PDA

View Full Version : Banshee buying questions

wolffie
07-13-2006, 03:12 PM
hey my friend and i were considering restoring a banshee. we were looking to buy a used quad for less than two thousand dollars. What are some specific things we should look for that are "problem" areas for a banshee.

we mainly want the quad to have a decent engine/tranny, and a decent frame. we are high school students so we are still learning about major engine work. we can pretty much tackle any other issues with the body (swingarm, a arms, carburetor, etc.). we also have experience welding.

we could probably change a piston, or do some light cam work, but we wouldnt have the abillities to do much more than that (yet). we just want something we can fix up and ride! if all goes well, my buddy will be racing it next summer.

thanks!

EX lvr
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
87-89 i think is when they had j-arms so 90 and on is better. you can get one for cheap if it has low compression, if it only needs rings it would be an easy fix. they can be tough to get the carbs adjusted right but wen you do they scream. also 2 strokes dont have cams.

flip73
07-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Nothing huge but I'd toss out specific Banshee problem areas as TORS, stock water impeller, stock air filter. All cheap to replace with better stuff. Ditch the TORS, replace stock POS impeller with a billet one, same with the stock filter design - get a Pro Flow or something. It's all most likely already done on a used one, if not it's all cheap to do and save yourself some headaches.

Obviously check out things you'd check on any used bike like the carrier/*** end, shocks, brakes, bearings, straight frame & stem with no cracks, etc. Doesn't have to be prefect, as long as the price reflects what you're getting.

Good luck! You guys will have fund with it I'm sure.

wolffie
07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
thanks for the advice guys.:D