PDA

View Full Version : 2006 450er starting preventions

trx400exxracer
07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
hey guys i just wanted to know what you guys have tried to help the start on your er's i talked to gncc pro rider Santo DeRisi and his mechanic and they said that making the pilot jet leaner will help a little bit but other than that it isnt worth a crap

but i am probably goin to get a kick to put on there so i can have both

eganracing
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
i crancked up the idle on mine.

trick250r
07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
nothing... runs like a champ

czrider263
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Can you put a kick on the ER>?:confused:

trx400exxracer
07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by czrider263
Can you put a kick on the ER>?:confused:

yep and i am getting one soon cause it seems there is nothing you can do about the er i might try to hook up 2 batteries to it like my friend did to his xc z440 and that thing is so powerfull when starting:eek2:

but i am getting kick soon but Santo DeRisi's mechanic Shon Franklin said to lean out the pillot jet and that will help a little but Santo said the electric isnt even worth having

400exc
07-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Does the ER's have bad starting? i am thinkin boyt gettin one the end of this month or next month. What else is there problems of? Srry for asking questions on ur post trx400exxracer.

czrider263
07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
What do u have to do to put on the kick starter? just put it into teh case where the kick WOULD go? do u have to do anything with the E start and where do u get the kick?

trx400exxracer
07-12-2006, 02:00 PM
What do u have to do to put on the kick starter? just put it into teh case where the kick WOULD go? do u have to do anything with the E start and where do u get the kick?

it is basically puting an 05 kick in there i, you can keep the e-start, its not just something you buy it is like 2 pages full of parts i am getting Shon Franklin or Santo to get me the parts list so my dad can put it in or you could just send your engine to Shon

czrider263
07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Rgiht now my 06 motor is being built into a monster and what do u think the price of the parts are? and where did u say i can get them? what about service honda? cuz my battery has died a few times and it would be nice to have the kick.

trx400exxracer
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Rgiht now my 06 motor is being built into a monster and what do u think the price of the parts are? and where did u say i can get them? what about service honda? cuz my battery has died a few times and it would be nice to have the kick.

yeah i think you can get it all from Service Honda i just got to get a list of the stuff you need to get i think it is in the $250 range

do you have a myspace where i can send you the info once i get the list

czrider263
07-12-2006, 02:12 PM
could u just PM me when u get all the info. TY

if u want to see my 06 build heres the link

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241291

trx400exxracer
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
could u just PM me when u get all the info. TY

if u want to see my 06 build heres the link

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241291

ill see if i can get the parts list from Santo

Dave400ex
07-12-2006, 05:10 PM
I have a parts list I can email you...

trx400exxracer
07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I have a parts list I can email you...

please do that man

dcameronrogers@gmail.com

:D thanks ahead of time

bananas
07-13-2006, 05:49 AM
I had starting problems after I put in the HRC kit. I turned up the idle and on the trails I have no problems starting.

But now it doesn't start when it's cold. I try to start when I have to walk away for 5 to 10 minutes than it starts.. Gas get stuff off when not in use.

Why I don't know...

I jump on my 250r and one or two kicks and I am ready to fly...

4ABURN
07-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by bananas
I had starting problems after I put in the HRC kit. I turned up the idle and on the trails I have no problems starting.

But now it doesn't start when it's cold. I try to start when I have to walk away for 5 to 10 minutes than it starts.. Gas get stuff off when not in use.

Why I don't know...

I jump on my 250r and one or two kicks and I am ready to fly...

Mine is like that if I pull the choke all the way out but if I pull it out just alittle bit at the same time Ihit the starter button It starts great. Its like no chock is not enough but full chock is to much.(jetting) :D

trick250r
07-13-2006, 07:41 PM
why do you guys not want the e-start... if its good enough for some of the pros, its good enough for anyone.

brownieride
07-13-2006, 07:48 PM
mine starts perfect as long as you dont touch the gas i love the e start and wouldnt have it any other way

trx400exxracer
07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
e-start sucks i hate too say it man i got one and my last 2 races i sat on the line while everyone went off and got a good lead on me so i had to work my way up it would be alot easier to start with them and it will not start worth a crap when you choke it down and it is hot

some mx guys may not have probs with it but it kills some of us xc guys on starts

ChrisSekerak
07-14-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm not sure where your getting your numbers from for the kick start mod on the 06.

You have to purchase all of the parts for the kick starter from the 06 not 05. The list totals up to a little over $500. You purchase every part that the 2006 kickers have.

Quotes from the Service Honda.

The issues are not that the battery is not strong enough, it's the decompression system.

trx400exxracer
07-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ChrisSekerak
I'm not sure where your getting your numbers from for the kick start mod on the 06.

You have to purchase all of the parts for the kick starter from the 06 not 05. The list totals up to a little over $500. You purchase every part that the 2006 kickers have.

Quotes from the Service Honda.

The issues are not that the battery is not strong enough, it's the decompression system.

i was getting my numbers from Santo he said $250 it would cost more for the rear plastic but you really dont need that:D

450ERRRRRR!
07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
No problem here with my e-start. I did turn up the idle a little.:D

Dave400ex
07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
A lot aren't having any problems, but for XC it is bad, to slow. It is better to start in neutral though.

I sent the parts list.

trx400exxracer
07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
A lot aren't having any problems, but for XC it is bad, to slow. It is better to start in neutral though.

I sent the parts list.

and i recieved it

i appreciate it man:D

ohh and also after you rejet it it has worse troubles it starts better when it is lean i noticed that after i rejetted it

Dave400ex
07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
When I put the full exhaust on with air filter and took the lid off, it didn't seem like it did much for the starting, good or bad. I want to get it dynoed. I think the biggest issue is that it won't start when it's hot.

trx400exxracer
07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
When I put the full exhaust on with air filter and took the lid off, it didn't seem like it did much for the starting, good or bad. I want to get it dynoed. I think the biggest issue is that it won't start when it's hot.

yeah but did you rejet if you just put a lid on and aftermarket air filter that would mean it is more lean that it is rich or you might live in a diff sea level than me cause they come from the factory lean

playhorse
07-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah,

I'm getting fed up with the whole electric start thing. I took it to Pismo last weekend (sea level) and adjusted the idle to help me with the morning starts. I went trail riding in the mountains todau (6K ft.) and the damn thing didn't even want to start. My wife jumped on her Suzuki Z250 and started it right up. I was pissed. She was already two miles down the trail by the time I caught up with her after fussing with my choke/idle or whatever.

Is it the battery that is the weak link. Why can I turn this thing over without a fuss. I've done the leave it in neutral, turn up the idle, don't touch the throttle thing and it works okay once it has been running, but it won't start for shat cold.

Needless to say I am disappointed. The suzuki Z250 goes everywhere and does everything without a hitch.

ChrisSekerak
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
it all depends on what mods you are running with what jetting set up you have in your carb.

I'm from ohio. I run hrc cam, hrc rev box, hrc header w/hmf pipe, velocity intake/no air box with k&n clamp on.

my pilot is 50
fuel screw 2.5 - 3 turns out
main jet 185 - 195

I am sure yours would be different at 6k

playhorse
07-17-2006, 12:58 PM
I have an '06 with HRC kit jetted to those specs. I live in central California so on any given weekend I can be from sea level to +8K ft. Though I know one jet setting can't be expected for this whole range I would at least like the quad to start. I love the Honda and how it performs, but I shouldv'e opted for the EFI.

fox17
07-17-2006, 01:14 PM
just be a man and get the kick start version you lazy idiots.

trx400exxracer
07-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by fox17
just be a man and get the kick start version you lazy idiots.

find me one:eek2:

im not lazy i tried to get a kick but i am adding kick i wanted kick ohh and im deffinately not an idiot you dont even own one so you cant say anything

i dont wont to hear "well my friend said" you dont know about something until you actually have it

red2004 TRX450R
07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
correct me if i am wrong but the ER's don't have a Hot Start button. has any XC guys tryed putting a R carb on a ER??

I know with my R if you dont use the hot start when its hot it will not start. but with it starts first kick almost always.

:confused:

trx400exxracer
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
correct me if i am wrong but the ER's don't have a Hot Start button. has any XC guys tryed putting a R carb on a ER??

I know with my R if you dont use the hot start when its hot it will not start. but with it starts first kick almost always.

:confused:

i wonder if that would work

Dave400ex
07-17-2006, 05:42 PM
It has been tried and didn't work. Mark Baldwin was suppose to be working on some kind of hot start setup, but I called last Thursday and they said he has been to busy with racing to call back this fall about it. E-start shouldn't need a hot start anyways...