PDA

View Full Version : shavings in oil filter, what now?

lil_billy_300ex
07-10-2006, 04:14 PM
i changed the oil on my 450r last night and there were a few shavings in the oil filter, it looked to be aluminum, what should i do now, i bought this quad in oct. of last year and this is an early 05 quad. i change my oil often, and i always look for shavings in the filter cuz i heard the rumor about bad crank bearings in the late 04s and early 05s. should i keep running it or go for a complete tear down? thanks

GPracer2500
07-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Kinda depends on exactly how big and how many metal bits you found. I can find metal in many of the filters I replace on my bikes/quad. I cut the paper element out of all my filters, stretch it out, and examine. It's a good practice I think....

If the metal was minimal, I don't know I would be too worried. Put in fresh filter/oil and change it again soon. Look again for metal....

4ABURN
07-10-2006, 06:47 PM
thats what I would do also. Filter is doing its job I would not get to worried YET.

lil_billy_300ex
07-10-2006, 07:45 PM
thanks guys, ill race it friday and saturday ill change the oil on it again and take a look at the filter.

tcr450r
07-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Was the amt. of shavings on the filter pretty noticable or was it just a few specs. I would base it on that.

Take it from me, I just got done with this B.S. I changed my filter one day and it was covered with aluminum shavings. I took it to my dealer because I have an extended warranty and I insisted that they change the crank bearing before they do anything. They tryed telling me that my shavings were do to me sucking in dirt through the intake. Therefore they replaced the whole top end. Everything but, the crank bearing. I got it back, rode it for approx 6 hours, and it locked up. Turns out, it was the CRANK BEARING all along, just like I told them.

I say, if you have a warranty, get it checked out as soon as possible.

lil_billy_300ex
07-10-2006, 09:04 PM
i bought my R used, i dont have warrenty, but im going to talk to a few mechanics at my local honda dealer tomarrow.

lil_billy_300ex
07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
i have never seen any shavings on my filter before, but there were a few shavings on this last one, not many.

ThumPIN_450R
07-10-2006, 11:20 PM
In most cases it's not the crank bearing but actually the lower rod bearing. I've locked up three of them.

firefighterjosh
07-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
In most cases it's not the crank bearing but actually the lower rod bearing. I've locked up three of them.

OMG:eek2: You must beat on it pretty bad.

kyex40047
07-12-2006, 10:51 PM
My bike was running fine during a race, It all the sudden stopped running like I stalled it out. When i tried to restart it, it was locked up. I started to tear into it and saw just pile of metal when I pulled the righteide case cover off. It was the thrust washers on the connecting rod. I had to get a new crankshaft, new bottomend bearings, oil pump, plus alot more stuff, and it cost me $1200 to fix everything.

lil_billy_300ex
07-12-2006, 11:18 PM
ouchy! im really starting to get scared about mine now

tltcracing
07-13-2006, 12:39 PM
i find metal in mine a lot, not a lot of shavings nor are they big but there are shavings in the filter most of the time. if it just sarted then just keep an eye on it. i change the oil alot (about every 1 1/2 hours) but then again i really beat on mine, i beat on it then baby it up in the shop and have had no probs with my 05 in 2 years.

lil_billy_300ex
07-13-2006, 05:37 PM
lol, thats sounds like me, thanks guys for the info, i think im just going to keep watching my filter like tltcracing said and if get bad then i well tear it down, thanks again.

GEARSMOKER
07-14-2006, 07:09 AM
i have a few shavings every change nothing big. you'll know when you have crank troubles,when my friends crank went out his entire filter housing was caked with shavings, so much you couldn't see the filter.it sounds like a joke, but if i didn't see it i wouldn've believed it. i'm a car tech, and every time we're in an engine there are a small amount of shavings,it's just the nature of machines and friction, and such. just keep changing your oil, its very cheap insurance.

lil_billy_300ex
07-15-2006, 09:40 AM
well i raced my 450r last night and the motor held strong, i even ended up taking first. i was pretty happy about that, but i checked the oil filter this morning and i noticed 2 tiny specs of metal/aluminum. so im not too worried any more. im going to keep running it and changing the oil. thanks guys.

chad502ex
07-16-2006, 08:15 AM
most of the non-metallic shavings are from the crankshaft journel feelers pushing into the center cases as pictured. These crankshaft feelers are designed to provide the person changing the oil an indication of catastrophic damage will occur before it actually does; kinda-like what brakes feelers squeeling on cars sound like before they fail

Kilabanshee was fortunate enough to notice the condition of the engine oil during changes and immediately split the cases before failure to investigate. Here's what I located.

chad502ex
07-16-2006, 03:31 PM
just wanted to close what kilabanshees engine looks like when rebuilt to remove all the metal fillings..

BLING!

firefighterjosh
07-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Why is it called Kilabanshee???:devil: Bring it lol

chad502ex
07-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Why is it called Kilabanshee???:devil: Bring it lol

that is the name of the fella's callsign I am building it for.

he goes by kilabanshee on forum talk.

GPracer2500
07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Here's a pic of a filter that got so clogged (as the bottom end failed) that it completely clogged the filter (a SS type in this case). It eventually colapsed under the pressure of oil trying to get through....

http://www.speedofheat.com/cap/images/death1.jpg

This was on an XR650R engine.

chad502ex
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM
:eek2: