it shocks me. :eek2:

Modded R
07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
i did the same thing on mine and it shocked the heck out of me. make sure the bare metal is going to ground and not your hot wire!! i found out what two wires honda used on their kill switch and went under the hood and spliced into both of them. either way if its hooked up right it should work. good luck

DirtDevilBT
07-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Actually, even though what I said would the best way to look at how the connect is made, you could technically wire it either way. I don't think it matters what wire you use as long as one is spliced into the black with white tracer and the other is grounded CORRECTLY to the frame. All a killswitch is doing is grounding the system like the stock killswitch does. When the cord is pulled and the contact inside the killswitch is made, it is now running a ?closed? loop and grounding the system.

My instructions did not tell me which one to use, there is nothing saying even how to put it on, just how to mount it. Pffff. I do however have one much longer wire than the other, by about a foot longer. I think some people are getting shocked because the power wire is going into the metel end of the killerswitch instead of the plastic part. When you touch it, you just grounded the system to yourself sort of. So in the end, I guess there is a right and wrong way to wire it.

Whatever wire is coming out of the metel end of the kill switch, that is your ground wire. You don't want to touch the power wire right? That's why it goes to the other wire covered by the plastic.:D :p

400excracer
07-26-2006, 11:17 AM
In a month of two you will be able to get an installation kit from your local Parts Unlimited Dealer. They are a plug in kit.

DirtDevilBT
07-26-2006, 02:52 PM
but will it work with the stock equipment? the stock killswitch and light set up?

Also, where do you get this info?