PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft

hondamxerd
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
i am debating on whether or not to attempt a repair on an 03 400ex. the cylinder sleeve had broke and and fell into the motor. the only way i could imagine getting all the pieces out is to go into the bottom in. is this a repair that i should attempt? top engine repair i have done before, but i have never split a case. If i do attempt this, should i go ahead and put a better crank in while i am there? any help, pics, info would be very helpful in this, thanks

07-10-2006, 01:45 PM
i would take the top end off and give it a a shop b/c i think u need to press out the crank.

honda460ex
07-10-2006, 05:00 PM
You need a puller for the balancer. They are like $20 or so. Definately need to split the cases to clean it up inside. Shavings could destroy bearings, gears, you name it, then cost you more in the long run. Honestly, get a good manual and go for it. If you are the least bit mechanically enclined, then you can do it. Just be careful, take your time, and pay close attention to what you are doing. But, take your left cover off, pull the balancer, take the right cover off, take the clutch and gears for the oil pump and timing chain off, then split it. Seriously, not that hard. Keeping everything in the transmission straight is as hard as it gets. Spin all of the bearings with your finger and feel for any drag or anything at all, if so, replace. Check your rod bearing and crank bearings. If they are still good, then just keep the crank. Go for it man.

DieselBoy
07-10-2006, 05:25 PM
if your in no rush and your willing to spend the time, I say go for it. It's good to know how everything in the bottom end works, and you'll save a wad of cash. i'd probably go ahead and replace it if it was worn so i dont have to worry about it...

a manual will definately be something youll need.