PDA

View Full Version : E85 ?? jet change??

atvmxr
07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
there is starting to be a few stations carrying E85 around here now. It is 85% ethanol, 105 octane. Is this a good substitute for race gas? Would I have to basically double my jet sizing to run this? I think that is the base line rule for running methanol, right? thoughts??

:blah:

xlr810
07-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Have you got oil injection on your R?

Didn't think so.

Don't run E85 with premix. It'll separate.

Also, the ethanol is higher octane like you stated, but it has less potential energy per gallon.

Run it in your flex fuel car-- any you'll help reduce emissions, and our dependence on foreign oil... Not in your R...

zedicus00
07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
its ethonal i think.... its not alcohol like what drag racers run. i keep trying to explain this to one of my friends too.... everything xlr810 said is true...

it will run in an R, it doesnt trully seperate, it just never mixes completly to begin with. and you will loose a ton of power.

ohsobad_chevy
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
its ethonal i think.... its not alcohol like what drag racers run. i keep trying to explain this to one of my friends too.... everything xlr810 said is true...

it will run in an R, it doesnt trully seperate, it just never mixes completly to begin with. and you will loose a ton of power.

You both have no idea what you are talking about!! E85 is a mixture of gas and ethanol: 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. E85 will not seperate from oil and you will not loose power by using it, a lot of people running higher compression uses E85 with premix in their 250R's. My cousin has ran E85 for 5 years and has never had any problems, and he sure as hell didn't loose any power. :rolleyes:
ATMXer: To answer your question... Yes, you will most likely have to change your jetting, due to E85 having more oxygen content than strait gasoline.

TampaBoy813
07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
You both have no idea what you are talking about!! E85 is a mixture of gas and ethanol: 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. E85 will not seperate from oil and you will not loose power by using it, a lot of people running higher compression uses E85 with premix in their 250R's. My cousin has ran E85 for 5 years and has never had any problems, and he sure as hell didn't loose any power. :rolleyes:
ATMXer: To answer your question... Yes, you will most likely have to change your jetting, due to E85 having more oxygen content than strait gasoline. where are you people getting the E85...I looked up E85 in the US and theres only like 2 states in the US who have it...

atvmxr
07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
i did a little more research and I fixed my first post. Its 85% ethanol and methanol is the standard "alchol" race fuel. I've heard mineral oils are worse at seperating, but synthetics are better. I run either MC-1 or Amsoil in my R, both are supposed to be 100% synthetic. Givin the octane rating, I was think it would be a cheaper alternative to 104 octane race gas ($2.55 a gallon for E-85 versus around $6-7 for race gas).

And I though when I watched the Indy 500 that ALL the cars were switched over to run on E-85, so I dont think there is a power loss.

atvmxr
07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
go to www.e85fuel.com almost every state has it. There are 2-3 stations within 20 minutes of my house

rebelbanshee
07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
alchohol needs compression and lots of it to perform well. crank you compression and modify your timing and you wont lose power...youll just burn a ton of gas and look like a tree hugging sissy!:D :devil:

ohsobad_chevy
07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
alchohol needs compression and lots of it to perform well. crank you compression and modify your timing and you wont lose power...youll just burn a ton of gas and look like a tree hugging sissy!:D :devil:

You crack me up!! :D :D you say crank your compression up like you can go out and turn a frikin knob.. LMAO
E85's fuel economy is, if anything, better than pure gasoline.

BLACKeR
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
You crack me up!! :D :D you say crank your compression up like you can go out and turn a frikin knob.. LMAO
E85's fuel economy is, if anything, better than pure gasoline.

actually bumping up your compression isnt that hard, many people use heads with interchangeable domes, if you dont the use of a CR head gasket, or using fewer layers of the OEM gasket will bump up your compression. if thats not an option, OEM heads a a dime a dozen and not that expencive to cut. i would also like to see the information that says E85 will give you better economy than gasoline, since it produces much less energy than gasoline. and studies across the board report a loss of milage anywhere from 10-30%.

250r4life
07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
any body know how much a dome change typically changes your compression?

BLACKeR
07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
depends on how big of a differential there is between the change. i dont rember what sizes their are for the R but i believe there is usually 2 sizes smaller than stock, one for full race gas and one for a 50/50 mix. or something close to that.

baker250r
07-13-2006, 07:37 AM
we run the e-85 in our race rig. 2001 Chevy Duelly, with i wanna say a 8.1 liter?? we only lost about 1 or 2 miles a gallon, pullin a gooseneck 30 footer to the races... granted its not a flex fuel motor, but it seems to be working pretty well...

The question I have is... if we are now able to make our own gas our of corn and stuff... why is it still at $3.00 a gallon? if u drop the price on it, more peopel will run it, and more technology will go into producing it, and motors to run it effeciently

atvmxr
07-13-2006, 08:11 AM
we cant make gasoline from corn, its $3.00 a gallon. We can make ethanol from corn, grain, or other plants, around here it is 2.55 a gallon when mixed with 15% gasoline. My thinking is that you will lose economy when running E85 in a motor with a compression ratio suitable for gas, but if you build an E-85 motor with alot higher compression ratio the economy should go back up. The probable with E-85 is that it attacks certain types of rubber so your fuel lines, fuel tank, carb seals or injectors, etc. must be compatible with it.

When running alcohol do you need a bigger carb, or just bigger jets?

I'll give it a few more months to see if more stations start carrying E-85 and then I will probably get a cool head with the smallest dome they offer, maybe get an alky carb too and lean it down a little. :blah:

baker250r
07-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr
we cant make gasoline from corn, its $3.00 a gallon. We can make ethanol from corn, grain, or other plants, around here it is 2.55 a gallon when mixed with 15% gasoline.

u know wut i mean tho. up here the e-85 is only like 10 cents lower than regular unleaded.

ohsobad_chevy
07-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
I would also like to see the information that says E85 will give you better economy than gasoline, since it produces much less energy than gasoline. and studies across the board report a loss of milage anywhere from 10-30%.

Any where I read on the net about E85, they say that it is more economic than gasoline, but they are probably just trying to push the product...who knows. :)

organiz3d_chaos
07-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Any where I read on the net about E85, they say that it is more economic than gasoline, but they are probably just trying to push the product...who knows. :)

Using E-85 you get less MPG, but it is better for the enviroment. also it helps get away from the dependency on dinosaurs(obviosully not completly).

atvmxr
07-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by baker250r
u know wut i mean tho. up here the e-85 is only like 10 cents lower than regular unleaded.

Well I guess you are getting hosed ;) $2.50 is supposedly the projected price for ethanol to be viable product with the farmer's, refiner's etc. to make profit.

BLACKeR
07-13-2006, 01:59 PM
one thing to remember on the cost of ethanol is that most if not all of the refining of it is subsidized by the government. meaning the lower price is fake, your paying for that lower price with your taxes. there is also a high tax on imported ethanol to help our farmers. the biggest strike against ethanol is that it takes as much energy to produce it as it creates. meaning if you take into account the gas used to plant and harvest the corn etc, the the gas to transport it and the energy to convert corn to ethonal you use anywhere from 1-2 gallons of gas per gallon of ethanol . you would also have to plant and harvest nearly every square foot of america with corn to get enough ethonal to replace gasoline. sugar cane is a much better plant to extract ethanol from but out corn farmers have much more clout in washington. at this point ethanol is nothign more than politics. but feel free to run it in your quad just change the timing and boost the compression.