PDA

View Full Version : new to this all

dirtdad
07-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey all, I bought my son a eton viper 90r. He is expressing an intrest in racing and want him to. what should I do to this thing to help it out first. I know the possibilities are probably endless, but i wanna start slow incase he decides he doesnt like it.

Plus we bought it used but in good condition. only a year old. On the muffler though a screw is missing underneath and all the exhaust is coming out of it instead of the spark arrestor. Is this normal or beneficial? Thanks for any help.

Livin4Real
07-10-2006, 10:07 PM
The r model isn't very race friendly from what I've heard due to the reverse on it. Check with Billy Holt on the etons.

mxdad423
07-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Yea he's right the R model stands for reverse and it isn't racer friendly first of all it is like almost 40lbs heavier and the first thing you will learn about the minis is the more weight you can get rid of the better, the tranny drags a little more because of the reverse plus it is more complicated, you can't put a pipe on it because of the big tranny the pipe won't clear the tranny.If you are going to get serious into racing trade it in on a regular viper 90. The bolt in the bottom of the muffler is like a clean out bolt, you will see some people take it out and say it runs better but it don't the stock pipes have no expansion chamber and without an expansion chamber it is not going to really perform no matter what you do with it.Feel free to e-mail me on my personal e-mail at kevinsmitley@aol.com anytime and I can give you my phone # and give you an idea of what you need to do if your kid likes it and you decide to really get involved.:) :) :) Good luck

dirtdad
07-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks mxdad,

I woke up friday morning and thought about that bolt some more. When I put the bolt in while the motor was running it would cut off, and if I put it in then tried to start it, it would not start. So I remembered about the spark arrestor. I pulled it out and it was filthy, water wouldnt even run out of it through the screens. I cleaned and soaked it for hours, put it back in with the drain screw in, and man did it sound and run better. white smoke was actually coming out of the silencer finally. So at least that was solved. I also talked to a guy I found that builds some eton racing quads in virginia. He was alot of help and mentioned about the 90r being a bad racing engine. He told me the best thing to do is buy a used engine without the reverse and swap them out. But before doing that I need to work on the suspension. He said the suspension on the eton is horrible and could throw a kid off if landing hard enough. So thats my next project. I just dont know where to start. A Arms & swing arms or shocks? I read on a blaster forum that factory shocks wont work on upgraded arms so it almost sounds like you have to do both at the same time. Any suggestions? Thanks

newnick
07-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Look up Profab for your suspension and WRH racing for your motor. Billy at WRH can most likely get you in touch with Profab.

mxdad423
07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I just switched my boys to dual a-arms the a-arms I had on there before was +3 +1 singles and you could use those arms with stock length shocks. I actually have a set of works shocks that only have about 10 races on them that I am going to sell because with the duals you have to use a longer shock. The gentleman that told you about the suspension is absolutley right, that is the most important part, You can have all the power and speed you want but if the suspension can't handle it it does you no good and the stock suspension on the e-tons like any other stock shock is way too stiff. I have built e-tons to race and the suspension is always the first thing I do....

dirtdad
07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
ok, well that sounds right then. If you wanna sell those arms and shocks let me know how much. Im definately interested.

mxdad423
07-18-2006, 10:06 AM
I already sold the arms but still have the shocks and the rear shock will also be for sale in a week or two it is also a works and was bought the same time as the fronts. Let me know if your interested

Spider 171
07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I have extended A-Arms and Works Shocks like new and outerwears on them from the start.
I have the Quad listed on the Classifieds, but it is close to getting the new bike so I am considering parting it out it is full Race Ready. Give me a call! (518) 643-0163 Maybe we can work out a deal?