PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

bansheerider4
07-10-2006, 04:39 PM
i have a 2000 banshee that i bought from a guy a maybe last month for my first fourwheeler. so since its my first one i dont really know much about the things inner workings.and i was just wanted to know if something could be wrong cuz when i take it out of my garage to go ride it takes alot of kicks to start it and then once it gets started it doesnt idol by its self so you have to constantley give it gas..which is annoying..and i want to fix this problem cuz were we ride were not really allowed to and if the cops come i dont want to be the one left behind tryin to start it...but if i ride it for maybe 20 mins stop and then try to start it no problem goes like a champ...but if i let it sit for more then a hour it becomes a bi**h...so if theres anyway to fix this your help is appreciated..thank you

flip73
07-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Check the easy stuff first though. Got good gas in it? Check plugs and air filter...Whatcha got for intake? Still have TORS? If so, invest in TORS elimination kit, then store the TORS crap where it belongs - garbage.

If that's all good, check yer compression, it's probably low that's why it starts hard. If it's low it's time for a top end. As far as idle, may just need idle turned up, or jetting dialed in a little or carb cleaning.

bansheerider4
07-10-2006, 09:14 PM
yea it has good gas in it..could it be that i mix to much oil with the gas cuz i put a little more cuz i like to run a lil more so i dont burn the pistons or what not.i have the stock in take im kinda new to this so whats TORS mean? and how do i check the compression?:huh

flip73
07-11-2006, 05:51 AM
TORS is throttle override system, it's the big boxy things that sit on top of your carbs and make your life miserable - if not now, they eventually will. I know Toomey makes an elimination kit that comes with pretty good instructions, so I've heard anyway, never used any of them though. (When I ditched my TORS I put the Trinity single carb on.)

Gotta get a compression tester to do a compression test. It's a good tool to have. It's just a hose with a gauge at one end, other end is threaded like end of spark plug. Screw it in a plug hole and kick it over a few times. If yer stock, much less that 100 psi and you'll need a top end. And the cylinders should be no more that 10% different max.

How much extra oil are you adding? Most run around 32:1, some of my friends run up to 40:1 though. If you're mixing to 32:1 and adding oil, you're dropping the ratio to more like 2(?):1 which, contrary to the Yamaha manual, is usually too rich.

robjohn74
07-11-2006, 07:10 AM
32.1 is what you run...what mods ...what is your jetting...

bansheerider4
07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
i have no mods on it and i dont know what the jetting is:confused:

flip73
07-11-2006, 12:12 PM
One thing I didn't think of earlier, is your choke tube still connected on your carbs? It will run like a turd if's off. It's the black tube that goes straight from one carb to the other. Long shot, but worth a 2 second look.

Your problem will most likely be low compression or jetting. Need to get a starting point where you are now though. Ideling and poor starting will be your air screw & pilot. I think stock pilot is 25, maybe 27.5...someone else may be able to confirm. But either way, someone may have screwed with it so pull and verify the pilot first. Also see where your air screw is set. Compression test is still a good idea if you have access to a tester too. Also let us know what mix ratio you are running, 32:1 will be perfect as Robjohn said...if it super rich now, drain that crap out and mix up some freash 32:1.

Once we have that we can prob dial in what you have going on there.

bansheerider4
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
i use 28:1 if im not mistaken...it works well smokes once you first give it gas but thats the only time