PDA

View Full Version : Kustom Paint job on the Pred

wolffie
07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
i used "Frisk It" paper, masking tape, various sand paper, and a bunch of Krylon Fusion! the left side is completely done but i need to redo the right size because i screwed up on the clear coat! it should be completely done either tuesday or wednesday.

i free handed a couple of designs and ended up going with a cross design. its more of a "religious" looking cross if you will, but also resembles the West Coast Choppers cross. at any rate, i like it:D

i plan on writting a "how to" in the future. tell me what you guys think.

wolffie
07-09-2006, 07:48 PM
oh yeah, and in the above picture, the fenders have alot of dust on em because they were sittin in my garage. when you put a bit of armor all on the fender designs, they look really sharp!

wolffie
07-09-2006, 07:50 PM
^^yeah it looks "dusty" in that pic too. anyways, if anyone wants help on how to do this little project, feel free to ask.

TRX23rider
07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
looks good:cool:

smokinwrench
07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm guessing that after doing stuff like that to your fenders you plan on keeping it forever.

No way could I do that to my fenders, I plan on trading mine off for a 2007 EFI 450 Predator:D and I just see that as lowering the value even more.

Looks good though if your into that.

wolffie
07-11-2006, 07:44 PM
yeah i plan on having it forawhile, and if it becomes a sellin problem i'll just buy a new rear set from Polaris.

you sure Polaris is makin a new EFI 450 next year?:D haha, if so i might have to look into a trade....

smokinwrench
07-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by wolffie

you sure Polaris is makin a new EFI 450 next year?:D

They have too!!! The Predator has went virtually unchanged since 2003. All it has has is a trans update, reverse added, swingarm shortened 1".

I think with Polaris buying KTM your gonna see a huge upgrade for 2007. I think they have seen the light and if they want in the serious race market they have to have a 450 and it will have to be 40lbs lighter with EFI to make it to the podium. Lets face it if its not on the podium with a couple MX pros its never gonna be a dominate force on the market.

wolffie
07-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
Lets face it if its not on the podium with a couple MX pros its never gonna be a dominate force on the market.

very true! yeah these next couple of years are deffinetly going to be interesting. the new Kawi 450 is supposed to be pretty hot as well.

Iliketogofast
07-12-2006, 09:10 AM
If Polaris bought KTM (which I didn't hear about), then you aren't going to see a Polaris 450. There is going to be a KTM 450 instead.

Nobody will buy one from Polaris except for Pred fans, and you gotta face it - there aren't very many. They aren't going to loose money on the Pred 450 when they have a KTM one that TONS of people will want.

The only way you're going to see it is if they just put Pred plastics on their KTM 450, slap a Polaris sticker on, and market it as such. They aren't going to waste the extra money on R&D developing an entirely new quad - if they were going to do this they would have put a 450 motor into the Outlaw.

PolarisRider06
07-16-2006, 07:51 PM
but they wouldn't really have to put a whole lot of r&d into it. really all they would have to do is put douglas red labels all around from the factory, 18" rear tires, 20" front tires 2+3 offset front rims, and propperly spring and valve the shocks so that it doesn't sit so damn high, cut one inch or so from the bottom arms of the subframe to lower the seat height. then take the KTM 450sx motor (which is 59hp from the factory by the KTM site) and make that mount into the preddy frame. and make sure that they dont put another crappy intake onto it....

i think polaris could easily pull that off considering that there are companies that are making money off of shock revalving and springing, intakes and ktm525 swaps. and there are people who are cutting their subframes, making custom civic intakes, and swapping tires and rims out all just for better performance.

wolffie
07-17-2006, 03:14 PM

troyleepred719
07-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Predator unchanged since it came out?....yea right.........Bought an 07 troylee predator 3 weeks ago, had douglas beadlocks, mx RAZOR 2'S, and comes with the best suspension made for a quad right now.........u think they havent changed anything, butit comes witht he polaris version of hotcams, better gearing, better suspension, graphics are the best out, and the suspension is 3x better than my friends 03. .......... not only does is have awesome gearing, and horepower, its fast. ive taken out 2 raptors, a trx450r, and an outlaw. was looking at the outlaw when i bought the predator, but the suspension is a dumb set up in my opinion.......IRS on a sport quad, ead awesome for jumps, but how bout powersliding in the corners, impossible.......my pred ate it up anyways..................

smokinwrench
07-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by troyleepred719
Predator unchanged since it came out?....yea right.........Bought an 07 troylee predator 3 weeks ago, had douglas beadlocks, mx RAZOR 2'S, and comes with the best suspension made for a quad right now.........u think they havent changed anything, butit comes witht he polaris version of hotcams, better gearing, better suspension, graphics are the best out, and the suspension is 3x better than my friends 03.

I need pictures, the polaris website doesnt even show the 07's yet. Everythign you mentioned is bolt on parts. The quad needs a makeover to keep it in the ranks.

tarzan271
07-25-2006, 09:55 AM
I think you guys are missing the point.

First off, the Predator wasn't made for MX, but for the GNCC. You will never see a 450 since the 500 can run in the same class in the GNCC. Read the reviews about the Predator since '05 in the Mags. All of them say it blows away the TRX and YFZ offroad. They even sasy it is like a new machine compared to the '03 and '04 suspension.

The Outlaw's IRS is a great idea for the GNCC also. It is a first year quad and will probably take a couple of years to iron out the kinks, like all machines. It was not designed for MX which are relatively smooth. XC courses are where it will eventually dominate. Just because the YFZ or TRX are doing better on the podium doesn't mean the quad is better. They just have the best factory racers. The top racers will win no matter what quad they are on. Plus, their quads are nothing close to what you are buying at the dealer, so it's a moot point.

There isn't much love in the Polaris world, but I feel people need to rationalize their buying decisions. When you drop $5k+ on something, the last thing you want to do is tell everyone you made a mistake. Just like Chevy owners continue to dump money into a POS.:D

Everytime I ride, I meet people that have heard bad things about the Predator and are skeptical about the power and handleing. I offer to switch them Quads for a ride and they ALWAYS come back blown away. "That power is INSANE!" or "WOW! That thing handles great!" is all I ever hear. And keep in mind that my Preddy is almost stock.

After I tell them I only paid $5200 brand new for the '05 TLD asnd it came with the Fox shocks, Razr's, Douglas rims, stainless brakeline, and White Brothers E Series Pipe, they almost cry thinking about what they have into their quads.

I am not saying Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Can-AM, or Suzuki are bad. All I am saying is don't believe the gossip until you try one yourself. And who care if it is "never gonna be a dominate force on the market." As long as Polaris is making money, they will make the Predator.

tarzan271
07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Wolfie,

Sorry for the tread robbery and I'll get off my soapbox.

Nice plastics by the way and who cares if it lowers the resale. Make it YOURS and ride it like you stole it. ;)

katch26
07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
where are they pics of this 07 he keeps talking about

smokinwrench
07-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by tarzan271

I offer to switch them Quads for a ride and they ALWAYS come back blown away. "That power is INSANE!" or "WOW! That thing handles great!" is all I ever hear.

After I tell them I only paid $5200 brand new for the '05 TLD asnd it came with the Fox shocks, Razr's, Douglas rims, stainless brakeline, and White Brothers E Series Pipe, they almost cry thinking about what they have into their quads.

Same here everyone is always impressed with the ride and power.

I was choosing between the pred and the 450r I sure am glad i got a predator. My honda dealer was amoazed it came with all the extra goodies.

kc8pnd
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
wolfi let us know how that paint holds up, I want some kind of design on mine if I get new black fenders.

Floorit
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by wolffie

I like the colors of the plastics/seat combo:cool:

Sent you a PM:p

wolffie
07-27-2006, 07:01 PM
floorit, returned your PM. you got a bunch of pics headed your way!

kc8pnd, the paint job is holding up AWESOME. i have drove straight through mud, and had about a half inch of slop sitting on it, and none of the paint chipped at all. i have also aired the pred off of some pretty decent sized jumps and had no problems with flexing. its all in the prep work;)