PDA

View Full Version : 330/350R PV Recommendation:

Inspector
07-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Appears there are several riders with 330/350R Power Valve motors on this site. I am looking to order one from a competent company, CT, ESR, LRD, etc. I am looking for feed back on your PV and who you may recommend to have one built with. Service is important also. This cylinder will be used on an aftermarket frame for MX. ........ Thanks.

matt250r21
07-09-2006, 08:42 PM
My first choice would be Sparks, but I dont think he works on them any more. You might want to try C-Leigh Racing or another smaller engine porter/ builder, I think they do better port work then some of the well known builders. Scott Currier of Atomic Racing Engines has done some very nice work for me, but has moved and I've lost touch with him. If any one knows him or has a #, please let me know.

Tom TRX250R
07-10-2006, 10:31 AM
My recommendation would be to order a non ported powervalve pro-x cylinder from ESR and send it to Neil (C-Leigh Racing) to port it to your specific riding needs. You'll get a much more specific port job than a generic ESR port job. My .02!

beerock
07-10-2006, 11:15 AM
honestly i thnk a PV is overkill on any big bore and causes more maintenence

unless you need ungodly bottom end..?

Witz
07-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I've got a 350PV from LRD and can't say enough good about it. Power is electric smooth from bottom to top. I've owned/ridden big bores without the powervalve, and for mx/trails/xc and dune riding (not drag racing) the powervalve is worth the extra investment. The only maintenance to the valve is to give it a yearly cleaning, which usually amounts to wiping it down and reinstalling, if you're using a good quality oil.

For drag racing, I'd recommend a non-pv cylinder, but for MX like you're saying, the powervalve is worth it.

Inspector
07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the info so far. Who would have the best deal on an unported PV cylinder? I have seen the PV cylinders that C-Leigh has done and they are fast. I tried to get the Sparks PV. Don't believe there are any around if many at that. I have run his 265 cylinders with great success but he won't talk about 2 stroke cylinders anymore. I have also had a few LRD cylinders that suprised me too. The big bores are new to me, this is why I am asking you guys.

Kirt13
07-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Inspector
Thanks for all the info so far. Who would have the best deal on an unported PV cylinder? I have seen the PV cylinders that C-Leigh has done and they are fast. I tried to get the Sparks PV. Don't believe there are any around if many at that. I have run his 265 cylinders with great success but he won't talk about 2 stroke cylinders anymore. I have also had a few LRD cylinders that suprised me too. The big bores are new to me, this is why I am asking you guys.

Check out www.patriotracing.com
This guy specializes in 250r and Banshees.
He has very good prices too.
I've talked to him on the phone a couple of times......really nice
and seems to know what he's talking about.
He uses ESR.
This is where I'm getting my 330 motor from.

Aceman
07-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Seems like your best bet would be just to call LRD, ESR, CT, etc and ask them what the lowest price is on an unported cylinder. Then after you've gotten prices from them, call them expensive builder back and tell them you can get it cheaper from the other one. Make them bid to get your business. At least that's how I would do it. Or if they can't beat the other builders price see if they'll throw in a jet board, temp gauge, etc for nothing or half price. I always try and work a deal when buying something expensive.

brokenbones
07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
well this is just my 2 cents i own non pv 330 and it is smooth all the way through its from esr with a 9 port i also own a patriot racing motor and its killer on the top end i had i ported for the sand it doesnt hit hard but it revs to the moon

dan from petriot is a great guy and does great work but just like any small shop hes busy busy busy one man show

just my input