PDA

View Full Version : my first race is saturday.. any tips?

redlineranger
07-12-2006, 10:21 PM
i just want to ask for a few tips for the first race. i know everyone here was a first timer at one point, so help me on what i should and shouldnt do. and just any other tips. thanks in advance. oh its MX racing by the way.

honduh440
07-12-2006, 10:23 PM
i would say just go with the flow. focus on it as a learning expierence and not a competition.

bansheexcracer2
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
use it as a learning expirense. you dont have to win your 1st time.

XCRACER26
07-12-2006, 10:43 PM
i would go balls out and try not break any thing. including your body.:macho

07-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Drink ALOOOOOT of water or Gatorade, get to the track early and don't try to win. Like someone else said, go with the flow.

Doober
07-12-2006, 11:10 PM
ride to your ability...

07-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
i just want to ask for a few tips for the first race. i know everyone here was a first timer at one point, so help me on what i should and shouldnt do. and just any other tips. thanks in advance. oh its MX racing by the way.

Just have fun. There's no point in racing if you don't have fun doing it.

TRX23rider
07-13-2006, 09:03 AM
just go out there and ride like you always do, just remember to breathe!!! and dont put a death grip on your bars, that is what i did in my first race and i got massive armpump

quads14589
07-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah dont loose bring it home for the team:blah:

gbcap
07-13-2006, 10:03 AM
get there as early as possible. relax. drink lots of fluids (water or gatorade). dont' forget to eat well the night before. lots of protein and carbs.

walk the track (if its one you haven't ridden before). use the practice time to your advantage if you get some. stay away from other people for a few laps and then try to hook up with someone fast and learn thier lines.

don't be scared about the start. alot of people are. line up about 8 inches behind where the gate will fall. mid to high revs. clutch to the point of engagement. look at the gate next to you but not the gate right infront of you! pin it till the turn and keep your head on a swivle. don't get pinched. it is easier to loose a few spots and try to get them back then flip and hurt yourself or the bike and maybe not race for the rest of the day/weekend.

be cool, relax, have fun!!

trick250r
07-13-2006, 10:11 AM
ok, heres what i learned to do. go around and meet people. just go up and talk to them about thier machines, rigs, or whatever. trust me, having friends at the track really helps the time go by because there's a lot of waiting. like other people said, drink lots of water, just keep hydrated. like gbcap said, eat the night before, eat pastas and bread... it stores energy for when you need it. in practice, dont try and jump everything the first lap, scout out lines the first time there, then try and jump more and more. for the start, when the 1 min board comes up, go to mid to high revs, put it in 2nd, and when the gate falls, dump the clutch and pin it. by dumping the clutch in second, you have less of a chance to flip over backwards. if you're confused about which gate to pick, go for the middle...fastest line to the turn IMO. just be loose and ride a smart race. have fun, thats what its all about.

XtremeChick
07-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Get a bunch of chicks to pit for ya....that's my advice ;)