PDA

View Full Version : How neccesary are the dust seals?

Iliketogofast
07-10-2006, 03:37 PM
How neccesary are the dust seals that go on the swingarm pivot bolt? I took my swingarm off in my friend's garage the other day and his GF swept them up, but I put it back together anyways. I figured if I needed them I'd put em on later.... I gotta redo all my bearings soon anyway (ALL of them - front to back except the acle carrier).

Also, now when I quickly pump the rear end down and compress the suspension, it makes a click right as starts coming up. It only does it if I do it fast, not slow... What is it?

Thanks guys.

250r4life
07-10-2006, 03:45 PM
some people actually say not to use them, their basis being the water that the seals trap in there is worse than the dust it keeps out...

i personally still use them....

Iliketogofast
07-10-2006, 04:51 PM
All right then, good. I didn't want to shop aroudn for those things anyways.

Any idea what that click is?

agarbs87
07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I have no idea if this will help but when i had my 250r the rear shock hit the skid plate and made a noise.

Iliketogofast
07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't have any skid plates except for the plastic one under the engine... It sounds like it might be coming from the upper shock mount, but I tightened it down good.

TheFontMaster
07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I never put them on when I built my R. Since I started from scratch I didn't even realize they were suposed to be there untill someone told me they weren't there when they saw a pic. I never put them on, and I have about 5 months of riding on the machine and the berrings are still good, and show no signs of wear.