PDA

View Full Version : 38mm Airstriker

PYF
07-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Ok so I finally bought a 38mm PWK airstriker carb from a member on the site to replace my 33mm PWK (WTF was this carb doing on there lol...)...

I have a couple of questions though...

1- I know I can fit the carb on the stock intake boot, but since I need to get another one anyway, is there any boots that would easily fits the bigger carb (CR boot or something like that)

2- What is the correlation factor between the my 33mm and 38mm...I means, If I'm running a 155 MJ right now, what should I start with in the new bigger carb...Same question apply to needle, Pilot jet etc.......

3- My throttle cable just broke today so I need a new one. Called the shop and asked for a PWK carb cable. He didn't know what it was and told me he needed a machine and a year.... Which year CR's (Or RM's...YZ's....KX's) had 38mm PWK carbs so I can order the new cable...

Thanks a lot for your help in advance and I hope my questions were clears....

zedicus00
07-12-2006, 05:54 AM
theres 50$ pollished aluminum intakes that sale on ebay that a guy builds that work pretty good.

i would start a jet or 2 richer just to be safe and be prepared to maybe end up leaner on the jetting then the 33pwk was. has to do with air velocity.

just call or visit motion pros website, they will know exactly what yur talkin bout. and i think they can even ship to canada...

novaracr70
07-12-2006, 07:23 AM
twist or thumb?
my twist cabble is 01-604 if that helps

PYF
07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by novaracr70
twist or thumb?
my twist cabble is 01-604 if that helps

Thanks for the info Zedicus

I need a thumb throttle :ermm:

PYF
07-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Hmm just called the shop again with the motion pro cable number and they said they weren't working with those numbers (Even if they carry motion pro products)

They just keep telling me they need an application for a machine. So which machine are those cables off...

Thanks again

zedicus00
07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
they arent off of a machine, they are cables motion pro makes to go from a thumb throttle to a pwk carb. if yur shop cant find them get a better shop. or order direct from motion pro.

stever250r
07-12-2006, 04:28 PM
The part number for the cable you need is....

17910-964-000

I ordered mine from servicehonda.... but ESR carries them also.

fmfracing5
07-12-2006, 06:29 PM
just order it online

PYF
07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by fmfracing5
just order it online

Just wanted to get one for the weekend since good friend from college were coming riding

Oh well I'm screwed unless the honda dealer have it in stock (Which would HIGHLY surprise me):(

Oh well :ermm:

Thanks a lot for your help guys! As always it's appreciated

Something else though, I checked on ebay for an oversized intake and only found one and it was used...Do you have any link to the guy selling billet aluminium one.???

Pierre-Yves

zedicus00
07-13-2006, 06:08 AM
yeah i think so on my home computer, i can post it tonight. also that cable doesnt have the adjuster in the middle of it... it should still work though, but ive never used one to know for sure.

PYF
07-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00
yeah i think so on my home computer, i can post it tonight. also that cable doesnt have the adjuster in the middle of it... it should still work though, but ive never used one to know for sure.

Thanks

PYF
07-17-2006, 10:58 AM
DAMN, WHERE CAN I GET THIS OVERSIZED INTAKE ??? I am not finding any on ebay :(

86 Quad R
07-17-2006, 12:15 PM
kinda pricey but, try these guys. UPP parts (http://www.uppracing.com/item.php?pid=232&cid=51)

PYF
07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
kinda pricey but, try these guys. UPP parts (http://www.uppracing.com/item.php?pid=232&cid=51)

Thanks but as you said kinda pricey...

And since I'm in canada, I'm better order on ebay since normal online shop normally don't ship to Canada

zedicus00
07-17-2006, 01:12 PM
u dont need an aftermarket intake boot for a pwk carb. just a hair dryer or a pot of boiling water, once you get it mounted once then the boot stays stretched out and fits fine.

PYF
07-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
u dont need an aftermarket intake boot for a pwk carb. just a hair dryer or a pot of boiling water, once you get it mounted once then the boot stays stretched out and fits fine.

Good to know since I wasn't able to return my brand new boot from honda. Something I forgot to ask...Does the stock air box boot fits on the other side of the carb

AS ALWAYS, thanks for your help Zedicus :)

zedicus00
07-18-2006, 05:46 AM
yup, it sure does. takes some elbow greese or a hair dryer...

86 Quad R
07-18-2006, 06:30 AM
what i generally do PYF is to heat up a large pot of water and place the intake and air box boot in there until just before the water boils. afterwards, i remove the intake and force it onto the carb and zip tie it and then repeat the process with the air box boot. allow things to cool and set overnight. they hold shape from then on. the process can be reversed later if ya so choose to install a smaller carb. :cool:

PYF
07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
what i generally do PYF is to heat up a large pot of water and place the intake and air box boot in there until just before the water boils. afterwards, i remove the intake and force it onto the carb and zip tie it and then repeat the process with the air box boot. allow things to cool and set overnight. they hold shape from then on. the process can be reversed later if ya so choose to install a smaller carb. :cool:

Awesome Idea!

Thanks a lot

iamjasyn
07-18-2006, 12:03 PM
What I did was pick up a CR intake boot (38mm). Makes it easy to get the carb in and out without too much fuss. Problem though is it's shorter than the TRX boot, so you need a reed spacer.

For the airbox side, I bought a new boot from servicehonda and that slips on and off easily without heating. If you haven't felt a new one, you'll be amazed how much stiffer the old ones are than when they were new. Should give you a more pliant and reliable seal too. I think they're 36 bucks...