PDA

View Full Version : chain wore?

Honda#4
07-10-2006, 04:35 PM
sorry about another chain question from me but does my chain look wor to u guys or is it just me heres some pics sorry they r blury alittle.please give me your ideas on what i should do thanks.

Honda#4
07-10-2006, 04:35 PM
last one

GPracer2500
07-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I can't tell anything from that picture. Look at your sprokets--it's easier to see wear on them. If your sprockets are worn than so is your chain.

Sjorge450R
07-10-2006, 05:26 PM
looking at the sprocket teeth, it seems the sprocket is worn. Time for a new chain/sprockets. Go with a DID ATV X ring.

EXevan91
07-10-2006, 05:32 PM
nah go with a did o-ring no reason to get x-ring if u want "the best" u could go with side winder but...$$$

Honda#4
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
money is no option for me i want the best u can get, i was looking at maybe getting a 13 in the front and 38 in the back and what length do i need for that.

Sjorge450R
07-10-2006, 05:59 PM
um. chain and sprockets should be changed about every year. Or about half year if you race. I have been using a X ring and its amazing. I think I paided $75 for the chain and I use steel sprockets so all together its about $100.

The chain is the most important part on the quad basicaly. with out, you cant move. Dont cheap out, get the X ring and get some decent sprockets.

EXevan91
07-10-2006, 06:47 PM
if money is no option http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/ the best money can buy.

and an x-ring chain really isnt any better i mean wow the shape of a lil rubber ring... why pay more when u can still have that rubber ring but a diff shape.
w/e

Sjorge450R
07-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by EXevan91
if money is no option http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/ the best money can buy.

and an x-ring chain really isnt any better i mean wow the shape of a lil rubber ring... why pay more when u can still have that rubber ring but a diff shape.
w/e

do you know anything about X rings??? First they have a higher tensile strenght than O-rings.Second. O-rings only contact the chain in 2 spots where as the X ring contacts in 4. You obvisualy didnt know this.

EXevan91
07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
IMO its still a lil rubber ring all it does is luburcait the chain... ppl did juet fine before the lil rubber rings were in chain... w/e

lets just call this undesided and stop argueing

can u ever love me agian ?

jk :)

Sjorge450R
07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
IMO its still a lil rubber ring all it does is luburcait the chain... ppl did juet fine before the lil rubber rings were in chain... w/e

lets just call this undesided and stop argueing

can u ever love me agian ?

jk :)

Oh I wasnt argueing with you. I was just trying to help better educate you on the X-rings acually do.

GPracer2500
07-10-2006, 07:55 PM
IMO, the very best chain "O/X-ring" type chain is the DID ERV3. They're pricey (MSRP is about $170, I think) but the best. Not only strong, with the lastest o-ring technology, but very low drag--much lower than most o-ringed chains. Might be overkill on a 400EX though.

http://www.hardracing.com/images/520Chainkit.jpg

The ERV2 is great too (but discontinued).

Wildbrain
07-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Don't waste your $$$ on a Sidewinder chain.
Biggest piece of $hit on the market !!!

ohsobad_chevy
07-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Wildbrain
Don't waste your $$$ on a Sidewinder chain.
Biggest piece of $hit on the market !!!

ROFL... you have absolutely lost your mind, you prolly have NO experience with chains at all!! :eek: :eek:

bwamos
07-11-2006, 08:23 AM
IMO its still a lil rubber ring all it does is luburcait the chain...

Not to discredit you or anyhting.. just for informational purposes...

The o-rings / x-rings dont lubricate the chain.. infact they add drag.

The o-ring adds mroe drag due to a larger single contact area on each side. The x-ring has less with 2 smaller contact areas on each side.

What they do is keep debris out of the pivot points. They are much like a bearing seal.

X-Rings are a bit better, because they have a double barrier, and have less inital drag. (drag on both are minimal due to the chain lube anyway.)

That being said... I've never had an issue with jsut using an o-ring chain for your average rider. If you race.. you're normally going to be changing you chain due to stretch, not wear, so even then a lot of racers use o-ring for cost savings.

I don't think I've ever seen a chain fail from the joints wearing out. They almost always fail from stretching and getting brittle (snap).

rooster300ex
07-11-2006, 09:40 AM
From the pic i can kinna see where it has rubbed on the skid or something. I use a chain untill there is no more adjustment, then i take a link or 2 out and use it till it doesn't have anymore adjustment then i get a new one.

I think i'm gonna stick to my ol primary drive sprockets and chains. Next time i see them kinna prices for sprockets and chains. I'm gonna make sure i got a hold of the computer desk so i don't fall over out of the chair.lol

Honda#4
07-11-2006, 09:54 AM
this is still the stock chain on there and how far can u ajust the chain before it bottoms out,and last night i looked on the net for chains and sprockets and there is not one 13t sprocket out there so what do i have to do if i were to get a 14t to get the same results as a 13t sprocket sorry if i confused any of u.

Wildbrain
07-12-2006, 02:55 AM
ROFL... you have absolutely lost your mind, you prolly have NO experience with chains at all!!

Chevy Boy, Just go ahead and keep waisting your $$$ on Sidewinder Chains. They just love guys like you that seem to have more $$$$ than brains.

ohsobad_chevy
07-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Wild brain, Have you ever ran a side winder? They are proven to be the toughest chain on the market...I'm sure some of these guys can back me up on here. I have owned a gold series and a TI series and they both lasted longer than any other chain I have had or seen. My cousin swears by them as well, he has been running side winders for 15 years now. My cousin and I both have had DID, renthal, regina, and RK chains. The side winders have out lasted them all, by far!! When they cease to stop performing, I will probably switch to DID. My 2 cents!;)

swva400ex
07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
this is still the stock chain on there and how far can u ajust the chain before it bottoms out,and last night i looked on the net for chains and sprockets and there is not one 13t sprocket out there so what do i have to do if i were to get a 14t to get the same results as a 13t sprocket sorry if i confused any of u.

there is a line on the swing arm and carrier when they line up the carrier is getting ready to cam over. the 13 tooth is for the newer 05 and 06

CannondaleRider
07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
I've never ran a Sidewinder chain, but I have ran their sprockets, and they are GREAT. My brother-in-law, sister, and I have all put many many hours on Sidewinder Titanium sprockets, without the slightest bit of wear.

As for the chain, Regina 520 Quad X-Rings have been treating us REAL well, hardly stretch, we've never broke one, and they look brand new. Just a great chain

I've used a DID before, and so has my brother-in-law, and both of them broke far to soon.

ohsobad_chevy
07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Ive only had one DID chain, it did really well for me, but I was also 12 years old, riding a yamaha blaster through the woods. I never really rode it hard enough to test it's limits. I have never owned a regina on any of my quads, but my buddy swears by them as well. Regina will be my next brand to try out. :cool:

Honda#4
07-12-2006, 04:36 PM
i have a moose cataloge and it has in there a 13t sprockets for a 99 to 06.if i go with a 14 t what sprocket in the rear should i match with it to get good bottom end.

tltcracing
07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
i have a RK no seal (no o-ring/x) and if i keep it well lubed it works awsome. cost me $40 and i have had it for a year now with little to no streching and i race mx every weekend.