PDA

View Full Version : port polish?

kfx400isdashiz
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
i know to polish the exhaust and port the intake but what exactally is porting?

Wheelie
07-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Porting is removing excess material/casting flaws in the intake and exhaust ports. Ultimately it improves the engines ability to breath, making it more effecient, making it more powerful.

When it comes to porting though, bigger is not necessarily better. One wants better flow, but without sacrificing too much port velocity.

wilkin250r
07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
First off, you should NOT be doing it yourself.

Porting is changing the shape of the intake ports. Generally, you make them larger, but it's much more complicated than that. The specific size and shape are very critical to certain power characteristics. It's possible to make them larger and actually LOSE power.

This is why porting is very expensive, and should only be done by a professional. It takes lots of practice and R&D on a flow bench to determine the proper size and shape to get the flow characteristics you want.

Some companies offer an "economy" porting for relatively cheap. Do not be fooled by this, it's not a true porting job. All they do is remove bumps, burrs, and casting defects, they don't actually change the shape of the ports. You won't see a significant benifit from an "economy" porting job.

racer94
07-10-2006, 03:47 PM
wilkin250r- although i agree with most of what you said,dont be fooled yourself..if you got a very mild built motor then an economy job will boost power and torque and you will notice a difference.now if you have alot of motor mods then no an economy job will not benefit you.we build race engines for all types of motorsports and i have seen some very good gains from an economy job on small motors.

i will also say that i have seen home port jobs that flow worse then stk ports!