PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference?

fastyz85
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
hey guys i was thinking about doing some engine work and was thinking about getting a high compression piston, but then i am also considering a bore kit. What I would like to knowis whats the difference between the two, which is the most reliable and won't give me as many problems in the future if i get it installed right, and I am also going to be getting a hot cam stage 1 cam for trails. Please help me out. Thanks

AR15 guy
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
A high compression piston is simply that. Its just a new piston that gives you higher compression. Compression itself adds power.

A big bore kit has a new sleeve and a bigger (in diameter) piston which adds CC's.

Both are reliable if you install them correctly. You also needs some supporting mods but they can be made very reliable.

Adding a high compression piston will be easier than installing a big bore kit. Cheaper also.

fastyz85
07-11-2006, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AR15 guy
A high compression piston is simply that. Its just a new piston that gives you higher compression. Compression itself adds power.

A big bore kit has a new sleeve and a bigger (in diameter) piston which adds CC's.

Both are reliable if you install them correctly. You also needs some supporting mods but they can be made very reliable.

Adding a high compression piston will be easier than installing a big bore kit. Cheaper also. [/QU

how much power will the high compression piston give me compared to the bore kit, and i also heard that the bore kits blow head gaskets

AR15 guy
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I am honestly not sure about the HP difference. But yes they are more prone to blowing head gaskets than a stock compression 400ex.

Good gaskets, HD studs, and proper installation should virtually eliminate the problem.

fastyz85
07-11-2006, 01:57 PM
what makes them blow head gaskets

400exstud
07-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by fastyz85
what makes them blow head gaskets \

The increased heat and stress caused by over-doing mods and a lot of bad luck.

I am not trying to dog on you, and because you are 13 I will give you a break, but you first need to know the workings of the motor before you feel that you are conpitent to improve on the factory design.

If you don't know the difference between compression and boring.......good luck installing the cam.;)

fastyz85
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
how do you know i'm 13

PismoLocal
07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
because your birthday is July 28th and you were born in 1992.

cals400ex
07-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
because your birthday is July 28th and you were born in 1992.

lol, good call. you guys are horrible. some high compression bikes do blow more head gaskets. we never had a problem but we always stick to 11:1 pistons and then run thin gaskets. most of the problems come from the head studs pulling out. sometimes the head and/or cylinder can be warped though.

fastyz85
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
pismo local you stalker who are u and how do you know my birthday