PDA

View Full Version : recommendations on shocks

buster024
07-11-2006, 10:36 PM
So I decided to go suspension first...

What brand/make/model of shocks (reasonable price) would ya'll recommend? I see all the adds for Works, Elka, etc....

I've got a set of 450R shocks, but they turned out to be pretty beat up. I'm intending on stretching out +1 or so on my arms next (if that makes a difference)

I ride almost exclusively track and trail.

Help!!

AR15 guy
07-11-2006, 10:59 PM
A lot of guys run the Elka shocks but they are way to pricey for me.

Supposedly Works shocks are overrated and don't last long BUT this is heresay because I have never tried them.

May want to look into getting your 450r shocks revalved. Supposed to be very nice shocks. I'll have mine next week.

04TRX400EX
07-11-2006, 11:57 PM
First off, yes, the a-arm length is important cause the angle that the shock sits at affects the dampening. When you get new shocks they are usually custom built to all your specifications: rider weight, riding type, tire size, a-arm length, swingarm length, etc.

I personally have Elka's and I think they are great. I just went the cheaper route and got their Recreational series because I don't race or anything and just wanted an improvement over stock, and they were a huge improvement. A custom-order shock makes such a difference. There is this big debate wether or not Elka's are worth the money. Some compare them to others and say they're crap whereas the majority of people that have them love them. For the price, I like my shocks but at the same time, for the price, I don't expect them to feel like a $1200 Custom Axis or Fox Float Evol, or even the high-end Elka's. If you are looking for shocks on a budget, you're two best options are probably Elka and TCS. If you're in to racing, definitely check out Pep.

04TRX400EX
07-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I forgot to add that I would not suggest Works shocks. I don't have any personal experience but from what I have heard, they are not of the same quality as other more "known" brands and a lot of people that get them eventually go on to an Elka or something like that because they're not happy with their Works.

firefighterjosh
07-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I have Arens/Elka Longe travel front end +1. It is a little stiff for me, but that is because the guy I bought it off of weights more. And it is set up for him. I will never own another stock suspension quad. its money well spent.

Franky G
07-12-2006, 04:21 AM
I have a Houser/Axis setup best money spent on my 400EX!

underpowered
07-12-2006, 08:05 AM
how much do you want to spend? works are ok for the trial rider wanting an upgrade over stock withough spending much. i dont have many complaints about mine, but for my riding style i wish i had spent the money on elka's. if you ride hard and fast, race, ect. spend a little more and get somethin other than works. even with my ressies, i still over tax my shocks on the local MX track.

Elkas are great shocks, riden a few quads with them and they are great, a little pricey though.

Ohlins are great shocks, but pricey like the elkas. they seem to come valved pretty stiff from the factory but build quality is awesome and the ride is great, get better the faster you go. i think they will be my next shock.

Custom Axis is good, but from my limited experience on them (only ridden one quad with them) i would opt for something else. i would much rather bottom out my bike than his, it is very harsh if you bottom them out.

other than that i cant tell you much cause i have had no experience with TCS, or PEP.

Zeppelin03
07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
The cheaper route to go if your 450r shocks are useable is get them revalved and buy the triple rate springs for them. I have no experience with that set up but i plan on doing it in the near future.

buster024
07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
First off, yes, the a-arm length is important cause the angle that the shock sits at affects the dampening. When you get new shocks they are usually custom built to all your specifications: rider weight, riding type, tire size, a-arm length, swingarm length, etc.

Am I going to get in trouble if I don't purchase/install my new arms at the same time? I hadn't planned on re-working the whole front end. I'm heavily leaning towards Elka's, but will I be able to fit them on to both my stock arms, and my new arms when I get them down the road?

armysig
07-12-2006, 09:36 AM
You can cantact Laz at GT Thunder and explain what you would want to do with your 450r shocks. He can convert them in to triple rate shocks and revalve them fairly easy now. Let him know you are planning on putting them on +1 A-arms. I think he can even make them to fit that geometry of A-arm.

This will be much cheaper than buying new shocks, but just remember you have to modify them to fit your 400ex.

I personally have Elka's. I picked them up off Ebay and sent them to Laz to have them valved and re sprung for my weight and riding style. I also sent him my rear stock shock and he fixed the valving and put a heavier spring on it for me. I even picked up the linkage for MX riding which helps out with the bucking that the factory set up can do.

In all I spent about $1100 total on my shocks and convertions, compaired to spending $1600.00 on all new equipment.

GT Thunder (http://www.gtthunder.com/)