PDA

View Full Version : dumb questions, yay

400exrules
07-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Do the studs in the 400ex hold the cylinder to the bottom(crank), or does it hold the head on?

do i really need heavy duty studs with a 416 11:1? im trying to keep it simple, so that i just have to get the cylinder bored, and i can put it back together...i dont really want to have to deal with gettin the head tapped or helicoiled for hd studs.

GPracer2500
07-09-2006, 06:02 PM
The studs hold the head to the cylinder.

The cylinder is connected to the case with bolts. The head studs stick up out of the top of the cylinder and that's what the head bolts onto. Many engines have studs that secure the head directly to the case--with the cylinder sort of smashed inbetween. That tends to be stronger than the way the EX is.

As far as if you need HD studs for a 11:1 416? All I can say is that I wouldn't skip the studs unless I had a compelling reason not to. At the minimum I would chase the original stud threads in the head (preferably with a roll tap) and take whatever precautions you can to prevent the studs from pulling (would a locking compound help [shrug]?).

400exrules
07-09-2006, 06:10 PM
k thanks. the $50 for the studs doesnt bother me, its just, i dont want to have to send my cylinder off to gt thunder to get them put in.

but when they install the hd studs, do they use a just re-tap the cylinder and the head and just put the studs in the cylinder and leave the head and cylinder seperate when they ship it back, so that i can install the piston, put the cylinder on, put the head on, and tighten down the studs in the head?

how difficult or delicate is the process? ive re-tapped a few things before, could i retap it myself and install the studs myself?

oh, and how do you tighten down the studs into the cylinder in the first place? just two nuts back to back?

(sorry for all the question, i get carried away)

GPracer2500
07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
k thanks. the $50 for the studs doesnt bother me, its just, i dont want to have to send my cylinder off to gt thunder to get them put in.

but when they install the hd studs, do they use a just re-tap the cylinder and the head and just put the studs in the cylinder and leave the head and cylinder seperate when they ship it back, so that i can install the piston, put the cylinder on, put the head on, and tighten down the studs in the head?

how difficult or delicate is the process? ive re-tapped a few things before, could i retap it myself and install the studs myself?

oh, and how do you tighten down the studs into the cylinder in the first place? just two nuts back to back?

(sorry for all the question, i get carried away)

Just talk to the machinest that's doing the bore about the studs. Explain that the manufacture of the studs stongly recommends the use of a roll form tap for installation. Be sure he has the specs for the stud height above the cylinder surface. There's not really a whole lot to it. Personally, I wouldn't try and tap them myself by hand. I'd be too worried about not keeping hole square. A machinest's mill is really the right tool for the job, IMO.

If you have studs installed, yes the cylinder and head will be seperate. Nothing about how you do the build will change, you'll just have different studs.

Two bolts tightened together will work. They also make special tools for that.

400exrules
07-09-2006, 06:40 PM
ok thanks, sounds like i better just bite the bullet and send it to gt thunder, i dont want somethin done "cheaply" or wrong