PDA

View Full Version : intercooler

pekasdam
07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
would an intercooler normally used for vehicles work on a 400ex? do you need to have a turbo?

phildogg
07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
it would cool the air coming into the intake but I don't think that it would be that big of a deal in performance..
phil

pekasdam
07-10-2006, 03:57 PM
if i dont gain much in performance? would it allow me to ride it for a longer period of time?

Wheelie
07-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Intercoolers generally apply to turbo's only. Don't waste your time trying to install one on your quad. It'll gain nothing but excess weight.

bh2285
07-10-2006, 05:41 PM
haha.

patches85
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Just put a B&M blower on it!:devil:

bayou boy
07-10-2006, 06:27 PM
i think a 6-71 gm would look alot cooler than a b&m

patches85
07-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by bayou boy
i think a 6-71 gm would look alot cooler than a b&m

With two four barrels, that would rock!!!

bayou boy
07-10-2006, 06:36 PM
dont forget to polish it.....that is worth at least 5hp

NacsMXer
07-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Intercoolers generally apply to turbo's only. Don't waste your time trying to install one on your quad. It'll gain nothing but excess weight.

Intercoolers are often effective when used with turbos AND superchargers alike.

A turbo or supercharger is nothing more than an air compressor. By the laws of physics, when you compress air to get boost, you in turn get heat as a byproduct. That super hot air is low in density, kills the overall power, and increases the chances of deadly fuel preignition.

An intercooler brings that hot air charge closer to the ambient air temperature outside, depending on the efficiency of it. Cooler air means denser air, denser air means more power.

On an engine that is naturally-aspirated (anything without forced induction), it draws in air that is already at ambient temperature. Nothing is being compressed, so the intake air is not heated. Therefore, an intercooler will be of no benefit like Wheelie said; merely an addition of unneccessary weight ;)

Now, the EXCEPTION to all said above would be an air to air intercooler with either a CO2 or N2O external spray system to chill the intercooler to temperatures FAR below ambient. While this would work in theory on a naturally-aspirated quad, think about what is actually going to happen when you spray. On any quad that uses a carb, the Air/Fuel ratio is going to be driven way lean everytime you spray the intercooler. It's not a bad idea in theory for EFI quads possibly, but still not very practical for much due to weight concerns :ermm:

patches85
07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NacsMXer
[B]Intercoolers are often effective when used with turbos AND superchargers alike.

A turbo or supercharger is nothing more than an air compressor. By the laws of physics........blah blah blah!!!

Most of pretty much understand what a blower or supercharger does, what I want to know is what the hell it has to do with a 400ex? If you got that kinda money to waste just buy one of those 250r kits from service honda!!!

pekasdam
07-11-2006, 09:19 AM
thanks guys, where can i get a B&M blower? and how much would it cost? what were to happen if i ran intake tubing to the front of the bike so i can get more air into the engine. would there be a significant increase in horsepower?

400exstud
07-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by pekasdam
thanks guys, where can i get a B&M blower? and how much would it cost? what were to happen if i ran intake tubing to the front of the bike so i can get more air into the engine. would there be a significant increase in horsepower?

Your kidding right?:p

You could sell your quad and get a worked 450 for that price.

pekasdam
07-11-2006, 10:16 AM
theyre that expensive? what about my second idea?

bayou boy
07-11-2006, 04:20 PM
the 6-71 has a higher horsepower capability than the B&M;)

patches85
07-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Just put a small block in it!!!

pekasdam
07-12-2006, 01:06 PM
thanks guys. ill try and work something out.