PDA

View Full Version : traction problem w/ 06 450r

skaydogg
07-11-2006, 08:06 AM
i have a 06 450r, I wanted to to put a good set of tires on the the rear to give a little bit more traction than the stock tires.So I bought the razor1 6 ply,and now I spin a lot worse,the stock tires are better,so now I am trying to figure out what tire would be best for me.I ride up above tower city, some woods,coal trails and hill climbs. any body have any ideas! I am also running 4.5lbs of air in the rear.

ohsobad_chevy
07-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Check out the holeshot HD's, they grip really well, keep in mind they are very soft and wear out relatively fast.

rooster300ex
07-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I like losing traction. I don't race either though so its fun to me. 20in Fast Trekkers grip up good. I know from personal expierence.

07-11-2006, 11:17 AM
i run the irazr rears. they grip good when you want them to, but are easy to break free if need be...

QuadJunkies
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
What gearing are you running?? Sometimes that can be part of the traction issue as well

I-Razrs are great tires! So are the knarlys. but will wear fast if your ride on a more dry/hard packed area.

Ill be doing a I-Razr tire write here soon as we are testing a full set in a few dif. riding areas instead of just one.Hopefully we will get some wet conditions to give them a really good review! :macho

Holeshots are another great tire for Traction

07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
maxxis razr tires are built to work in dry conditions, with hard pack, not in loose coal etc, they are also built to have a controlled slide in corners

the best tire for you would be either the irazr or the razr2, both of these tires are built to hook up in loose conditions, as well as mud, rocks, and any other type of stuff you need traction in

as for the irazr fronts quadjunkie, the good thing about them is that they are radials, so they absorb a lot of impacts, and will make your shocks feel very plush and soft, a lot more then normal, but i didnt like them very well, didnt seem to hook up as good as my 21 or 22 inch razr2 fronts, so i stuck with them, they work in some conditions, i hope you like them, be sure to get tire balls in them tho, cuz they do flex a lot, giving them a higher chance for punctures

QuadJunkies
07-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
maxxis razr tires are built to work in dry conditions, with hard pack, not in loose coal etc, they are also built to have a controlled slide in corners

the best tire for you would be either the irazr or the razr2, both of these tires are built to hook up in loose conditions, as well as mud, rocks, and any other type of stuff you need traction in

as for the irazr fronts quadjunkie, the good thing about them is that they are radials, so they absorb a lot of impacts, and will make your shocks feel very plush and soft, a lot more then normal, but i didnt like them very well, didnt seem to hook up as good as my 21 or 22 inch razr2 fronts, so i stuck with them, they work in some conditions, i hope you like them, be sure to get tire balls in them tho, cuz they do flex a lot, giving them a higher chance for punctures

We wont be using tire balls, we dont go alot of places that we can justify the expense.Ill take BOTH sets to be safe for the wk end though.

We have already started testing the tires.Once at WORCS ,MX track and were now heading to the woods .The final place will be at a local duning/dirt mix /trails .

So far we have liked the fronts,but will most likely stick with the Rarzr2's up front,we liked that combo better.The bad thing is how hot and dry it is right now, Im hoping we might get some rain to get some muddier riding conditions but I guess we wont know till we get up in the woods,that could change I guess! :D

Ill save the rest for the write up. :)

DJJ450r
07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I love my HD rears, they don't wear that fast and hook up better than the razr 2 IMO. The I razrs wear fast and puncture easy, my friend popped 4 balls in one race:blah: I've never popped any balls in my HDs:macho and almost all of our races are rocky ones.:D

07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
We wont be using tire balls, we dont go alot of places that we can justify the expense.Ill take BOTH sets to be safe for the wk end though.

We have already started testing the tires.Once at WORCS ,MX track and were now heading to the woods .The final place will be at a local duning/dirt mix /trails .

So far we have liked the fronts,but will most likely stick with the Rarzr2's up front,we liked that combo better.The bad thing is how hot and dry it is right now, I hope hoping we might get some rain to get some muddier riding conditions but I guess we wont know till we get up in the woods,that could change I guess! :D

Ill save the rest for the write up. :)

ya i liked the razr2 with rear irazr better also, the fronts arent bad in the mud, but they dont seem to clean out or dig in as well as the razr2, but that could just be because of the solid tread block in the middle, maybe if you cut grooves it would?

i cant wait to c what u thought about them :macho

QuadJunkies
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
maybe if you cut grooves it would?

i cant wait to c what u thought about them :macho

You know...thats not a bad idea!

07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
You know...thats not a bad idea!

;) , if you need to kno how to cut the rears, send me a pm and i can tell you how to do that also

skaydogg
07-22-2006, 10:48 AM
I also found too much oil in the trans,clutch basket,about 3/4 of a cup, over filled,and a dealer service it last.So i know that wasn't right.i haven't rode it yet since i drained it.But looking for ideas.

st8jacket
07-23-2006, 06:36 AM
actualy the honda stockers are some of the better tires for up that area..like ac/dc hills nearfrackville,and st.clair...if your gonna hit up shamokin run paddles......on coal hill...just need to get your weight over the back end and you will hook up..In the loose coal shale your gonna have problems with traction no matter what tires you run...

CannondaleRider
07-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Razr 2's are the ultimate in traction on my bike.

I run Razr 1's now, because Razr 2's are to much traction, my front end is never on the ground.

I'll only run Razr 2's in Mud or Sand, or as spares

QuadJunkies
07-23-2006, 08:22 PM
;) , if you need to kno how to cut the rears, send me a pm and i can tell you how to do that also
I just finished up the shoot this wk end on a sweet trail ride. This pic will be one of the ones in the write up

I just wish I could have done it with some wet terrain. Each ride was hotter than he!! :grr:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/QuadJunkies/IMG_6826.jpg

bansheexcracer2
07-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Get hd's. They hook up awsome and yes they are soft but they dont wear hardley at all. I have half a race seson on mine plus I ride on them any time i ride and they havent even worn 1/16th of an inch. My friend has 2 full sesons on his.

07-23-2006, 08:46 PM
now thats the kind of pics i like to c!!!! :macho

QuadJunkies
07-23-2006, 09:01 PM
now thats the kind of pics i like to c!!!! :macho

kinda "earth shattering" :D :p

07-23-2006, 09:38 PM
kinda "earth shattering" :D :p

or face shattering for any rider behind him lol