PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bolt

duncan400
07-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Recently i was riding a cross my whoop section and all of a sudden my nerfs fall off. the one of the bolts had broken off and when trying to get it out with an easy out it broke off in the hole as well. I have been trying to drill it out but its not working. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what to do to get this darn thing out Thanks

tltcracing
07-10-2006, 10:51 AM
i thought i was the only one who has broken footpeg bolts! i just gave it to my dealer and they backed it out. i dont mess with something as important as threads on the frame. cost me 25 for both on the left side.

IOWAracer
07-10-2006, 11:19 AM
is the bolt for the nerfs on the frame? or on the nerfs them self i was gonna say if your not really careing bout the threads any more get a torch and blow it out but if you are try a new easy out

450R_lover
07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
When i was putting my motor back into the frame one of my motor mount bolts that bolt to the frame, broke. it took me like an hour to get it out... the end of it was just barely sticking out on the inside of the frame. i tried an easy out... it didnt work. I then drilled a hole in it and tried to stick a small flat head screw driver in it. That didnt work either. it loosened it a little. Then i had to take a smaller drill bit and drill through the threads of the bolt like cross ways where it was sticking out. i then took one of those pointed end screwdriver things.... just with the pointed end and stuck it in the hole and turned on it till it finally came out.

Good luck man

cdrookie
07-11-2006, 01:48 AM
easy outs are hardened and a B!tch to drill threw, need a high quality set of cobalt drills and it's still a pain to drill straight. get a die grinder with a small carbide burr and grind threw the easy out and remaining part of the bolt. if you can hold a steady hand you can grind out most of the bolt to where you'll just see the threads and use a pick or small flat head screwdriver to get the remaining threads out.

or if you have a welder place a flat washer, thats a hair smaller than the OD of the bolt, over it and put a nut on top of the washer then weld them to the broken bolt.

GEARSMOKER
07-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie
easy outs are hardened and a B!tch to drill threw, need a high quality set of cobalt drills and it's still a pain to drill straight. get a die grinder with a small carbide burr and grind threw the easy out and remaining part of the bolt. if you can hold a steady hand you can grind out most of the bolt to where you'll just see the threads and use a pick or small flat head screwdriver to get the remaining threads out.

or if you have a welder place a flat washer, thats a hair smaller than the OD of the bolt, over it and put a nut on top of the washer then weld them to the broken bolt.

if you're decent with a welder,that's the easiest fix for you now. easy out's are nearly impossible to drill through.