PDA

View Full Version : I blew out my rear shock today,, need help ......

frogburner
08-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Today Me and My cousin went to Trail of Tears in Illinois... I was jumping off one of the motorcross ramps and blew out my rear shock.. What do I do???? Does WORKS rebuild shocks ?? Should I just buy a new shock ???? What Do I do... How difficult is it to take of the shock ????

Leo
08-18-2002, 07:42 PM
it's easy to get it off...

as far as having it rebuilt drop the Quadshop (http://www.quadshopatv.com) can help you out, best to give Marty or Jeff a ring.

Leo

TRAIL
08-18-2002, 09:32 PM
Works does rebuild stock shocks. If you want to get a hold of the quadshop then call cuz i have e-mailed them and sent jeff a pm about tires and have gotten 0 response!

monkeynuts
08-19-2002, 03:47 PM
if you are considering an elka rebuild, do some research first! start a thread on here and ask people who have had it done how they like it, and if they have had any problems with it. i had mine done and so far it sucks. i have done a lot of preload, rebound and compression adjustments to it and so far no good words from me. could just be operator error, still trying to work through it. i am going to order a new TCS shock and just collect my losses with it on ebay...go to ct racing (http://www.ctracing.com) for info on the TCS rebuild...

08-20-2002, 08:25 AM
I had my rear shock rebuilt by terry marcum,,no SSD or any of that crap,,,just a revalve & respring for my wieght and riding style and a oil and gas service for $250. I am very very pleased with it,,,rides much smoother and I've yet to ever bottom it out even when i try...:eek: well worth the money..

oynot400
08-20-2002, 10:24 AM
I had Scott for Recreational Motorsports service mine, new seals, oil and gas charge. It was only about $50, then yours may need more. :confused:

frogburner
08-20-2002, 02:59 PM
Well Today I went ahead and ordered a New WORKS Quadstar rear shock with the rezzy... I hope I like it for as much as I paid for it... Very soon I will order a set of WORKS Dual rate shocks with rezzys too. The guy I buy my stuff from is doing some research for me on the best kind for my bike.. He is constantly busy with his Sprint Car but always makes time to help out people.. My Rear shock is supposed to be in Friday, so I guess Saturday I will start putting it on...

400exBro
08-20-2002, 04:07 PM
don't get the dual rates for the front !!!!!!

the the triple rates are wayyyyyyyyy better for the ex, especaillly for mx, you will hate the dual rates if you have driven a ex with any kind of triple rates, ask any mxer they don't run dual rates, unless you race in sand dunes but other words don't waste ur money on dual rate fronts, just get the triple rates..
lata
Bro

frogburner
08-20-2002, 04:38 PM
I dont race though,, I only county road cruise, trail ride, and I jump but not real big jumps though.... Anyway, I pulled my rear shock off just a little while ago and brought it in,,,, Now how difficult is it to put the new one on when I get it? Will I need a spring compresser to to this or what??? Do I need to stand it up or is it easier to do while it is sitting four wheels down??? Lots of time to respond, I dont get my shock till Friday..

Leo
08-20-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by monkeynuts
if you are considering an elka rebuild, do some research first! start a thread on here and ask people who have had it done how they like it, and if they have had any problems with it. i had mine done and so far it sucks. i have done a lot of preload, rebound and compression adjustments to it and so far no good words from me. could just be operator error, still trying to work through it. i am going to order a new TCS shock and just collect my losses with it on ebay...go to ct racing (http://www.ctracing.com) for info on the TCS rebuild...

are you having troubles with your fronts or your stock rebuilt rear shock..?

I'm very happy with my Elka's especially the rear (but it's a new shock not a converted stocker)..

Leo

08-21-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by frogburner
Well Today I went ahead and ordered a New WORKS Quadstar rear shock with the rezzy...

YOu shoulda just had your stocker rebuilt like I did,,,You coulda saved alot of money and I bet the rebuilt stocker works just as good as the works you purchased,,I'm not saying you did a stupid thing,,just tryin to help ya save some cash..:D

monkeynuts
08-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Leo

are you having troubles with your fronts or your stock rebuilt rear shock..?

I'm very happy with my Elka's especially the rear (but it's a new shock not a converted stocker)..

Leo

I am having the most trouble with my rear, but i am having trouble getting my fronts set up also. they are set up for mx. went riding with a guy who has tcs shocks set up for the same weight and riding style, and the handling of his bike puts mine to shame. we were riding on the border patrol's truck trails down here, and in 5th & 6th gear, my bike was bouncing so bad over the smooth thrail that i thought it was going to throw me off. on the same trails, i rode my friends R with tcs shocks and you couldn't feel a thing. i know they are stiff for mx, but my friend's tcs shocks are set up for mx also.

just kind of frustrating, i don't know if i just haven't adjusted them right, or if there is another problem with these things. i sent them back after my first ride because i was bottoming the front end through whoops, and then after that the reservoirs were leaking nitrogen. place where i bought them talked me out of the tcs shocks and coonvinced me to buy the elkas (which i think is only due to the higher profit margin) mad mad mad that's enough rambling...

08-21-2002, 02:29 PM
monkeynuts it sounds like your compression and rebound are out of wack,,like there workin against each other and not with each other. When I had my rear shock rebuilt..setup for MX i too was a bronco rider for a few rides..it took me several months to get mine worked out and now it's much better..works better than the fronts..:(

frogburner
08-24-2002, 10:11 AM
Shock came in Friday and I put it on Friday night.. I like it so far,, It seems like when I jump the quad,, it has very consistent Landings, and VERY smooth on landings also.. I have not played with the pre-load or rebound either.... So Far though,, I Like it...