PDA

View Full Version : Attn Mechanics!!Questions about a Power Converter

QuadJunkies
07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
We went to hook up a power inverter to BOTH our car and our Dogde truck and neither the lighter or the power supply outlet would work .YET..... We used it in our freinds truck on vacation and the inverter works fine :confused:

We checked the fuses in both rigs, both show no signs of blwon fuses.

Were stumped and need it for this wk end racing out of town.

Can anyone explain what might be happeneing and what to check??

Kind of weird that it didint work in either Rig,yet it works fine in our freinds .:ermm:

wvspeedfreak
07-09-2006, 04:38 PM
QJ,you need to determine if it is a power supply problem or a ground problem.If you have a test light,test for power on the center post in the cig lighter socket.If you have power there next check the ground by connecting your test light ground to the outer ring of the cig lighter socket(the entire socket should be grounded) and then probe the center post again.If the test light lights up it has a ground.

wilkin250r
07-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, let's try the easy things first.

Did you try it with the key on?

Did you try another device in the power outlet, like a radar detector or a cell phone charger? Does the cigarette lighter itself work, will it get hot?

Much like a spark plug, even if the fuse "looks" good, go ahead and replace it. You'd kick yourself if you found out that was the problem.

When you change the fuse, try a small device first (like a cell phone charger), something that you know won't pull a lot of power. Verify it's working at a small load before you try a big load.

If the outlets don't work at all, and you know absolutely 100% that it is NOT the fuse, the only other option is to tear into it and check wires and connections.

QuadJunkies
07-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Well, let's try the easy things first.

Did you try it with the key on?

Did you try another device in the power outlet, like a radar detector or a cell phone charger? Does the cigarette lighter itself work, will it get hot?

Much like a spark plug, even if the fuse "looks" good, go ahead and replace it. You'd kick yourself if you found out that was the problem.

When you change the fuse, try a small device first (like a cell phone charger), something that you know won't pull a lot of power. Verify it's working at a small load before you try a big load.

If the outlets don't work at all, and you know absolutely 100% that it is NOT the fuse, the only other option is to tear into it and check wires and connections.

Cigarette lighter-YES... it works the car does not have a cig but has a outle source
YES.... Tried a cell phone charger in BOTH,it would not work in both.

I hope its nothing major cuase troy sucks at Electrical stuff :o

derekhonda
07-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Did you try it with the key on? My cig lighter works key or no key, but the key has to be on in order for accesories to work.

honduh440
07-09-2006, 06:53 PM
my power inverter or whatever its called doesnt work unless we are moving and the rpm's are up other wise it just sits their and beeps

QuadJunkies
07-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Did you try it with the key on? My cig lighter works key or no key, but the key has to be on in order for accesories to work.

Im sure he did, but we will check again to make sure .I remember trying it once at the track

So, how come it works in my freinds truck w/o anything running?

derekhonda
07-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Just set up differently. In my 96 dodge the truck has to be running for my cell phone to charge. In my new avalanche it doesn't have to be on.

QuadJunkies
07-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Just set up differently. In my 96 dodge the truck has to be running for my cell phone to charge. In my new avalanche it doesn't have to be on.

well, were narrowing things down a little.....

We just comfirmed that even while driving,it does not work in EITHER rig...

Its just weird to have BOTH rigs not be able to use it and yet it works fine in another.
Ill now replace all the fuses and a test light and go from there ..

QuadJunkies
07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
QJ,you need to determine if it is a power supply problem or a ground problem.If you have a test light,test for power on the center post in the cig lighter socket.If you have power there next check the ground by connecting your test light ground to the outer ring of the cig lighter socket(the entire socket should be grounded) and then probe the center post again.If the test light lights up it has a ground.

Question...

If the Cigarette lighter works, then why wouldnt the inverter work?

wvspeedfreak
07-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Question...

I'm sorry.I overlooked the part where you said the cigarette lighter works.It would have to have power and a ground then.That is strange.

Hornbreaker
07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Try this, Cut the plug from your inverter pull the two wires apart about 6 inches then stripe each leg about 1/4 inch. Then attach an alegator clip on each leg. Then open your hood and put the clips one on positive side and one on negitive side of the battery. That should run your converter.

QuadJunkies
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I'm sorry.I overlooked the part where you said the cigarette lighter works.It would have to have power and a ground then.That is strange.

Maybe its cause they both are a Dodge... :o :p lol

gbcap
07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Im sure he did, but we will check again to make sure .I remember trying it once at the track

So, how come it works in my freinds truck w/o anything running?

my truck has two diffrent style cig lighters. one that works only with the key on and one that works anytime. the one that works anytime still won't run a very big converter without the key on cause it drains too much.

wilkin250r
07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Question...

That has me stumped. What year is this vehicle?

Perhaps it has some sort of circuit-protection system. It may allow ONLY the cigarette lighter to work, or it may only allow a small device that doesn't pull much power.

But regardless, the power outlet should work, it should be specifically designed to handle a wide variety of devices, including those that pull a lot of power.

How big is the inverter?

QuadJunkies
07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
That has me stumped. What year is this vehicle?

Perhaps it has some sort of circuit-protection system. It may allow ONLY the cigarette lighter to work, or it may only allow a small device that doesn't pull much power.

But regardless, the power outlet should work, it should be specifically designed to handle a wide variety of devices, including those that pull a lot of power.

How big is the inverter?

My truck is a 2000 and the Car is an 04.
Ill have to check on the size of it when he gets home, Im not sure offhand. We did use it to charge our Cell phones a fw weeks ago on vacation in ouir freinds truck
We 1st noticed this a few months ago or so when Troy needed to plug in his impact wrench.

Rip_Tear
07-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Sorry I may have missed it, but have you checked the inverter again in someone elses vehicle. Because I've had a similar problem, then found out that it must have broken during the switching of vehicles...

QuadJunkies
07-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Sorry I may have missed it, but have you checked the inverter again in someone elses vehicle. Because I've had a similar problem, then found out that it must have broken during the switching of vehicles... yes, it works .We just used it recently in a freinds rig.

QuadJunkies
07-11-2006, 11:57 PM
well...We got it fixed in the truck!!

Apparently there is 2 SETS of fuses and we only knew of one for the truck. I just need to go and buy them tomorrow. Hopefully thats the same issue in the car :)

JOEX
07-12-2006, 06:02 PM
well...We got it fixed in the truck!!

Apparently there is 2 SETS of fuses and we only knew of one for the truck. I just need to go and buy them tomorrow. Hopefully thats the same issue in the car :)
Is this a Dodge thing? There's a fuse block under the dash and another one under the hood. I think there may another one somewhere....

About a year ago the ABS light came on on my 94 Dakota. I checked both fuse blocks but neither had a fuse for the ASB where it should. When I took it to Les Schwab they said it was the fuse:confused:

QuadJunkies
07-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Is this a Dodge thing? There's a fuse block under the dash and another one under the hood. I think there may another one somewhere....

About a year ago the ABS light came on on my 94 Dakota. I checked both fuse blocks but neither had a fuse for the ASB where it should. When I took it to Les Schwab they said it was the fuse:confused:
I know,werid huh?!! I would have never guessed,but my freinds a Mechanic and found the 2nd fuse box. :confused: