PDA

View Full Version : Will Honda do it?

Pappy
07-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I was browsing through a dirtbike magazine and they were hype'ing up the 2007 models along with some insightful hints. One such engine was a 150R. This as they were gleefully predicting that this could be used in a crf150f sized chassis to compete in the 85cc classes.

My mind started turning as I envisioned a 150R liquid cooled 5 speed manual clutched quad for competion in either newly formed classes or for one heck of a stepping stone for younger riders.

Imagine one day having the choice from a 150cc to a 250cc powered atv that is not using 15 year old styled engines :p with a current chassis and suspension. Keep your fingers crossed

:D

Scro
07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Seems like it would be a good stepping stone between the miniquads and 300ex's. It would open up a whole new class as well:macho

derekhonda
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
For youth atv racing to truly take off, there definately needs to be something like this to bridge the gap.

Pappy
07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Lets look at hondas quad line up....

TRX90
250EX
300EX---Not for 07
400Ex
450R

The TRX90 is good for a rider under 10. The 250ex can be safely riden by 10-13 year olds, but both are hardly good choices for a 200cc to 300cc class.

Scro
07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
It would be nice to have just as many classes in the quad category as bikes. I mean, it's rediculous when the same kid riding a dirtbike has like 4 classes to choose from at a race, and a kid riding a mini has only one class most of the time. :eek2:

Pappy
07-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
It would be nice to have just as many classes in the quad category as bikes. I mean, it's rediculous when the same kid riding a dirtbike has like 4 classes to choose from at a race, and a kid riding a mini has only one class most of the time. :eek2:

That is based on rider entries. They cant have more classes if only 12 kids show up to race:p But I do agree.

Scro
07-12-2006, 03:31 PM
This is the way it is around here. Say there are 20 total youth riders. Well, 18 of those kids qualify to race in 4 different motos..lol. They will have like a 8-10 year old class, 10-12 year class, 12-14 year class. And then they will have like a 14 and under class:huh WTF? lol

I understand that there may not be as many miniquads, but it's like they look down on the quads. One local track will put the mini's first in order of the moto's on a track that the tractor just uprooted:mad:

zeppelin
07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
it wont happened, in a recent issue of mxa (motocross action) they said yamaha has actualy had a yz150f for four years now, and they arent putting them into production because current ama rules wont allow four-stokes in the minicycle class. they also said that steve whitelock (president of the ama) said that he doesnt plan on changing the rules anytime soon to allow it because he wants to try and keep costs down for minicylce racers...

Pappy
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
The AMA is not the only people making waves in motocross. I still feel it will be down the road, but sooner or later, from a money stand point, the manufactures will benefit from using its technology over the current machines and the AMA will have no choice but to change along with them

TheFontMaster
07-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I would love to see more minis in the 100-200cc range. There just isn't enough options for when kids need to step up to a larger quad. When a kid out grows his 90, both in power, and size, his closest choice is a blaster. While the blasters are smaller, they are still too big for many kids, and too much power for most to handle.

What happened to the 300ex for 07? Did Honda drop production on them? If anything they should have dropped production on the 250ex:o

zeppelin
07-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
The AMA is not the only people making waves in motocross. I still feel it will be down the road, but sooner or later, from a money stand point, the manufactures will benefit from using its technology over the current machines and the AMA will have no choice but to change along with them

i really hope so, the ama has been doing nothing but hurt the sport lately (not that they were ever great or any thing, its just steve whitelock is a moron and he has made it even worse...)

i would love to see a new sanction form and take the place of the ama.

Pappy
07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
they also said that steve whitelock (president of the ama) said that he doesnt plan on changing the rules anytime soon to allow it because he wants to try and keep costs down for minicylce racers...

I reckon this was the same line of thinking for production quads...which do not save anyone any money :p

4trax250x81
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
i really hope so, the ama has been doing nothing but hurt the sport lately (not that they were ever great or any thing, its just steve whitelock is a moron and he has made it even worse...)

i would love to see a new sanction form and take the place of the ama.

You mean a series like what the WPSA is?? ;)

QuadManKev
07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
I was browsing through a dirtbike magazine and they were hype'ing up the 2007 models along with some insightful hints. One such engine was a 150R. This as they were gleefully predicting that this could be used in a crf150f sized chassis to compete in the 85cc classes.

My mind started turning as I envisioned a 150R liquid cooled 5 speed manual clutched quad for competion in either newly formed classes or for one heck of a stepping stone for younger riders.

Imagine one day having the choice from a 150cc to a 250cc powered atv that is not using 15 year old styled engines :p with a current chassis and suspension. Keep your fingers crossed

:D

not to ruin anyone's hopes, but we were told by honda that they were releasing a 150 dirtbike that could be used to race, and no, it won't be put into a quad chassis.

wvspeedfreak
07-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by QuadManKev
not to ruin anyone's hopes, but we were told by honda that they were releasing a 150 dirtbike that could be used to race, and no, it won't be put into a quad chassis.

It doesn't matter to me if the manufacturers put it in a quad frame,I can handle that part.They just need to make the engine ;)

mx428
07-12-2006, 06:29 PM
The AMA will not alloy the 150's in the 85cc class, but the F.I.M is changing the rules to accomodate them in 2007. So, you could see the 150f's in Europe, but most likely not the US anytime soon.

Pappy
07-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by QuadManKev

Since when do we need Honda to do it:p

QuadManKev
07-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Since when do we need Honda to do it:p

haha that is true.

redlineranger
07-12-2006, 10:24 PM
i think it'd be cool and i hope they make the motor. i noticed they havent release the 300ex yet for 07. my calculations is the infamous plastic and graphic's change:rolleyes:

jrspawn
07-12-2006, 11:26 PM
I would think honda, and yamaha alike would be doing something to step the program up for youth, and 450cc production quads. With suzuki, "raising the standards" with the LTR and gaining a large market share, i would say honda and yamaha would be doing something to better the LTR? I still say they need to make a production 250r style quad with a 450 engine, you cant beat it! But.... that will probably not happen. That would be pretty sweet though. I guess time will tell what they put out though.....

Justin

bradley300
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by redlineranger
i think it'd be cool and i hope they make the motor. i noticed they havent release the 300ex yet for 07. my calculations is the infamous plastic and graphic's change:rolleyes:

there wont be a 07 300ex period. the 250ex, 400ex, and 450r got the same plastic look and the 300ex didnt. you know what that says? that says bye bye 300ex. they are going to build what they have left, and call it quits

Hon300ex
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
ik that I would never buy a 150r motor in a dirt bike frame. 85's are very competitive at a cheap price stock. who would want to spend $4,200??? on a 150r that would be more maintnance then a 250f....

If that motor was in a quad frame..... well thats a different story. quad riders cant just buy 85s to race with so a 150r would be all you have. it would work out better for the atv community.