PDA

View Full Version : 250r faint knocking noise

quader400
07-12-2006, 10:06 PM
well theres seems to be a noise coming from the bottom left of the engine... knocking is the closest thing i can think of to compare it too... what could this be? any help appriciated

86 Quad R
07-13-2006, 07:39 AM
is this noise something that started recently or what?

TheFontMaster
07-13-2006, 08:21 AM
250r's always have a slight knocking sound that comes from the bottom end. Unless its unusualy loud, or something that just started recently I wouldn't worry about it.

quader400
07-13-2006, 06:11 PM
well i just got it and put it together but i had not started until yesterday and i heard it so i wanted to find out before i rode to see if i would run into any problems

Iliketogofast
07-14-2006, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
250r's always have a slight knocking sound that comes from the bottom end. Unless its unusualy loud, or something that just started recently I wouldn't worry about it.

Yup. They all have a sound that comes from the bottom end.

Tom TRX250R
07-14-2006, 11:47 AM
250R's do have a slight knock in the lower end. I rebuilt my entire motor and my buddies and even after both motors being brand new still had a slight knock in the lower end.

wilkin250r
07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Yes and no. How old is this engine, and what do you know of it's history?

A knocking noise could be just the typical 250R knock. Or it could be an indication that your main bearings are going out. I don't think you need to rip apart the engine right now, but you may want to keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

Laeger350RX
07-15-2006, 11:42 PM
The knocking noise that you are hearing is almost certainly coming from your counter balancer. 250R's are notorious for the counter balancer bearings going bad and if it goes un-repaird for long enough it will ruin your right center case half (where the bearing rides/side closest to the gear)...it will make a slight oval shape and cause a knocking sound.

peeping TOM
07-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Laeger350RX
The knocking noise that you are hearing is almost certainly coming from your counter balancer. 250R's are notorious for the counter balancer bearings going bad and if it goes un-repaird for long enough it will ruin your right center case half (where the bearing rides/side closest to the gear)...it will make a slight oval shape and cause a knocking sound. check for cracks on the counterbalance holder ,,, a good indication if the bearings are going...

86 Quad R
07-17-2006, 07:43 AM
as stated all R engines have the rattling sound in the bottom ends but, a trained ear can determine the difference from the normal rattle and the sound of a counter balancer or other.

if in doubt i would pull the cover and check things out. you certainly dont want to make the mistake of letting something in there take a big ole gooden(dump) on ya.

quader400
07-17-2006, 06:21 PM
well i figured it out... i was at a track with my 400 and there was a guy with a 250r i was talking to and listened to his engine and it made the same noise... thanks for the help