PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Brake Light??

truck4
07-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, I've been noticing a problem in the design of my 300ex. All the other quads I ride with have a functional brake light.....my and my brother-in-law's 300ex's don't, leading us to some close calls and a couple of endos.

I've seen aftermarket hydraulic and mechanical switches and aftermarket lights. I figure I'd use a LED light in place of an incandescent light....keep electrical demand to a minimum. But does anyone know of the advantages of a hydraulic or mechanical over one another? Would it be a easy retro-fit or more than I can handle? I am fairly handy with tools, very knowledgeable with electrical parts/wiring etc and my father-in-law tinkers with motorcycles.

If anyone has done this mod, please let me know.

Trevor
07-12-2006, 06:08 AM
I would be interested in doing this aswell keep us posted !

Ryanwolfe911
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I did it, it was easy. I used a hydraulic switch on the front metal brake line and a mechanical switch and spring on the rear that I pirated from an old suzuki street bike. Then all you need to do is ground the light to the frame and run a fused 12V supply to both switches, then back the positive sid eof the light harness. Works good. I would have used a hydraulic switch in the rear as well, but there is no metal line in bewteent he master cylinder and the brake caliper to tie into, it's only rubber.