PDA

View Full Version : pro circuit or curtis sparks?

alaskin 450R
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
i need a new exhaust for my 88' 250r. im currently running an old fmf. its rusting away and very old. FMF doesnt even make this exhaust anymore. so i was thinking about pro circuit. i had one on my 400ex and i really liked it but. thats a four stroke. does pro circuit make a good exhaust for 2 strokes?? also my friend said that curtis sparks makes an exclent exhaust for the 250R. is this true? which would one would you recomend? i do trail riding, and want mid to top end power. your help would be grealy appreciated.

bwamos
07-10-2006, 11:15 AM
A lot of folks like the Sparks, LRD, & ESR exhausts for the 250r.

Hit the 250r forum. Loads of pipe info there. ;)

alaskin 450R
07-10-2006, 11:21 AM
alright thanks man.

-Kevin

Iliketogofast
07-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Don't get a junky generic pipe like the Pro Circuit or FMF (I hate mine!)

Get the Sparks or LRD. ESR is REALLY good if you have matched porting.

alaskin 450R
07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
no i dont have much done to this bike. i really want to keep it that way to. try to keep the engine as stock as possible with the exception on some bolt on power kits. right no i have an air filter fmf gold series and an moose racing air filter. so what LRD be the better buy or curtis sparks or CT?

Iliketogofast
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
If you can afford it, buy the LRD adjustable. You can adjust this pipe to have a longer or shorter expansion chamber, which makes for different power and more flexible fine tuning.

I really don't reccomend the generic pipes like FMF or Pro Circuit. They are 2 piece pipes and are nowhere near the performance gains of the 3 piece LRD, ESR or Sparks pipes. I do think, however, that the Sparks pipe has become very rare.

Like I said, if you have the cash go with the LRD.

korniev
07-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Iliketogofast probably never tried to use the ProCircuit. I would not say anything about the 2 stroke bikes, however my YFZ gain a **** LOAD of power after I installed my TI 4 Titanium (Pro Circuit)
Curtis Sparks is very good as well however they do not have titanium pipes so the weight loss of my pipe is bigger!
Now the idea is to compare the weight loss to power ratio and see which is better:)

400exstud
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by korniev
Iliketogofast probably never tried to use the ProCircuit. I would not say anything about the 2 stroke bikes, however my YFZ gain a **** LOAD of power after I installed my TI 4 Titanium (Pro Circuit)
Curtis Sparks is very good as well however they do not have titanium pipes so the weight loss of my pipe is bigger!
Now the idea is to compare the weight loss to power ratio and see which is better:)

My $11 parking brake block off took off nearly as much weight as your $600+ exhaust.

fireburns99
07-13-2006, 02:05 PM
first of all, the FMF pipes are GREAT all around pipes for the money! I don't know where you guys get the idea that they suck. Find me a better pipe for the price.

As far as the Pro Circuit, don't even bother. They do not have the R&D needed to make a good pipe. And i have never heard anyone say anything good about a pro circuit pipe.

Now a Sparks pipe would be ideal to get, but like someone said they have become extremely rare, and will run about 250 for a used pipe. But they are well worth it for a ported motor. Some people like the MX and some like the TT. Personally i prefer the TT.

ESR pipes are also good. You can't go wrong with there trx 5. it will give you good all around power.

If you don't have much engine work done you should just have the fmf pipe re-chromed. It will be much cheaper and it will work great on a stock cylinder. This is personally what i would do.

fireburns99
07-13-2006, 02:07 PM

I'm sorry but the weight of a pipe is negligible, and to try and factor that into a power to weight ration is crazy. The idea of a titanium pipe is crazy, its a gimmick that allows them to raise the price a couple of hundred dollars.

And to say that a sparks pipe is inferior to a Pro Circuit because they are not titanium is.... i don't even know how to describe how crazy of a statement that is. If the titanium pro circuit pipe is so great then why is it not sought after. You never hear anything about PC.

If you don't know about 2-stroke bikes, more importantly the 250r why are you responding? You're just wasting space.

korniev
07-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Well the idea about weight is that each part that can be taken off like lights, parking brake, battery, weights really few but the more titanium parts you will have and the more superflous **** you take off your quad overall it makes like 10 lb differance. For you 250R guys it does not matter that much cause your bikes are like 140lb
On a YFZ you fill this differance.
Ok course it does not really matter if install an aluminium pipe, you will not notice the differance. I was just trying to say that I actually tried to go on both of them and did not feel PC was worth or better.

I did not like the comment about me wasting space. Why do you say this? Did I offend you somehow?

Iliketogofast
07-14-2006, 04:47 AM
The Pro Circuit might be a good pipe for a YFZ, but that's not a 250R. Hell, I had one on my 400EX, but I'm not going to say I did or didn't like it because it doesn't make a difference. All of the pipes are made differently for each bike.

Also, I didn't use the Pro Circuit, but I have the FMF because it came with my bike. The FMF is a 2 piece pipe, just like the Pro Circuit, and I'm telling you they're almost the same *******ed thing. They may be a little different, but they both suck.

korniev
07-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Well actually I think you are right ! When my buddy put a pro circuit on his kawasaki kx 125 there was NO differance what so ever in the performance. However on a YFZ believe me the power gains were unbelievable. My friends have Yoshimuras and GYTRs and they suck compairing to my TI4.
Curtis is very cool as well!

Iliketogofast
07-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by fireburns99
You're just wasting space.
Well, okay. We're talking about a 2 stroke pipe. I guess the guy above me couldn't have said it any better.

korniev
07-14-2006, 06:01 AM
I see!
I hope to become an R owner as well!

fireburns99
07-14-2006, 08:19 AM
I did not like the comment about me wasting space. Why do you say this? Did I offend you somehow? [/B]

I didn't mean to offend you, let me try and say it in a less offending way. When someone specifically asks about a 250r which is a two-stroke, it will do no good to give him advice or your experiences on a four stroke pipe. They are so completely different. For example, curtis sparks made the best pipes for the 250r, simple as that...but i don't think he can ever recreate that kind of fame for one of his pipes on the new 4-strokes. Thats my opinion. So what is a great pipe for one bike may be horrible on another.

When you post information about another quad you are just muddying the waters up so to speak. Its amking it harder for the original poster to sift through and find out what pipes or information actually apply toward his quad or post. for example,

"However on a YFZ believe me the power gains were unbelievable. My friends have Yoshimuras and GYTRs and they suck compairing to my TI4. "

I'm sorry if i seemed rude, and i'm sure that your posts are appreciated, but try and keep the 2-strokes and 4-strokes separate.

And when you get an R i will welcome you to the family.
:)

fireburns99
07-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Also, I didn't use the Pro Circuit, but I have the FMF because it came with my bike. The FMF is a 2 piece pipe, just like the Pro Circuit, and I'm telling you they're almost the same *******ed thing. They may be a little different, but they both suck.

FMF actually did a LOT of R&D when the 250R came out, whereas PC was late to come into the game. Yes they're both 2 piece pipes, but that doesn't meant hat they are the same. The cahmber being a ¼" bigger in diameter can make huge difference, and you would never see it.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

But just out of curiosity which FMF pipe do you have?

ohsobad_chevy
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Sparks baby!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

matt250r21
07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
If you want the best pipe for a 250R, you want a Sparks MX or TT pipe. Best you can get. I'm still looking for a nice TT pipe, anyone got one for sale please let me know.

korniev
07-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Sure man! No problem at all!