PDA

View Full Version : Sediment in my fuel

†2005 400ex†
07-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I was changin my jet today and noticed that there was sediment inthe bottom of my carberator 17 mm bolt thing. I have never taken it through mudd or anything, and it hasnt been in very much water at all, so i figured that maybe i needed a new fuel filter, but later found out that exs dont have inline fuel filters, the guy at the shop sold me a "universal" in-line fuel filter and said i can just cut my fuel line then put in the in- line. I was wondering if that is a good idea?

GPracer2500
07-09-2006, 05:46 PM
The problem I've seen with putting in an in-line fuel filter is they don't often mount very well. The fuel line between the petcock and carb just isn't very long. So you wind up barely getting it to fit without kinking any hoses.

Your petcock filter works fine. Adding an inline just creates a new place for something to kink/break/slip loose, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about minor deposites in the carb. A lot of what's in there is usually just old, gumbed-up gas that builds up on the float bowl. If you've got a layer of sand or something in there than ya, figure out where it's coming from...

my $0.02