PDA

View Full Version : Trail Patrol?

RiderTRX400ex
07-11-2006, 08:43 PM
a few years back, our area started up an ATV Club, which has brough actual police officers to ride the trails on their own quads. they stop everyone and ask for liscense, and registration just like if you got pulled over on the street. police know us by the colors of our quads, and if there is a complaint about a yellow (for ex.) quad running up the road, whoever has a yellow quad gets blamed.. its really ridiculous and its really ruining the sport around here.. anyone else have any complaints or stories about this??

idontknowwhoiam
07-11-2006, 09:19 PM
not that bad!!....the town police have a sportsman500 they cruise around...andif u aint registerd, hes pretty easy to burn.....but as long as u stay where u are suposed to be and get permission from people we dont have problems

jordan_400ex
08-22-2006, 02:05 PM
lately around here weve had to lose quite a few cops.there ride around on grizzlies.only cuz its fire season tho.but we never see them when it isnt fire season.

hks308
09-19-2006, 08:21 AM
man, im always trying to get em off my ***. never got caught yet... thats yet. but they know where i live and every night i come back from riding they say it was me and i always gotta make up some lame *** story about how someone else has the same quad as me...:D thats what you gotta do these days;)

JJ69
09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
i drive on the road to get to my trails, because my house is about 2-4 minutes on a wheeler away from the trails.. one of my buddy's had the cops come to his house and gave him a warning for driving on the road.. when it was me :-S
he has a 400ex and i have a 250x.. they dont even look similar.

hks308
09-19-2006, 01:46 PM
let me tell ya. cops see a quad and they automatically think it is u, no matter what size or color. its just like if a black person robbed a 7 evelen. they would go to a random black persons house

idontknowwhoiam
09-20-2006, 04:32 AM
Yup its a pain in the balls sometimes, and whos it hurting...when we were younger the cops would come to my house alll the time for our dirtbikes and quads..and my mom would say to them they are not bothering anyone would u rather then be out doin drugs and all the other things kids do, ya got 15 year olds shootin other kids but you waste your time bustin some kids on bikes balls...i dunno i think it sucks...P.s. i never got caught up untill last year i got my sled impounded...aha

Xater
09-20-2006, 05:02 PM
my towns cops dont care if you ride slowly down the shoulder of the road but if your going 50 down the center they get mad (figured that out the hard way) but the e.p. will get you bad

idontknowwhoiam
09-21-2006, 04:14 AM
YUP the E.P. forget it...but even if your puttin down the road and i cop comes by he might be cool....but the chance of the ticket makes u boogie..........i dunno...

hks308
09-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by idontknowwhoiam
YUP the E.P. forget it...but even if your puttin down the road and i cop comes by he might be cool....but the chance of the ticket makes u boogie..........i dunno...

that doesn't work in my neighborhood, you either run for it (going 60 down the road), or just push your quad. i never go slow on the side of the road, that is giving the cops more time to see your gay as* and you will end up with a $800 fine.

krt400ex
09-23-2006, 05:49 PM
u know, i have yet to have any problems with ppl. it is simple. alot of ppl don't mind that u ride by them or on their property. they just like it when u ask. i always ask the owner of the property if i can ride and i have not had one person say no. they just want to see that someone respects them enough to ask. even ppl that work on or own commercial zones. i ride on the gasline and elizabethtown gas owns it. i have permission to ride there just bcause i cared enough to ask. try it. u will see that u will stop having problems with ppl.

hks308
09-23-2006, 09:24 PM
were talkin about the pigs man

idontknowwhoiam
09-24-2006, 04:30 AM
i have permission from most places i ride...its the E.Ps and the police...and the ocassional kcid head

krt400ex
09-24-2006, 06:46 AM
police r everywhere here and kids get busted all the time for riding in the same places that i do, but they don't ask. i do. ppl here get chased by the cops all the time. i am just saying that u need to show a little respect and u will be amazed at what ppl will be willing to give

400flava
09-30-2006, 08:49 AM
cool kids run from cops or atleast try i have only been chased by cops in cars so far none on atvs. Caught once evaded 3 times not to bad the first time was just a warning to not do it again so i figured just dont get caught again and it wont be a problem...

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 09:36 AM
dude, if u think ur cool cuz u run from the cops u have problems. the cool kids obey the laws so that freedoms r not removed. u can still have plenty of fun and not get alll tangled up with the cops.

400flava
09-30-2006, 10:31 AM
lol calm down champ i was kidding... i kno u can have lots of fun while obeying the law i have only had a few run ins with them. my buddy lives down my street its a dirt road on the out skirts of town so i ride down there or he rides down here because i have jumps in my back yard but after modding and so on it sometimes leads to a race downt he street that is the only time we have troubles since there is a cop shop right neer my house...

450rJam
10-10-2006, 07:14 PM
around here as long as your not tearing up the public roads/ditches your going to get off with a warning at worst.
if your being stupid and risking my freedoms by riding like a chew head then I hope you get busted and lose your ride.
ride with respect................for yourself and others.
there are places to tear it up.

DvxDirtSlinger
10-10-2006, 08:28 PM
everytime you run from the cops, you are making the atv'ers as a whole look bad...dont be a jackass, ride with respect for others property and the law

94F450SD
10-14-2006, 09:43 PM
its easy for some of you to say "ask permission,dont run from cops,yadda yadda.but you guys probably live in a state/town that have people that dont mind you rideing on thier property.but up here in massachusetts all we got are snobs that dont even want you to look at thier property.a state that does not wanna give us places to ride,constantly trying to shut down state trails to us.most people up here are affraid of being sued for injurys cause some bonehead hurt themselves on thier property.this does happen and the idiots actually win.

idontknowwhoiam
10-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Thats just it man....in my town the in the past 12 years the population went up somthing like 35%...they developed EVERYthing and i gotta get from A to B some how....No one will give u permission for that lawsuit reason...alota places i ask for permission the people say "im not gunna say u can, but wont be mad if u do"..so then i cant say they let u ride there if u get hurt..and its still all posted and cops still break ur balls for iteven tho the owners dont REALLY care...im respectful as i can be and never go out lookin to run from cops....but ifs a choice between $500+ in fines and impounds for really doing nothing wrong, or stabbin the throttle....im outta there

450rJam
10-15-2006, 10:28 AM
around here for legal reasons its about the same as far as getting permission.
if the land owner posts "not responsible for injuries"
in court it means that he knows there is the probability of an accident.
and if the land owner charges you to ride that opens them up
even more to being the responsible party.

truth is we all know there is an inherent danger to what we like to do.............if we dont push our abilities how do we know what
we can accomplish ?

the problem is that there are some greedy s.o.b's out there that
trash it for everyone else. We should all know to check before you launch off a hill or what ever, and is it the land owners fault
if people ride beyond thier ability ?
we dont get to sew the state if we have an accident on the highway.............

In other countries, if you sew someone and lose, you are liable for thier attorneys fees and court costs..................
this pretty much eliminates the "frivolous court cases"

I go out of my way to thank the land owners who let me ride,
I make sure there is no trash or anything left (even if I have to pick up someone elses), and we police ourselves as far explaining to new riders the direction of tavel, dangerous spots, and places not allowed to tresspass on.

krt400ex
10-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
around here for legal reasons its about the same as far as getting permission.
if the land owner posts "not responsible for injuries"
in court it means that he knows there is the probability of an accident.
and if the land owner charges you to ride that opens them up
even more to being the responsible party.

truth is we all know there is an inherent danger to what we like to do.............if we dont push our abilities how do we know what
we can accomplish ?

the problem is that there are some greedy s.o.b's out there that
trash it for everyone else. We should all know to check before you launch off a hill or what ever, and is it the land owners fault
if people ride beyond thier ability ?
we dont get to sew the state if we have an accident on the highway.............

In other countries, if you sew someone and lose, you are liable for thier attorneys fees and court costs..................
this pretty much eliminates the "frivolous court cases"

I go out of my way to thank the land owners who let me ride,
I make sure there is no trash or anything left (even if I have to pick up someone elses), and we police ourselves as far explaining to new riders the direction of tavel, dangerous spots, and places not allowed to tresspass on.

that is the way to do it... and as far as ppl not letting u ride cuz they don't want to be liable....write up a paper and sign it, and have them sign, and u could even go as far as having it noterized. ppl r just afriad that they will lose alot of money for getting blamed fo someone else f****** up.

450rJam
10-15-2006, 04:47 PM
if the owner signs anything, it is admitting they condone the fact that you are going to be doing something dangerous on thier property.
they cannot post any signage about anything like "ride at your own risk" or anything like this.
this is what I have been told by the guy that lets us ride on his land (there are people comming from several hours away because there are no places around where they live)

the only way around all this crap is for the judges to realize its not the land owners fault. or for rediclous people to stop sewing withour just cause.

if the land owner lets someone hunt on thier land and they shoot themselves is it the owners fault ?

its rediculous to sew the land owner for your own negligence.

krt400ex
10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
a paper that says..."the owner of the land is not liable for any damage/pain/injury/harm done to the rider or rider's vehicle" is something like i was talking about. then there is no way u can sue him over anything. i would never think about it anyway

450rJam
10-15-2006, 07:52 PM
you dont understand.......................

the paper your speaking of will be the nail in the coffin.

I cant explain it any better, good luck.

idontknowwhoiam
10-15-2006, 08:47 PM
like i said b4 no one around here will "give permission"(a very few). u can talk to them and they might say they would look the other way if they see u...but its all still posted..and ur on your own if somthing happens. people are soooo sue happy now its nuts.

450rJam
10-16-2006, 04:28 AM
another option may be to buy some land, some of the best land for atv's is the land that isnt good for much else.
20 acres can hold alot of trails/mx etc.

if its $ then try to get a group together (it will take some planing)
vote a pres. treasurer, etc.
you will have to get insurance to let others ride there.
you charge membership fee's and have "work days" to keep it up.

its alot of work but some of the best places to ride are started this way.

buy the land with the future in mind, as you may have to add acres as you grow.
(I dont know how your state is but some will work with you to aquire useless land)

the best things dont come free.......it will be work, and you will need to jump in with both feet, dont sissy foot around with it.

krt400ex
10-16-2006, 09:32 AM
you dont understand.......................

the paper your speaking of will be the nail in the coffin.

I cant explain it any better, good luck.

plz explain...i am not understanding u :confused:

450rJam
10-16-2006, 05:02 PM
if I get the land owner to sign a paper saying I wont sew him if I get hurt. he is signing in admission that he knows your going to be doing something dangerous and he is condoneing it.

if he got a good lawyer he may get out of it...............
but the paper wouldnt stop your mom/dad/guardian/spouse/kids
from sewing him.............get it ?

If the land owner will let you ride, thinking he is not liable then go for it..................

firefighterjosh
10-17-2006, 03:23 AM
You gotta go to a lawayer and have them right you up a form. Trust me some places around my area make you sign papers and they hold up. Been there done that.

For stories:

My friends decided to run. They got away..but the next day they knew who did it questions were asked stories did not match up and wola. JAIL TIME!!!

Funny story. My friends and I were riding down the road and seen a cop ( we are all registered) Cop pulls us over and asks for regostrations. We all had them over and my friend riding his 400EX gives him the registration. After the cop looks at them my friend with the 400 looked at his registration again. It said " 1994 Polaris 400":eek: Luckly the cop didn't notice lol.

krt400ex
10-17-2006, 06:54 AM
if I get the land owner to sign a paper saying I wont sew him if I get hurt. he is signing in admission that he knows your going to be doing something dangerous and he is condoneing it.

if he got a good lawyer he may get out of it...............
but the paper wouldnt stop your mom/dad/guardian/spouse/kids
from sewing him.............get it ?

If the land owner will let you ride, thinking he is not liable then go for it..................

dude, if u noterize it then that makes it a legal documant, therefore there is no way u can sue him if u wanted to.

idontknowwhoiam
10-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Here having a reg. dont do u any good.....if u get caught riding on the road with out a reg. u get fines of operating on public way, un-registerd(25$ fine)..failure to yeild or somthing if u dont stop RIGHT AWAY....if u are registerd..u get all them fine minus the $25 unregisterd fine......its only 40 bux for years.....but it really doesnt do u any good unless your in the state forest often

10-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Cops go called on me a long time ago. they were looking for a loud yellow sport quad. Luckly the neighbor had his yellow 400ex out to or i would have go a fine or sum.

Redfame
11-03-2006, 08:55 AM
ATV riding is just like paintball. Look into waiver forms from local paintball fields.

I have not attemtped to get permission to ride on land outside of the ditch area where I ride. But you guys have given me some good ideas, there is some killer land in near me in Grantsburg WI that would be fun with some permission.